The Diesel Garage banner

p2266 code

8K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  carl76 
#1 ·
had a check eng light. read codes, shows a p2266 which means (water in fuel sensor circuit low) changed oil today, drained fuel filter in clean container and nothing but fuel. any ideas on what it means?

#2 ·
check the plug on the bottom of the fuel filter. could be time to change fuel filter.

Reactions: dodgefarmer2
#3 ·
14995 miles, maybe its programmed in.

#5 ·
You have 18k on one fuel filter...:eek:

I wouldn't expect it to be mileage related more fuel...if you get really good clean fuel sure it would go longer but I always change my fuel filter every 10-15k..
Though if I got the water in fuel message I would prolly go ahead and change the filter as well.

#6 ·
I have on my 07 6.7 cummins 45,000 miles on the current filter, although its prefiltered at my pumps before being pumped. On some equipment I can get 2000 hrs on a filter and go 2+ yrs. when the manual says change fuel filter every 3-600 hrs. Heck I have John Deere stationary pump motors that have gone ~10,000 hrs. Then again I have a prefilter at the tank and they are 3000 gallon tanks at the pump and get filled at least twice per year at each pump.

Life of the filter depends on clean the fuel is,minimizing the moisture that gets into the fuel.

#7 ·
since we are on the subject, I was wondering how hard is the filter to change and how does it come off? I open the drain on the bottom every once in a while to check for water but I can't say that I have ever seen any and the water light has never came on but I still check it. I have been thinking of changing the filter for good measure but I didn't quite figure out how it came off.

#8 ·
They are a BIOTCH!!!!! to change compared to a 5.9 hard not to get fuel everywhere or maybe i ws really drunk the other night when i changed oil and filters LOL they have new housings out now at the dodge dealerships that you can just buy replaceable filters instead of buying whole housings...but that little burger is $7? and the replacement filters are still kinda high at $35

#9 ·
code has disappeared for now. thinking of changing mine at 20,000 at the next oil change. it looks like it could be a pain in the @$$

#10 ·
Reactions: dodgefarmer2
#12 ·
Fuzzy has a duel remote filter setup that is after market back by his fuel tank. It looks like a FASS or AD without the pump part on it. He has posted a link to it somewhere but not sure where. Unless you have added something you only have the stock filter on the drivers side of the engine block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.