The Diesel Garage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLY Overheating Fix????

19K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  JJs CAT 
#1 ·
Guys, Below is a DP post by me. I hope my posting it here is not a violation of protocol, but I thought there might be LLY wizards over here that don't hit DP. Sooo, appreciate your input.

DPers love my LLY, and so far truck has not OH. As I've stated previously, I'm a turn the key and drive guy. But .... Below is an extract from three DP threads which let's assume the 1st two are accurate. My question is whether statement in #3 below is true or NOT. If true, what's it gonna cost me to get this fix?

#2 ·
Hmmm.

3) You can either go with the V2, which is an aux radiator, or you can go with the TD-EOC, which is a larger oil cooler. It is made by a Garage Supporting Vendor, killerbee. He also has other items that go along with the cooler to help. Send him a PM, he can explain it all to you.

From all I've read, they both help fix the O/H problem.

#3 ·
The Garage has no problems whatsoever with links to posts over at the "DP", as long as they are pertanent to the topic being discussed.

But, that being said, you cannot re-post the actual wording of the DP postas that is a violation of their copyright rules. You have to link to it with a URL.

Due to that fact, I was required to delete the posts. Sorry.

#4 ·
I don't know what the overheating fix should be, but I have had ideas for several years based on my very long experience factor working on Mega Bucks $$$$ rotating machinery in the petro-chemical industry for the last 35 years. We always looked to maintain the proper temperature of the operating fluids, ie...lubricating oils, hydraulic fluids and coolants.
I decided in my case for my '05 LLY to go after the engine oil and transmission oil.
I have installed a TD-EOC system. It was a very clean and easy installation. No modifications to any of the OEM equipment is what drew me this way.
I have also installed an '06 upgraded transmission cooler. Again, no modifications to OEM equipment, except to exchange OEM '05 trans oil lines with OEM '06 trans line.
I believe that by reducing or eliminating the extra BTU's via the coolers, will enable the stock engine coolant system to do a very effective job. Past experience tells me the coolers will probably help remove heat from the coolant system also.

#7 ·
I haven't done any trailering yet, that's to come Labor Day weekend when I make a trip to the ranch.
Without a trailer, before any coolers, a run to the ranch in Texas heat (378 miles I-10) normal transmission temps were around 200*~210*. This was just with a good load (of feed corn) in the truck of about 2500lbs. Engine coolant temps would stay normal according to the OEM gauge at 210*. But when I opened the hood, it was really hot under there when I got to Uvalde.
Last weekend, after both coolers were installed, Texas heat at 94*, a 60 mile drive @ 65~70 mph, transmission temp did not rise above 162*, engine coolant temp gauge was actually moving a little from about 180* to maybe 190~195*, best I could tell. I actually pulled over under the Trinity River bridge and locked up the brakes, raised engine rpm's to 1500, and let the trans and engine heat up. It didn't take long (5 min maybe) for trans temp to come up to 205* or so, and the engine quickly came up to over 210*, maybe to 220*. I got back up on the highway to 65 mph. After about 15 miles, trans temp was back down to 162* and engine coolant temp was back down to maybe 185* to 195*, best I could tell from the OEM gauge.
I feel confident that even with a trailer, I will see similar results. I've done this kind of thing before with my 1991 GMC with a 7.4L. I had just been looking for a good setup to fit my '05 without doing a bunch of fitups myself.
So far, I'm a happy camper.

#8 ·
Ranch55 said:
I have installed a TD-EOC system. It was a very clean and easy installation. No modifications to any of the OEM equipment is what drew me this way. I have also installed an '06 upgraded transmission cooler. Again, no modifications to OEM equipment, except to exchange OEM '05 trans oil lines with OEM '06 trans line.
Ranch55:

Is your upgraded transmission cooler the Mike L. '06 cooler?

Were there any modifications required to install both the TD-EOC and Mike L. '06 cooler? :)

#9 ·
stevebos said:
Ranch55:

Is your upgraded transmission cooler the Mike L. '06 cooler?

Were there any modifications required to install both the TD-EOC and Mike L. '06 cooler? :)
Yes, I installed the '06 Mike L. trans cooler. Replaced the '05 OEM cooler lines with '06 OEM cooler lines. Raised the mounting holes about 1 1/2" (drilled new holes) in the "A" frame member on the front of cooler stack as per TD-EOC instructions for an '06 installation. No other modifications.

The TD-EOC fit right up. There was no modifications required because of the '06 trans cooler.

The very clean installation of these two coolers is what drew me this way. No modifications to the truck OEM parts required, except what I mentioned above. Very clean installation on both.

#12 ·
idahofox:

I received the TD-EOC 11 August 06. Not installed; but I'll share some initial thoughts:

1. I'm very impressed with the workmanship of the cooler, solidly built.

2. The stainless braided lines and fittings are over 1/2" ID; larger than I expected!

3. Kit complete and well-packaged; includes high quality fasteners, grommets... even tie wraps! The hoses and hose ends are pre-assembled. The unions are pre-assembled to the cooler and sandwich plate adaptor and are color coded. The cooler is packaged in it's own box, which is packaged in a larger box that contained the other components.

Regrettably, I'm unable to comment about performance for several months. My truck is currently involved in beta testing. All modifications have been removed :cry: ; the truck must remain in otherwise stock condition during the duration of the test. :)

#13 ·
killerbee said:
Okay, Okay, KB. I'll see what I can do. But after I get some photos, someone will probably need to help show me how to post them.
My TD-EOC was installed last weekend, Sunday, 8/13/06. As Stevebos said, it is a very clean kit. And it fit right up with the Mike L. cooler already in place.

#14 ·
Steve, if you like, you can post your pics on the Yahoo site, you can make your own photo album. It automatically resizes them to a format useable here. Then you can save them on your "desktop" with a right click method.

Come back to this thread, go to "go advanced" to reply, and scroll to the bottom, to "manage attachments". You can upload them there.

The other way is to "insert image" using the little yellow mtn scene icon , and you can link from a known web location. The former is a better way, and insures permanancy

#15 ·
Ranch55

If you need to resize pictures do a search on the net for "Easy Thumbnail" it's a free program that allows you to resize pictures so you can post them.

#16 ·
Okay, photos of my weekend install of TD-EOC and Mike L. '06 Setrab transmission cooler. I hope this comes out okay.

#19 ·
idahofox said:
Ranch55,

Great photo assay, thank you for taking the time to document your installation.

Did you install the '06 tow mirrors ?
Yes, I installed the '06 mirrors. Bolted right up and they are plug 'n' play. No issues at all.

#20 ·
glilja said:
Ranch 55:

Thanks for the pictures. I notice that you have removed the splash guard on your truck. Do you feel that this has helped with the cooling?

I had to remove it for the installation of the coolers. I haven't re-installed it yet. I believe it will help some to not be there because it lets more hot air get out from under the hood, BUT it will also let more water splash up. I'll probably put it back on and put some rubber spacers about 1 1/2" thick on the bottom edge to give the hot air an easier escape route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.