The Diesel Garage banner

cummins 93-97 12 valve swap

19K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bgoat 
#1 ·
Hi everybody, I am new here.........
Well ... I have a 1993 Ford F-350 crew cab 4x4 with a 5.8 and a c6 transmission. i really like my truck and it is a really sound vehicle, living in the desert (Las Vegas, Nv.) rust is not a problem... I would like to do a 5.9 cummins 12 valve (1993 - 97) swap, I am told that this engine is easy to do due to the fact that there are only about 3 wires to deal with., has any one here done a swap of the 5.9 into a 1992-1997 F350, and what hurddles am I going to have to jump to make this all work.... what type of automatic transmission (overdrive) should I use, am I going to be able to use my transfer case or something else., what type of cost factors will I be looking at, my donor engine, how many miles is to many, I have been told that the 5.9 12 valve is good for 4 to 500 thousand miles, true or false I do not know, I am very new to the world of diesel, I know I need more pulling power than I currently have, But I cannot afford to go shopping for a new or newer truck., so I am all ears and ready to listen to what my Black Smoke buddies here have to say. thanks much, John in (Sin City, Lost Wages) Las Vegas,Nv.

#2 ·
you are talking about a p-pumped 94-98 12v. yes, they can last over 500,000 miles when properly taken care of. if you can find a 47rh, that would be a good swap trans. there have been guys that have done this swap before so someone will chime in soon to help. ill be doing a 12v swap into my '03 SD later this year.

Garrett

#3 ·
i have a 12v motor that i will be putting in a ranger next winter. good luck to both of us.

#4 · (Edited)
i am doing one in a 1972 ford f250 4x4 and am useing a front motor mount kit from ford cummins . com i have a friend who did one in a 1976 ford f250 4x4 and his was a crew cab it is a realy easy thing to do if you have a non married transfer case if not you need to decide what transmission and t case you want to use and rayan at ford cummins can put togather a kit of parts for the install. with there kits you can go eithere with a c-6 a e40d or just about any mamual transmission you would like

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.