The Diesel Garage banner

International DPF Issues

31K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  YLH 
#1 ·
We have a new International with the Maxxforce DT engine. Being an '07 it is equipped with a diesel particulate filter (DPF) which is giving us fits. It has been in the shop twice during it's short life.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing DPF issues with the new Internationals.

#3 ·
I was at our local Cummins shop a couple of weeks ago, they had about a dozen DPF's in a pile out back.

They figured the trucks had LSD run though them and the regen couldn't keep up.

I've heard using CI-4 or CI-4 plus oil can cause problems too (instead of CJ-4)

#6 ·
2003EDGE said:
I haven't seen one come in yet for DPF issues and there are quite a few of them running around. Have you been doing the regens on it when it is telling you to?
That is one of the things that has us scratching our head. So far we haven't had an alarm/notification to perform a regen. The truck just shuts down. No warning. We are planning to begin regular manual regens but I'm afraid that may hide the real problem. But I need the truck on the road!

You may be able to answer another question for me. In the manual INTL mentions the DPF and also a catalytic converter. Are these two seprate components or just two names for the same component?

Thanks for your help!

#8 ·
2003EDGE said:
There is still a catalytic converter in the muffler like the older model trucks.
they are 2 seperate and different things. OUr international dealer said cat was having some problems, international a few, less then cat, cummins and mercedes flawless.

#9 ·
Yesterday we attempted a manual regeneration as a preventative step but it wouldn't allow us to perform. We followed the steps exactly. The DPF indicator light was not on so we think it will only allow a parked regeneration when the indicator has at least reached level 1.

Today the indicator did illuminate. The driver successfully began a parked regeneration. The regeneration ran for about 45 minutes. The indicator increased to level 3 and eventually level 4. The owner's manual states that you should shutdown the engine when it reaches level 4. That is what we did and we are now waiting to hear back from the dealer.

#10 ·
How are you using this vehicle?

Under MOST conditions, customers (operators) will NEVER need to perform a "Parked Regen".

If you use as little as ONE TANK of LSD instead of the REQUIRED ULSD, you can run into these problems. As others have also pointed out, the incorrect OIL (anything BUT CJ-4) WILL cause this.

Take both a fuel and oil sample. I'd bet the wrong stuff is in there.

#11 ·
Follow Up and Big Thanks

First of all, thanks to everyone who replied. We were really struggling to find answers. Looking back at my original post I noticed that I didn't mention that we were having this problem for the third time at just over 2000 miles.

On the third (and hopefully last) trip back to the dealer they replaced the turbo. Since then no problems at all. We're up to over 4000 miles so I'm starting to feel comfortable that this did in fact fix the problem. Everything was covered under warranty. Hopefully none of you will have this problem but I wanted to post this in case it helps someone else.

A couple of people commented on the fuel and oil issues. ULSD and CJ-4 are required for the new emission engines. I was fortunate enough to have access to an expert from the petroleum industry. Incorrect fuel and oil will cause problems over time but not after just a few hundred miles. At least that is what I was told. That said, use the proper fuel and oil! There is no advantage to using 500 PPM fuel or CI-4 plus oil!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.