The Diesel Garage banner

Duramax Turbo noise

16K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  BombDocDiesel 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 LLY engine it has 75,000 miles on it I bought it at a dealership and it is a certified vehicle. When you turn the vehicle off you can here the turbo turning for about 15 - 20 seconds and it sound like a bad bearing noise. "growling noise" I took it back to the dealer and the tech said that was normal? I have about 3000 more miles till the warranty is out. Just wanted to know if anybody has the same noise and what the fix is. I have heard other duramax engines and they do not make that noise. Thanks for your input.

#2 ·
I never noticed mine doing for more than a second or two.

I would see if it throws any codes.

I will also see if one of the mods here can put this in the Duramax section.

#4 ·
are you sure that its coming from your turbo? i think i know the sound you describe, its almost an electrical buzzing? it could be your EGR valve..... orrrrrrr... it could be your VGT solenoid cycling, get a buddy to turn the truck off while your in front of it to see if you can pinpoint the noise

#6 ·
That's the solenoid. If you start the truck then get out and walk to the tail pipe do you hear the VGT cycle. The exhaust pitch will change from a low growl to almost a whistle. It should do this every time you start it. When you kill it; it cycles to keep from it from sticking. Mine does this in just a second. Make sure you let the EGTs drop down below 400 before you kill it.

#7 ·
agreed with Josh, mine does exactly the same thing, not a big deal at all

#8 ·
If his keeps going though, then there is a possably problem with solenoid right?

#9 ·
The cycle only take a second or two. If his keeps spinning I would think he might be having issues with the turbo itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.