The Diesel Garage banner

mechanical shuttle versus hydraulic shuttle

15K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  thejdman04 
#1 ·
Anyone own a mechanical shuttle tractor?

I know a hydraulic shuttle is nicer to drive and requires no clutch, but can any advantage be said about a mechanical shuttle other than a lower purchase price on the tractor?

I would think it's cheaper to fix, more reliable and less complex?

Trying to think of any advantages they might have over their more expensive hydraulic counterparts.

#2 ·
manual shuttle is better , simple , less parts and u know it in gear , hyd shuttle more parts the lever goes bad , relays start to go bad and a few other parts, i used to run a ford 3930 with manual shuttle never had problems with it , new a guy with a hyd shuttle and if gave him chit

#3 ·
Do you mean a powershift transmission or a reverser? None of the older ones had electronics, and were still very reliable, as long as they have clean oil and good hyd pressure. They can still take a LOT of abuse.

Even the newer electronically controlled transmissions are pretty reliable. Most of our big tractors have powershift trannys, and have little to no trouble with them at all.

Reactions: rogersavoie01
#5 ·
The only 2 pluses on a mechanical shuttle shift is:
a: lower cost
b: doesn't breake down (no solinoids going bad and being stuck in either forward other reverse).

I'd rather have a power shuttle than a mechanical one. Just makes a lot of working with the tractor so much better. :woot:

#6 ·
Im on the other end of the spectrum, hydraulic is usually much better. Most people w/a mechanical shuttle get in a hrry and grind and jam them pretty ahrd, even the average homeowner grinds it a bit, hydraulics take the "company man" abuse much better. YOu can go full spedd forward to reverse w/o letting off the throttle many times a day w/a hdraulic and not hav ea problem. New hydraulic shuttle shifts are reliable, youll get more productivity out of a hydraulic too if your using it for business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.