The Diesel Garage banner

Life Expectancy Of 7.3?

24K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Paul H 
G
#1 ·
HI guys,my first post.Thankyou Duke for the invitation.I have a 99 F-350 w/156,000 mi.,,I've read that its a 250,000 mi.engine is this true?I have more problems than I think I should have with the truck,I'd like something new.I plow with the truck and do take care of it.Nice to be here,BASIC.

#3 ·
Welcome to the DG Basic:D the life expectancy of the engine is based on how you abuse it LOL if youve beaten it, its gunna be a little lower...if you baby it it will be alittle higher. 400k to 500 sounds right to me.

If im wrong (forces above) please correct me;)

Dominick

#4 ·
BASIC said:
HI guys,my first post.Thankyou Duke for the invitation.I have a 99 F-350 w/156,000 mi.,,I've read that its a 250,000 mi.engine is this true?I have more problems than I think I should have with the truck,I'd like something new.I plow with the truck and do take care of it.Nice to be here,BASIC.
I think that's a realistic number. You could go 300-400 if you had a lot of long distance driving on the highway and anal care of the engine.

Hot rodding decreases life expectancy, too.

Great to have you here. Welcome to the site. :Thumbup:

G
#5 ·
Thanks for the welcome.I've had more truck problems than engine.The water pump and fan clutch just went,CPS and the fuel system froze up three times (twice one year,once the next)even with a winter additive and I am careful where I get my fuel.Its also the engine might go 300,000-500,000 mi. but at what price to keep it running?I've also had a hyd line and a slve cyl.go in the manual trans.Other than changing the oil and filters on a regular basis,what can I do to help maintain it?How long do the injectors last,is there any preventative maintenance that can be done?

#6 ·
Not really. The 7.3L loves clean oil since it's a HEUI diesel. Try to purchase fuel where a lot is sold. Change fuel filters often, too. Cheap insurance.

It's also good to buy the Fleetgaurd strips and check your coolant. Add FW-16 coolant additive if your charge is low to prevent cavitation.

I've done nothing except replace the batteries on one of mine.

#10 ·
Interestingly enough, a fellow works for a company who owns TWELVE of the early Powerstrokes in their fleet, and they have a mechanic also that maintains all their trucks. The one with the most miles I believe was a '95, and it had 1.7 Million miles on it! Of course it has gone through many parts in those miles, but apparently it hasn't had a full rebuild yet!

I wonder how many others might be around the country with similar mileage?

Dale

#11 ·
Duke said:
Hot rodding decreases life expectancy, too.

mine has 335,000 miles on it, 50/50 city/highway.....been hotrodded for the last 100k and i fully expect to see 400k before i retire it from everyday use.

oh yea and i drive it like i stole it all the time

#12 ·
Welcome to the site!!!!!!! :Thumbup:

That's the exception-not the rule.

I've been around these trucks for over 10 years and hotrodding has windowed more blocks, bent more valves, and blown more head gaskets than all the stock ones combined.

The extra wear caused by higher output & EGT's will also shorten life, it has to.

#13 ·
jharvey3 said:
Howdy Basic, welcome.........

The tried and true 7.3 is a 500,000 mile motor if you take care of it.

What kind of problems are you having?

John
There was a guy around here that has a couple that have a MILLION + on them,he hauls boats allover. Unfortuanatley I heard that he was killed in a wreck down in FLA last week.
I have also seen several that had 500k + on them and still going :Thumbup:

#14 ·
Replaced all these
Alternator 3 times
idler pullies once
Serp belt twice (due to above)
CPS once 170,000
IPC once 189,000 to cure wavering idle
vacume pump once 187,000

glow plugs once 168,000
under valve cover harnesse(2) once 264,000
valve cover gaskets once 264,000
injector O-rings once 264,000

That's all engine related

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.