The Diesel Garage banner

3406b cat injector removal

59K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Sjpoole79@yahoo.com 
#1 ·
can anyone tell me how to get the injectors out after you pull the lines off it has a blot in it but the injector doesn't come out i need to replace the leaking seals, we dont want to damage anything and need to know if anything else is keeping them from coming out, thanks.

#2 ·
Remove the two hole spanner nut and and use a removed cross-over line and two heal bars and blocks and slide them out. You'll need to replace the seals, screws, carbon dam seal and washer (and don't forget to buy the little plastic carbon dam installer from Cat while your there, or barrow one) ;) :happymugs

#5 ·
Works fine, but the tool is always better. I just bought the head and used a cut-off maxi-can stud with two angle iron up-rights welded to a cross top. Better than OEM and $15. A slide hammer is best with the same adapter, but cannot re-install them (it pulls the tip loose)... :happymugs

#6 ·
ok I dont think I was clear enough, the leak is at the side if the head where the line screws into what i thought was the injector, it has a keeper bolt at the bottom and the part thats leaking has a nut about 3/4 wrench size, is this the injector in the side of the head or is it under the valve cover? i thought this was the injector since the line from the pump scews onto it, ifit is the injector we tried turning the socket on it but it felt like it was connected to something else, so we didnt force it not wanting to damage another line if there was one connected to this area up in the head.bottom line is do we have to take off the valve covers to get to the injectors or is that it on the side of the head? Thanks

#7 · (Edited)
That's an adapter mounted in the head. It has an inner injector line connected inside the head. if you are leaking oil there, replace the o-ring. If fuel is leaking, the inner line is either loose or cracked. Somtimes when you loosen either inner or outer, the older adapters will spin inside the keeper. The newer have a solid adapter to prevent this.
Pull the valve covers to hold the inner line while loosening. A 7/8 wrench on the inner line...3/4 on the outside.

You will have to pull the covers to do any of this...unless the outer line(s) are cracked or leaking. If it has a Jake, it'll have to come off too. No big deal.

#9 ·
Ok now i'm getting the picture, it's leaking fuel down the side of the head not real bad but i thought it was an injector leaking and bought new seals for the injectors, so is there a seal there that is easy to get to or is it a complete tear down, what about the jakes do they need adjusting after you pull them off or can you just reinstall them and tourque it all down? 3 of them are leaking the truck sat 4 years before i got it and i've replaced a lot of dried out and roten lines and such so i figure this is just another part of it, i just want to get the leak stopped it runs great, thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.