The Diesel Garage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

more fuel in a Detroit 60 series

98K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  ddctech 
G
#1 ·
Detroit 60 series:
The head has an inlet fuel hose from the injection pump and the fuel-return-to-tank hose on the back of the head. Take the return hose off (do make sure you get the hose right) and there is a fuel restriction there. There is a hole about the size of a lollypop stick in the back of the head where the hose was screwed on. Take a regular 3/16" drill bit and drill that hole out to about the diameter of a cigarette and reinstall the hose back onto the back of the head. It'll give you about a 30 horsepower increase and SUPPOSABLY not do nothing to your fuel consumption. This mod fools the computer and allows more fuel to be injected.

#2 ·
That will REDUCE HP and Tq because the fuel pressure will most likely be LOWER providing LESS fuel to the injectors.

The restrictor is in the RETURN line, and is installed to give the fuel pump something to pump against, and to allow air-bleeding.

It will also, without any question, return even more HOT fuel to the tanks, raising the fuel temperature and therefore reducing it's energly per gallon (less power and economy).

#3 ·
It's just info I got from another forum. I never tried it. That's what it sounded to me when I read it the first time too.

#4 ·
almost right

First thing is to record your idle fuel pressure. This can only be done on the older engines btw. NO DDEC5 engines. Fuel pressure at idle cannot be less than 14 psi. Does not matter about nl fuel pressure, just idle. This is needed to supply the engine with proper fuel at idle. You can drill the restricted fitting out to the next size drill bit but keep in mind the idle pressure. Yes you will get 30 hp more. The reason is the cooler fuel, not for any other reason. Coooler fuel results in more hp. It will not raise the fuel temperature in the tanks or an other such story. I used to be able to drill the fittings but the company and DDA published a letter on doing this very thing. BTW, it violates federal emmissions also.

#5 ·
"Cool fuel temp".

Nope. The fuel temp is a function of tank temp, engine temperature, and return flow. Moving more fuel thru the head by enlarging the orfice will only make it cooler for a SHORT TIME. As you move more fuel thru the head, it will transfer more heat from the head back into the fuel tanks, which will obviously increase the tank and then the inlet fuel temperature.

Stock, a Series 60 will RETURN 90 gallons/hour of fuel during "cruise" to the tanks. If you enlarge the orfice, it will return over 120 gallons/hr, and as much as 150 gallons/hr.

Returning more HOT fuel (much hotter than when it left the fuel pump) to the tanks, CANNOT reduce fuel temperatures, except temporarily.

I could go thru the math on how long precisely, but w/o knowing the new orfice size, it would not be worthwhile.

#13 ·
May 2009 Big Rig Newsletter

www.bullydogbigrig.com

Big Rig Newsletter Debut
Bully Dog has been flooded with requests for more information regarding our Big Rig downloaders and industry updates. These requests are what prompted us to create a bi-monthly newsletter to keep you, the consumer, updated with everything that our Big Rig program is up to. Along with that we will be including a variety of news, studies and tips to keep you informed.

Cat Downloader Success
The Cat downloaders are working so well we are sold out!! Our dealers are ordering faster than we can produce them, and we are temporarily back-ordered. If you have an Cat engine, especially an Acert you owe it to yourself to get one of these downloaders and find out how well they are actually working. On all of the big rig downloaders, Bully Dog has a no-questions asked 30 day money back policy. They are simple to install and you can start experience the cost savings and the performance for yourself today. View the Cat downloader product page

Muirhead Trucking, Inc
Muirhead Trucking saves money and fuel by utilizing Bully Dog Big Rig Downloaders

Started in 1970 with a couple of bob tail trailers and now located in a new facility in Mabank, Texas, Muirhead Trucking hauls refrigerated, time sensitive freight across the southern United States from California to Florida. Known as the fleet that is “On time and looking good” any truck in the Muirhead fleet could pull off at any truck beauty contest and take home the winning prize. Made up of 2004 and newer trucks, the fleet of 50 tractor trailers consists of Peterbilt 379s and Kenworth W900s that are Cat® exclusive with the majority being Cat® Acert C-15 engines... Read the entire article

Vin Unlock Feature Added to All Big Rig Downloaders
Bully Dog engineers have removed the Vin Lock Feature where once the install is completed that the downloader marries itself to the engine forever. Now if the big rig downloader is returned to stock, the downloader can be moved to another engine, just like on the light duty side. Visit our Update Agent page to get the latest update

To activate this new feature simply update the Power Pup to the following versions:
- Cat Version 1.00 and up
- Cummins Version 1.30 and up
- Detroit Version 1.10 and up

New Cat Downloader Features
Added to the Cat downloaders are the following features:

Ability to adjust the Speed Limiter
• Can be set from 30 MPH up to 127 MPH
• Adjustable in increments of one

Ability to Update Cruise High Settings
• Adjustable in increments of one.

Ability to Update Cruise Low Settings
• Adjustable in increments of one.

Ability to Adjust Engine Idle Time
• Can be set from 1 minute to 60 minutes
• Adjustable in one minute increments.
View all features on the Cat downloader product page

Industry News
Caterpillar, Navistar Move Forward with Strategic Alliance

PEORIA, IL – Caterpillar Inc. and Navistar International Corporation have signed a definitive agreement to produce Caterpillar heavy-duty vocational trucks for sale in North America. The transaction is subject to various regulatory approvals and other closing conditions.

Under the alliance, they will develop and manufacture a new line of heavy-duty Caterpillar vocational trucks for North America only. The new Caterpillar trucks will be co-developed by Caterpillar and Navistar and manufactured in Navistar's Garland, Texas facility.

The new Caterpillar on-highway vocational trucks will be unveiled in late 2010 and will go into full production in early 2011. The trucks will be sold and serviced exclusively by Caterpillar Dealers in North America.

In this issue...
- Cat Success
- Muirhead
- Vin unlock
- Cat Features
- Industry News

Want more info?
Want to find out more about Bully Dog Big Rig products? Visit our site, find a dealer or give us a call.
- bullydogbigrig.com
- Dealer Locator
- 888-844-6260

Testimonial
"The Power Pup downloaders are by far the simplest and easiest products on the market that allow you to see significant cost savings immediately. Bottom line."

Greg Muirhead
Owner
Muirhead Trucking

Download a pdf version of this newsletter.
Contact Us
www.bullydogbigrig.com

bigrig@bullydog.com

888-844-6260

#14 ·
what does that news letter post have to do with Series 60 Fuel pressure modifications?... Hopefully the moderator deltes that...WTH??:bang

#15 ·
The title is "more fuel in a DD 60 Series". Nothing wrong with more options to gain more power.

Reactions: HARLEY6LF250SDU
#16 ·
A friend of mine had a 500 Detroit 60series that pulled a dump bucket. They drilled the restrictor out and he said that it was a noticeable difference. He also shimmed the injectors and the truck out pulled his 3406E that had been turned up to 618hp at the Cat house (maxxed out 475 pcm done after hours:thumbsup). He doesnt like to part with his little tricks very easily. Does anyone else know about the shimming trick?

#22 ·
There is no boost sensor that will give you more fuel than another one. You need the correct one to work with the program that is in your ecm. Also, drilling out the restrictor fitting only lowers fuel pressure and returns more hot fuel to the tanks faster. Common sense should tell you that idea is no good. :soapbox

#23 ·
Also, drilling out the restrictor fitting only lowers fuel pressure and returns more hot fuel to the tanks faster. Common sense should tell you that idea is no good. :soapbox
That's what I thought when I first read about it. Some people actually reported a power increase.

#24 ·
You do have to like people exaggerating a little bit of information. The drilling out the restrictor was done on the early 8V92's they came out originally with a 1/4 inch fuel transfer pump, that is the width of the gear in the pump, if you put in an 3/8 pump then you could drill it out to .106 and in that application it did increase you power from lower fuel tempature in the head. I agree with the people that say if you drilled it out in a sixty series you would just end up with hot fuel in the tanks, the possibility of the head draining fuel back and low fuel pressure at idle and for starting. Fuel above 140 degrees loses hp. With all the shields and aerodynamics on trucks now keeping the fuel cool is hard enough, without adding more heat. What does work is adding a fuel cooler core on the return line. That works, and is something that can be done to increase HP. My Duramax has a return fuel cooler, I have mounted a few coolers on class eights you have to get it in cool air flow, and also out of harms way. It goes between the head fitting and the return tee.

#28 ·
Like ddctech says, that boost sensor is just a part that is made by gm that is used by detroit diesel. Its not aftermarket. Although it is an updated part. You can't get the old style boost sensors anymore. With the new ones, you have to change the pigtail...which was a cummins wiring kit (from my dealer) :) thats my experience anyways.

As far as the restricted fitting, if you drill it out to 3/16" or 1/4", it really isn't a restricted fitting anymore, is it? However, I went to the University of Northwestern Ohio, which they claimed was the number one diesel school in the country. They had a detroit on an engine dyno and drilled the restricted fitting out just a bit. and gained hp. also, my cousin is a detroit mechanic and is a damned good one. its been a while since he explained it to me, but he measured the fuel flow somehow, and came up with .091" as the magic number to drill the fitting.

#29 ·
Ok, thats nice. My father has been working on Detroits for over 30 years and won Detroit Diesels Series 60 challenge in the early 90's. That title gave him the best Series 60 tech in the world. We have talked about this and proven it on the dyno. It doesnt work. You return more hot fuel faster and lower fuel pressure. The restrictor is a certain size to keep the fuel pressure at a certain pressure. Drilling it out lowers pressure, and if you do that, you lose power. Also, hot fuel is not good for long injector life. Detroits do not like tight valves. The intake valves on a 60 tighten up on their own due to the valve receding into the head. This holds the valve open slightly reducing compression and causes problems like low power, low fuel mileage, cracked exhaust manifolds, and oil gunk. Set the valves to the loose side, thats the best way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.