The Diesel Garage banner

cold start problems

21K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Bc_cummins 
#1 ·
I have a 04 and last year I didnot plug it in the temp overnight was 30*. My truck would crank all day till we ran the battery down, but no start. I pluged it in for about an hour and it fired right up. this has happen a few time at varying temps all below 50* and unless I plug it in it will not start. Not only is this embarrising, but it also p#$#% me off. I am going to try a differant oil 15W40+50 john deere and see if it will help.

#2 ·
What oil are you running? I run Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40 and never have cold start issues? I would check your fuse for your grid heater and the check to see if you have power to your grid heater. just my 0.02s

#4 ·
Around 30F type of oil does`nt matter at all. It`s not close to cold enought to do a difference. Trust me i live way up in Canada and you can feel a difference between syntec and mineral oil around 15F on cold start.If it does`nt get any lower than that frequently where you live at no need for syntec oil. Also your truck should easyly start without being plugged as low as 0 F if your batteries are good. There`s nothing to plug my truck at the shop and it often get down to -22F and it starts like a gaser after sitting for 14 hours or more.

#5 ·
Well here we go, worked on the truck all day trying to get the heaters to work in the intake, hoping this would solve the issue. Tried starting it at 40* this morning, turned on the heater with switch in the cab watch the volts drop on the batteries. Still nothing now I will plug it in for the next hour and try again. As long as this truck is plugged n it will start. I know I should not have to do this. Suggestion

#6 ·
Is it possible the block heater is bad? I don't know if I am way off here, just trying to help out.

#7 ·
Block heater is doing something right because it will start when it is plugged in. It is when I don't plug it in and the temp is below 60 over night it will not start. The intake heater is now working manually with a switch in the cab. I tried it 2 days ago and all it managed to do was run the battery down. I live in cheyenne Wy the temperature is not getting any better.

#8 ·
that means your grid heater is working well. It has to be something else but I`m lost. Does`nt make any sense if the truck is plug or not at 40F, it should even start without the grid heater working at this temperature :shrugs It means your problem comes from something else than your block heater or grid heater. Don`t know if these truck have a cold start switch or other electronic sensor for cold start:thinking

#9 ·
here's a wacky idea, im curious about your IAT sensor, I've heard tell of ECM's doing strange things if the intake air temp sensor is dammaged or malfunctioning, if the ecm is getting bad signals from the sensor it will try to compensate for it.... and make the truck run like a pile of crap

#10 ·
:whs

#11 ·
what is the rail pressure while cranking? hook it up to a reader like a mac mentor, while spinning the engine over, your should get a rail pressure reading of around 4500 plus psi, if it is allot less , u r gonna have a fueling problem,, i am gonna guess your injectors are toasted,whats the mileage, what work has been done , when things are working rite, that truck should even start without preheating

#12 ·
When the truck has been plugged in, it don't matter what the temp is. It will start right up and run like a champ. But there r not always going to be a plugs in town. Do I have bad glowplugs, does this year truck have glow plugs and how easy are they to change out

#13 ·
no glowplugs in your rig bud. You have a grid heater under you air intake horn. Are there any codes or has it been scanned?

#14 ·
Neel is correct, the Cummins doesnt have GP's, never has, also agreed, have you checked it for codes?

cycle the key on/off three times quickly and it will flash any recent codes on the gauge cluster display

Im still thinking your having issues with your IAT sensor....

#17 ·
iat= intake air temp sensor. i BElIEVE its the one located on the intake boot by the airbox.

#18 ·
it samples the temp of the air flowing through the intake into the turbo, if its reading funny temps it will cause the ecm to do weird things

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.