The Diesel Garage banner

Gear Splitter for NV4500

33K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Jawbone 
#1 ·
Does any one know if it possible to put a gear splitter off of a medium duty truck on too the nv4500. Basically what I am looking for is an overdrive gear splitter but I'm not sure if it is even possible to do. I tried searching for some threads on it but it seems that know one has brought this topic up. If anyone has any alternate options that they like better than the gear splitter or if you have any idea about which one would be a good for the nv4500 please let me know.
thank you,
Grady

#2 ·
Gear Vendor makes one thats an under and over.

Reactions: NukleusX
#3 ·
yeah, get in touch with them. probably your best bet.

#4 ·
Gear Vendor makes a Underdrive to Direct set and a Direct to Overdrive set. I looked into them for a while, but then found out that they are rated to "only" 700 ft/lb of torque input. If you stay mostly stock you'll be ok, but I'm already far out of that range on the output.

#5 ·
Most likely the ONLY way you could use a MD unit,would be to divorce mount the t-case. Have short shafts run between the trans and t-case. All it takes is money. ;)

#6 · (Edited)
don't forget about US gear.

edit: and, i think you can downshift and utilize engine braking w/ the US gear unit. i have heard that you cannot on the gearvendor unit.

#7 ·
I can see the need for a extra gear box if you are going to stay with a some what stock engine, but couldn't you just add a turbo, injectors and do a little pump work and end up with the same drivability, more power and easyer to drive? If you are set on this you could allways look into a 6 speed or a fuller 7, or 10.

#8 ·
I don't think he's going for more power. Besides even if he was, a overdrive wouldn't add any. I'm guessing he wants another gear for better mileage and a splitter for towing with less drop in RPM at shifts.

#9 ·
Ya thats exactly what i was going for, I do a ton of highway driving because i commute for school everyday and im around 2100 rpm at 70 and if i could drop that down I'd be happy. Also i live in the city with a bunch of hills and sometimes my gears really get hindered by the hills. Ya it does seem like it's more trouble than its worth, my friend ran the idea by me and I wasnt sure if it was possible. Gear Vendor does seem like a good bet but my truck is rated for about 750 ft/lbs and I dont think i would want to risk that about of torque on it. I really appreciate yalls imput. I really thought the one manufactured by US gear would be the best bet. Have any of you hear of anyone pulling one from a medium duty truck in a junk yard?

#10 ·
More torque and RPM would solve the problem. If it is a stock truck and you want to stay as close to stock as possible, just add a 3K GSK or a 4K GSK that way it does not stop adding full fuel until 2700 or 3600. The 4K gsk will require 60 lbs springs on at least the exhaust. The Governor Spring Kit will make you fell the difference, and shift gears less. A GSK will not make you change a clutch or change the drive line.

To get more torque you will need a new clutch soon and to get it you can slide the fuel plate change the DV's and holder then get larger injectors, DV's and Holders are optional.

If it was me and I did not feel like getting more power I would add the RPM with a GSK if you install it yourself it will cost 150 dollars or less and take a afternoon, taking you time and reading the instructions. Also add a little timing say to 14.5 degrees it will help.

#11 ·
Becareful with USgear units. They do not live long.

#12 ·
about the gear vendor torque rating at 700ft/lbs. thats the input rating. if you are producing at or near this rating from engine it would only multiply if you are in a lower gear than 4th too. the funny thing is the factory torque rating for a nv4500 is only 460 ft/lbs. most here would agree thats a bit under-rated. im sure the gear vendor unit is too. but for the price of that thing i would want a over/under/direct capable of 1000ft/lbs in one unit

#13 ·
That's what the dealer back at home told me. I was just saying it's not a viable option for me anymore. The NV4500 is only rated to 460 ft/lbs? Uh-oh...:haha (refer to red ink in sig)

#14 ·
The clutch packs in the gear vendor unit will slip if you make anything over 700 ft-lbs.

#16 ·
my eaton 6 speed kicks ***!:peelout:coal

#17 ·
i have a 6 sp manual with gear vendors its awesome

i gross 27k most of the time

truck empty 2000rpm 84mph

yep i know im not dodge but gearvendors can handle anything i dish up

#18 ·
i think i will go with the 4k gsk and the 60lb springs all the way around, i will be putting in a new clutch as well with a #10 fuel plate. I wanted to go straight pipes with a bhaf but i got to work my way up with the money situation. thank y'all for your imput, its people like you that make this site the best!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.