The Diesel Garage banner

Oil pan removal

17K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jcoby 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever removed their oil pan on an 03-07 common rail? I am tring to pull one to check the rods and mains. I have removed the engine mount bolts, jacked the engine up as far as possible, removed the suck tube, and still cant get it to come out! I have pulled the before on a 12 valve. I am thinking that the cross member has been modified. This is a 2wd by the way. Does the flywheel housing have to come off, or pull the engine? That sthe last resort. Thanks for your help!:smoke

#2 ·
Alright everyone! The pan is out! I have answered my own question on this one. The Tranny has to come out, then the flywheel has to come off. After I did that, it slid right out the back. Well first I had to bar the engine around to get the number 2 rod cap out of the way. This is the most retarded design I have ever seen! I sure wouldnt own a dodge diesel!

#3 ·
Awww... It can't be that bad...

I've seen worse on other makes and models of trucks... It could be worse to have to jack the cab up off the frame to get a engine out...

#4 ·
Mopar1973Man said:
Awww... It can't be that bad...

I've seen worse on other makes and models of trucks... It could be worse to have to jack the cab up off the frame to get a engine out...
:pointlaugh LOL :poke:

#5 ·
I love my Dodge, but would like to choke that engineer that designed that thing. I had a problem where I wanted to get my oil pan off, but couldn't b/c of all the tools and time and space needed!!

#7 ·
What I was saying all manufactures of vehicle have there up's annd down's in designs. Like my Mom had a Chevy S10 pickup. You were required to jack the entire cab up 9" to get enough clearance to pull the engine.

Like my 73 Dodge Charger I must pull the entire engine to even pull the pan off...

On my 76 Dodge Motorhome I've got to pull the trans out to get the oil pan off so I can change the rear crank seal.

But on my 72 Dodge P/U the pan can right off the truck easy... So did my Mom's old 76 Dodge truck is was the same design...

So Every manufactures and models has hi's and lo's...:Thumbup:
(Naw... I haven't been turning any wrenches before... LOL )

#8 ·
Lol. Thats true lol. I work at at a Cummins distributor. Out of all of the engines I have worked on, this is the worst lol. I have got the rear main seals in motor homes down pat lol. On some of the new Internationals, the cab has to be removed to pull the engine. The cab mounts are in the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.