Changing Oil in the HPOP - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Ford Diesel & Truck Discussions > 1994-2003 7.3L Power Stroke

Thread Details Posted by Texaspsd, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 10384 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
Texaspsd

Changing Oil in the HPOP

I was looking at another website and the author said that after he changes the oil in a Powerstroke, he pulls the plug out of the HPOP and replaces that oil separately. This is the first I have ever heard of this. Does anyone else do this? Is it a good idea?
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
sdan27

i probably saw the same website myself. i've never changed the oil in the hpop reservoir seperately but i think i might give it a shot next oil change just to see what it looks like. if it looks like the oil i drained out the pan i probably won't worry about it too much but if it looks like crap like the other site demonstrated, hey, all the better for changing it, right?
'94 F250xlt ext. cab. ZF5-speed 4x4. EBPV delete. DPP downpipe. Tymar intake. Tymar coolant filter. LF9691 primary filter. Electric fans. 10k mod. 1.0 turbo housing. Boost blanket. Over-axle exhaust eliminated. Electric fuel pressure gauge. BDP modded IDM. Heim joint clutch linkage. Adrenaline HPOP. LUK SMFW. DIY Elec. Fuel. FS1282, FF5230 fuel filters.
sdan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
Rcannon
is here and there.

Thanked 1,106 Times in 665 Posts
Here is the last thread on this subject.

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...read.php?t=294

Guys, be warned. I won't tolerate any fighting in this thread.

Last edited by Rcannon; 05-28-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Rcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
Pocket

Best bet is to stay away from Powerstrokehelp.com. Let's just get that out of the way now.

If you want to change the HPOP oil, go ahead. But to be honest, it's a waste of time. Unlike what is posted in the videos, the HPOP oil does circulate with the rest of the engine oil, so it's not any "darker" or any worse than the rest of the oil in your engine. Tons of PSD's last a very very long time on normal maintenance without ever draining out oil from the HPOP reservoir.

The only time I've ever drained the oil out of the HPOP reservoir was when I upgraded the HPOP. Anyone who has ever removed the HPOP will understand quickly why attempting to suck the oil out of the HPOP reservoir at every oil change is a complete waste of time.
Pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
S-D Diesel Perf

I still change mine and it does not take ME any longer ! When I do the oil does not look as dark after starting and re checking it as if I don't on the stick. what ever you decide to do , Have fun doing it!

03 F-250 FX4 10"Deaver Springs,4.30 Gears,Detroit Locker Rear,Pois In Dyna Trac Pro 60 Front,38"PJ's on 17"X12' Weld's,Cross over steering,Warn15,000lbs in Road armor Bumper, Engine:7.3 Bored 20 over,Mahle Coated Pistons & bearings,Crower Rods,WOP Main Girdle,Crower Valve Springs & Push Rods,Ported & Polished Heads,H-11's,Melling LPOP, Stealth Stage 2 HPOP,235cc Injectors With Edm/SHO Mods To Oil feeds By Gary/Cass,GTP38R,6.0 Spearco I/C All Cryo-ed,everything. DRUGS:Water & Meth Snow#2,Nos TUNEs by / ME

*Stealth Pumps*
The finest HPOP money can buy!

We have a new pony, we found him under that last pile of crap thread. He bite's , do you want to ride him? his name is Bittie !
S-D Diesel Perf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #6
Texaspsd
Threadstarter

Don't want to start any fights, I was just wondering if this was a good idea. I would think that the oil circulation through the HPOP would be good enough to prevent any old old oil staying there. But, you could write volumes on what I don't know or understand about diesels.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
Pocket

Here is a copy of some HPOP diagrams:

As you can see, it's drawing oil directly from the oil pan, to the reservoir, then out to the oil rails or out the IPR, which ends up back in the oil pan again.

What's interesting to note is the amount of oil left over between oil changes. Typically, if you were to syphon out the oil from the HPOP reservoir, you would only get less than half of the old oil that is still remaining in the rest of the system. You cannot fully syphon the HPOP reservoir, and you cannot reach any part of the oil that is still remaining in the engine front cover, the HPOP itself, or the oil rails. All of that left over oil is dumped back into the oil pan within seconds after cranking the truck, mixing with the new oil.

On average, most people usually fill a PSD with about 14 quarts at every oil change. If 1 quart or so of oil is left over that you can't syphon out of the system, it's still just a drop in the bucket and won't affect the new oil overall.

So in reality, it's not necessary to try and syphon out oil from the HPOP reservoir. You'll never get it all, and it won't make any difference in engine longevity. If it makes you feel better, or if you just really want to do it, then fine, it doesn't hurt anything to try. Just know that the idea came from powerstrokehelp.com, a source that is less than credible, and someone I think is actually a crook to his customers.
Pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pocket For this addition to TDG:
Texaspsd (05-19-2009)
Old 05-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
badandyf350

I would think that using good oil and changing it regularly would affect longevity more than that 1-1.5 quarts of HPOP oil, IMHO.
badandyf350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
Sleeperstroke
Riding solow on the Hog

OR you could do THIS. Change the oil, run the truck for ten miles or so, go home, change the oil, run the truck for ten miles or so, go home, and change the oil! Wheee!
"MOby" The big white bio-burning 03 7.3 4x4. 6637, straight piped stock exhaust, and a new "secret" blend of Haul asBLEEPsing mods and upgrades. Suffice to say, its still not the fastest, but its quick enough to worry lots!
Sleeperstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:03 AM   #10
Bruno2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcannon View Post
Here is the last thread on this subject.

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...read.php?t=294

Guys, be warned. I won't tolerate any fighting in this thread.
Dang Russ I was trying to forget about that thread .
That link puts you right on my posts

The important thing to remember about the hpop oil change is this : The oil capacity on the 7.3 is 17 qts , all that will come out with an oil pan drain and filter change is about 14 qts , that leaves 3qts still in the motor , the hpop holds less than 1 qt and you cant get all of that out . The oil in the hpop is unfiltered oil . So if the cleanliness of oil going to the inj's was that big of an issue I think international would have drawn the oil from a place where it was coming from the filter .
I dont think that much dirty oil is going to make any difference at all . Once again if International was concerned about the cleanliness of the motor oil then there would be a drain plug on the hpop reservoir and one on the oil cooler .

Last edited by Rcannon; 05-28-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Bruno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement