The Diesel Garage banner

Where are the Glow Plugs???

5K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Macktruckdriver 
#1 ·
Anyone have the part numbers for the glow plugs and I cant find them on the engine. Laugh at me all you want, I probably deserve it, but I didnt even know glow plugs existed until the other day

Anyway, no parts stores around here carry any parts for medium duty trucks that they can search by year/make/model, they need part numbers etc..

Can anyone help me with how to replace glow plugs, and how to find them on the engine?

#3 ·
what problems are you having? You might not even need glow plugs

#4 ·
You might not need them, but I would definately go with factory glow plugs. The autolite "blow" plugs just don't last, and priced about the same. The glow plugs are underneath the valve covers. One per cylinder. It takes between 2-4 hours to replace all 8 depending on experience.

#6 ·
Thanks!

The problem I'm having is, it will not start in temperatures below 40-45 degrees?? I know that's high, but is really wont start, just turns over and puts out white smoke.

Hope its not the glow plugs now that you say it's under the valve cover, that's not going to be fun on the side of the road :(

#7 ·
Yeah its under the valve cover. For the driver side, you have to take the intercooler pipe and the air cleaner off, and then you can get to it. The passenger side you take the intercooler pipe off, and move the heater hoses. Something that made the job easier for me was to loosen the rocker arms and the socket has room to move. Thats where I spent most of my time was getting the socket past the pushrods to get it out. Its not a hard job, just takes time.

#10 ·
You can check them easily. If you have a 99 and up 7.3 you can unplug the valve cover wireing harness and take a test like hook the one end to the + side of the battery and touch the tip of the tester to the outside 4 prongs that go into the valvecover gaskets so the 2 outside ones one each valvecover and if the light lights up its good if not its bad.

#11 ·
Well then, that didnt go well.... AT ALL..

so, lets just say that the fire trucks got there quickly..

:(

I tried using starter fluid for maybe 2 seconds, and the aircan caught on fire!!

Thank goodness there was a fast food place next door, so I ran over there and got a few gallons of water and put it out, but not before it melted the plastic part and ruined the filter..

any other ideas? of course now step one is replace the can and the filter, but... after that I'm back to square 1..

(dt466e is my engine '99 model) (couldnt find a forum for dt466e engines, so I just guessed)

seriously this has been the worst day !! cant help but laugh though for some reason!!

#12 ·
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER use starter fluid on a PSD unless you disable the GP system... And even then, if its not starting there is something else wrong...

#13 ·
Sounds like its time to do the Tymar type filter...

#15 ·
What year is your truck? Where do you live? maybe someone lives near by that could come help you out.:shrug:

Oh yea, don't waste your money on a stock air box. Do theTymar set up, you will love it!

#16 ·
Actually it was someone on here, cant remember who, that suggested starter fluid, and today I chedked the thread, and someone is chastising him saying "What are you thinking telling a newbie to use ether!!" haha.. Wish I'd read that before!!

I live in Birmingham, Alabama, if theres anyone near who could help, or at least knows of a place that I could get a second hand aircan, I'd appreciate it! I'll be calling around for "tymar" type filters today, see if I can find one!

#18 ·
Not that I can tell, the only thing that bothers me, is the backfire. I'm hoping I didnt blow anything inside the engine or the turbo.. :(

Instantly after the engine turned over, i sprayed the ether and the engine began to crank, i sprayed again, and a huge "boom" came out of the air box.. so, after checking to see if I still had all my parts, legs good, arms, all other parts stilll there... check.. ;) We tried again, and it never began to fire again, and then I stopped for a few minutes, and then the fire just spontaneously combusted in the aircan..

But that is the only VISIBLE damage to the truck..

#21 ·
Damn this is kind of a crazy story man! Hope you get it figured out.....

#22 ·
I know, the Police called me this morning saying they were going to tow it, and I explained what all has happened, so they are going to give me a couple days...

So firstly, what is this different type of filter/air can?

Where can I get it?

and How difficult to install?

#24 ·
first of all you said this was a DT466 right? then a tymar is not going to work for you. You need to go to your friendly IH dealer and get the parts you need. Also you need to find the Glow plug relay. It will look like a starter soleniod but its not for the starter. Check it when you first turn the key on. it should have battery voltage at both larger terminals. Next you need to trace the wires into the engine. I am quite sure the GP's are still under the valve cover of 466 but I am not certain. Even better if your not realy sure what you have going on with the engine you might just want to find the block heater (assuming it has one, it should) and run an extension cord over to that kind fast food restaurant. Then after about three hours you should be able to start the beast and get it to a shop that can fix it. Or a tow truck but that will be expensive.

#26 ·
My buddy tried to use either on hit PSD and sprayed a bunch in the intake waited a while hopeing it would make its way to the motor and when he hit the key DUM IDEA the second the glow plugs kicked on he cracked the head instantly due to the either blew up trieing to move a piston from a stand still is bad. If you HAVE to use either turn the key on and let it sit for a few min and wait for the glow plugs to go out and cool off the spray and the finish turning the key but use very little either. I have a stock airbox for sale for $25 is interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.