The Diesel Garage banner

changing oil

4K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  SSpeeDEMONSS 
#1 ·
how much ya'll actually add back....i think its takes 3 and a half gallons????

#2 ·
You are correct! 14 quarts.

I usually fill mine with just under 14 quarts which reads at the top of the dipstick after I've run it, and let it sit for about 20 minutes.

Reactions: newtodiesel
#3 ·
no more than 14 quarts....if i use 15 im over the top of the dipstick.
the HPOP reservoir holds .95 quarts and NEVER drains during an oil change.

Reactions: newtodiesel
#4 ·
Gotta ask...

What oil are you going to use? What weight? I would recommend a 5W-40 synthectic oil for year round use. Rotella 5W-40 is a good choice.
Mobil TDT 5W-40 is another good choice (good luck finding it. Hurricane Ike took out Mobil's oil refinery, and there are shortages right now) Both of these are usually readily available. Walmart and auto parts stores carry both oils sometimes. You'll have better luck finding the Shell.

Make sure you use a Motorcraft or Fram (same) filter on your 6.0 PSD. Other branded filters don't fit right in the canister.

The 6.0 PSD uses oil under very high pressure to fire the injectors. Because of the high pressures you get high heat in the internals of the injectors, which causes motor oil to break down, and leave a varnish inside the injectors.

This varnish slows down the injectors so when they are cold (think cold start) the injectors don't fire properly which makes the truck run terrible and sluggish.

Synthectic oils will have a purer base oil, and are better refined which minimizes or elimates the varnish build-up inside the injectors. The 5W-40 oils are thinner when cold (5W part) so your oil will be thinner inside the injector which makes them operate easier. (better cold starts).

#6 ·
yea thats what i use.......roto and motorcraft

#8 ·
f250bc makes some GREAT points...the 6.0 does sheer oil.
i HIGHLY recommend periodic sampling (if youre changing your oil yourself it
helps to off set the cost)...sampling will show you how your oil is performing
and if you are changing at the proper intervals.

I run 15/40 rotella (dino) but may have to change since costco isnt carrying it.

Ive found (thru sampling & testing) that 5k mile change intervals are SAFE & well
w/in the limits of the oil, if im running INTERSATE i can safely get a little more
mileage between each oil / filter change.

for me to use a synthetic (at roughly 3x the cost) i NEED 3x the mileage just
to break even.

#9 ·
how is synthetic 3x as much? i normally pay 13.99 for rotella 15w40 and i now have rotella synthetic 5w40 for 19.99/gallon.

and is it 14qts or 15? are you sure. i could have swore i was told 5qts 3 yrs ago.

Garrett

#10 ·
i change mine every 4 to 5k miles so i just use regular 15 40 rotella.....i was told just to use 3 and a half gallons long time ago so idk.....always checks out good on stick

#12 ·
synthetic is only slightly more,the added protection is worth it though. dino oil causes stiction in our injectors and is more prone to coking in the turbo on shutdown,thats why i run synthetic.its not the initial cost i worry about,as with anything on a diesel.spend a little now and save a lot later.anyways,when you drain your oil,the oil sitting in the hpop resevoir will not drain(i wish it would).hence the 14qts.at least on the 7.3 you could suck the resevoir out if you wanted.if in doubt always check your dipstick.

#17 ·
Cost me $160 lat time I had it changed at the dealer. Oil + filter.

#23 ·
and when you put 15 in wheres it sit on the dip stick !?!

when i put 15 quarts in i get a slight ENGINE SURGE that i
suspect is parasitic drag from the crank slinging thru the oil.

#29 ·
I run 10k miles between changes and 5K on each filter. I run 15w-40 royal purple synthetic. It is a bit more at $38 a gal.

#31 ·
No because the oil drains out of the filter and holder when you turn the truck off. I even have a leak that it coming from the back of the motor yet, over 10k miles I'm never more than 1/2 quart low.

#32 ·
I run 15quarts in my 6.0L and 6.4L but I have a filtrations solutions external oil filter and a crap load of length of feed and return lines b/c its a one size fits all and I have a single cab and extended cab/sb. the dipstick read right everytime but if I didn't have the external oil filter I would run 14quarts.

mobile 1 turbo diesel truck 5w-40 in both !

#33 ·
as far as i know 99.5-03 7.3L's, all 6.0L's and all 6.4L's take 15 quarts. all the other 7.3L's took 14 and idk about the 6.9L

#34 ·
well i couldnt remember...and i wanted to make sure about mine....changed oil today and put 3.5 gallons and oil on stick is right at the fill line...so they/mine do not take 15 full quarts...well maybe they/mine does but it will be over filled!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.