The Diesel Garage banner

FS2500 or Amsoil bypass

14K views 120 replies 17 participants last post by  pstrang 
#1 ·
I am planning on switching to Amsoil and maybe a bypass filter later. I have read up on the FS 2500 and the Amsoil bypass filter but can not make up my mind on which would be better. The Amsoil is cheaper and goes longer between filter changes but I read that the FS2500 works better even though you have to change their filter every 10k miles. Just like to hear from guys that have run them and what their thoughts are.:thumbsup

#2 ·
Don't believe everything you read. Hopefully a few people will drop in and elaborate.

#6 ·
Are you talking about the Bypass filters because I know they work, in the old days all the big rigs had Luba Filters which was a Bypass filter. It was that big can that hung out on the side of the cab on conv trucks, but that was back when they tried to make the engines last for a million + miles:thumbsup

#4 ·
I have the amsoil system and it's been working good so far for me. I've got the stainless lines for it.

Reactions: heavyhaller
#7 ·
I agree that a bypass filter is a wonderful idea, and they help tremendously. What I meant by my post was not to automatically believe that you can go a zillion miles on the same anything. A little common sense, and regularly scheduled maintenance can go a long way. Get an oil analysis, and set your intervals where you are comfortable. I.E. I run 5w-40 synthetic motor oil, and have been told I can go much longer on my oil change intervals, but no way in Hades will I got more than 5k on an oil change, and even that would be pushing it. A little extra money spent now, is cheap insurance to prevent spending thousands later. That's all I meant.

#12 ·
I hear what you are saying and I plan to be carful with it but we ran 20k on all of our cummins BC400 and that was on dino oil and high sulfer fuel. If the oil annalisis ( i can't spell any more) shows the oil is good, I will go as far as 15k which is what Amsoil garantee's is safe with their or a Donaldson filter and since Ford raised the oil change interval on their trks to 7500mi on dino oil I think it will be safe. The OA will let me know. I have talked to friends who are fleet mechanics for trucking firms and they are running Mobil 1 5w30 (special syn oil backed by mobil oil A&D) diesel oil and have exstended their oil change intervals and have increased the milage between inframes by 30%. Their MPG's have also increased. That adds up to a lot of money in a trucking fleet.:thumbsup

#8 ·
There is another option, other than those 2 choices.

#9 ·
You turn into an outside salesman, or somethin'? LOL

#10 ·
I'm running scheifer's 9000 5W 40. I haven't done any oil analysis yet.

#13 ·
What are your intervals?

#17 ·
yeppers

#19 ·
DAMN!! Wish I only put 5k on mine a year. Though I didn't even get 10k on it last year, but it was down about 6 months. LOL:bang:

#20 ·
sheesh some of you guys don't drive much. I have already put on 14K since I got my truck in July.

#24 ·
I have had both.

I did not think the FS filter was filtering the oil as well as they claimed. We went round and round about this. The replacement filters are expensive and only are good for only 10k the unit is made very well very good engineering. When I was using Amsoils OEM filters the filter was ok when I stopped the oil did get much darker, I change to Amsoil the oil has been much cleaner since. A note the soot we put in the oil is a lot and is hard to remove. I went 38k on the last oil change the oil was very sooty more than I could stand. The sample at 29k was good for 10k more when I pulled the sample I decided to change the oil I do wish I had done a sample I save the oil for a sample just did not send it in.
Bill

#22 ·
I say do it, as soon as i dig up the money i will be doing it as well. anything to help keep the motor clean is always a good thing.

a few vendors here carry them, dont let tank lead you into the woods :haha

:wedgie for tank

#23 ·
I've been very impressed with the Frantz. It's way cheaper, filters better, and replacement filters are a fraction of the cost of the others. Include these guys on your research list: www.wefilterit.com

#27 ·
I wanted to post this earlier but could not find it. It has to do with maintenance on the PSD’s here is another link just on the bypass what I got out of this video is he is running his fleets 6L’s 20k with great success. Here is a link that deals with how heat and abuse can cause pocket book withdrawal. It also is quick and beief break down on how the turbo works.
Here is a link on why 6L need to add an additive to the fuel.
I was directed to this site from one of my customers.

#28 ·
I'd be leary of trusting anything that guy says...... While there is no doubt he sounds knowledgeable, this is the same guy who was telling people they needed to change their HPOP oil separately from their crankcase oil.........

#33 ·
That guy is full of himself, keep talking about him and you start to see more guess to chime in and say what a load of crap he is.

#39 ·
Yeah i agree lonnie. I have amsoil's by-pass with schaffer's synthetic 5w-40. I can prob go longer than 5K on an oil change, but i'd just rather change it at every 5K.

#41 ·
are the kist just 2 more oil filters added or is there more to the system?

#43 ·
What would be involved in making one of these systems?? If it is nothing more than a filter head, some hoses/fittings and filters, why couldn't this be done just as easily as the homemade coolant filter system Garrett is building??

#44 ·
rather easily. i looked into do this as well. get the oil filter cap from Dan, sogrand. get the filter head that you choose to use. buy the filter/s. then the line and fittings. its rather simple and i think i have all the parts list somewhere but im not sure where it was. i should have bought the stuff at the time but didnt have the money. i also wanted to go with the largest filter i could find. go to amsoil's site and check out the filter head and filters.

Garrett

#46 ·
I'm with Garrett, and teamroper. You could probably come out a LOT cheaper by building the bypass system yourself.

And you could mount it wherever you wanted!!

#48 ·
I still have the info I put together for Garrett. I am not opposed to you buying just the filter head, filter and what ever parts you think you need.
In the 6L case we have three choices this is a single filter with three filter sizes BMK-21 this is a dual filter systems with three filter sizes BMK-22 and the this is a single filter system with only one filter size BMK-30.
This system is rather costly when you add the filter cap 7 filler cap. I have never done one so a little trial in error.
I have linked all three to the install instructions so you can go right to them and look them over.
The fs2500 is a very well built system as ours is as Amsoil uses a can filter.
Bill
Amsoil Your browser doesnt show Iframes!

Reactions: SSpeeDEMONSS
#51 ·
I still have the info I put together for Garrett. I am not opposed to you buying just the filter head, filter and what ever parts you think you need.
In the 6L case we have three choices this is a single filter with three filter sizes BMK-21 this is a dual filter systems with three filter sizes BMK-22 and the this is a single filter system with only one filter size BMK-30.
This system is rather costly when you add the filter cap & filler cap. I have never done one so a little trial in error.
I have linked all three to the install instructions so you can go right to them and look them over.
The fs2500 is a very well built system as ours is as Amsoil uses a can filter.
Bill
This post is not what I posted i made the corrections oops

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.