The Diesel Garage banner

how to delete ebpv

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  STROKER#1 
#1 ·
first of all im not really all that mechanically inclined as far as terms go, but i can do the work.

how do you remove the ebpv, what does it look like, and is there a thread related with step by step instructions?

thanks in advance,

eric

#2 ·
The purpose of the EBPV is to keep the exhaust heat in the engine and aid in warming the engine up in cold temps. I don't drive my truck all that much in cold temps and didn't like it closing while I was driving down the road so I just removed it. I also didn't see myself using it as an exhaust brake so that was another reason for removing.

To gut it you can remove the EBPV housing (where the down pipe connects). It has 3 bolts holding it on (on the OBS trucks anyway). I had my turbo out when I gutted mine so it was much easier to get to those bolts. Then take a torch and cut the head of the rivets off of the valve. You can then remove the main plate. Getting the rod out that goes top to bottom may be a challange. I cut it apart with the torch and punched both sides in toward the center to remove it. You will then have to close off at least the bottom hole where the EBPV lever was hooked to it. I used a steel soft plug (freeze plug) to cap it off, 7/8" if I remember correctly.

Then you have to deal with the rod that comes out of the pedestal. I just took a piece of fuel line and hose clamped it on to the rod up against the pedestal so that it would stay tight against the internal spring and centered in the hole.

this was from a thread that was posted the other day. Racehauler is the one that wrote this.

#3 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.