The Diesel Garage banner

Exhaust Leak

17K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  neeltburn 
#1 ·
I just had my turbo replaced and then a really bad exhaust leak / smell was evident in the cab. Very weird situation, but it was intermittent in the cab. Why, I don't know.

I took it back to the dealer a few times, but they obviously spent about 5 minutes with it and could not find anything.

I found that the EGR pressure tube (very thin tube that comes out of the exhaust manifold and goes to the thermostat housing) had a small hole in it.

I took it back, showed the dealer, and they ordered the part..............but it is on BACKORDER!! :bang

So I guess I have to huff fumes until the freakin' thing comes in. :eek:

#2 ·
That sucks they still dont have you fixed yet. Just get them to get that taken care of then fix it the right way!

#3 ·
Just sucks that they repeatedly said they can't find anything wrong.

I said that you can smell it in the cab, you can hear an exhaust leak under acceleration and with the exhaust brake on, you can smell exhaust in the wheel well..........and if that wasn't enough, you can smell it if you pop the dang hood!:wtf

One day at lunch, I was so upset, I went out with a light and a mirror to investigate. Within 5 minutes I found the leak!

I'm thinking of calling Chrysler this week as the fumes can be real, real bad at times. No way are the kids going in there until it is fixed. And with it raining and getting cold here, I can't keep riding around with all of the windows down!:gaah

#4 ·
just call Chrysler and if they dont say anything tell the dealership if they dont fix it now they will have a problem just be an a**hole to the place then they will listen

#5 ·
The stealer cleaned my EGR cooler and I had the same thing happen but they were able to fix it the first time

#6 ·
EGR pressure tube made it to the dealer. Now I just have to schedule an appointment. Really tired of huffing exhaust fumes!:bang

#7 ·
Get it there, then Delete time! :woot

#8 · (Edited)
Finalllllllllllly got it into the shop today and had the EGR tube replaced. I also had them check the coolant as it seems to be using a little bit. Obviously that checked out 'just fine.':madpoke

Buuuuuuuuut, when I was picking it up, I had looked past the grease on the hood, fenders, steering wheel, and door panel, and really was upset at the large streak of dirtiness on the top of the front bumper (painted portion of the bumper). Soooo, I took a closer look to find out they scratched the hell out of the leading edge of that piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bang:damnit

It was just before closing time and I went off on the service guy. He tried to act cool and rub off the dirt with 3M hand glaze and then ask if I was satisfied. I just said no. Glaze is glaze, and it does not take out the damn scratches. Now I have to go back and talk to the service manager. This whole thing freakin' sux!

#10 ·
Threaten to BURN them on the survey!

#9 ·
:damit, I hate to hear this... perhaps they may get it right soon?

#11 ·
:damnitThey could have cared less about the survey. I was so upset when I left, I just said screw it. A week or so went by and then I got a survey call.....:rock I described what happened, that I was unsatisfied (calmly), told them the truck will never go there again, and he just said, "Oh." That was the end of that. Oh well..........time for a Chevy!:happydance

#12 ·
:damnitThey could have cared less about the survey. I was so upset when I left, I just said screw it. A week or so went by and then I got a survey call.....:rock I described what happened, that I was unsatisfied (calmly), told them the truck will never go there again, and he just said, "Oh." That was the end of that. Oh well..........time for a Chevy!:happydance
:read

:damnit

Wait.. What... When....

#13 ·
:DI knew you'd catch that!:woot:

#14 ·
So whats that mean? :nunu:

Bring that Mega Cab up here, Ill fix it!

#15 ·
I do have all of the 'right parts' to fix it!:rock

#16 ·
So what are you waiting for.... The bar is stocked and tools in the garage...

#18 ·
Ok, the EGR tube was replaced and it has been ok. But for the past few weeks, I am sensing a growing sensation of an exhaust smell coming back.:help It is to the point that I do drive with both windows open, at times. Some days you can't smell a thing.

Neel, I checked out the neck at the back of the EGR cooler where it connects to the manifold. No signs of soot.

I did see some soot that was 'speckled' near the flex joint at the front of the cooler, but wasn't sure if it was enough to shows signs of a leak. And tonight the truck wasn't smelling too bad. I need to get a day when it is bad and recheck.

Just sux that I have to keep huffing fumes and doing the analysis because I know the local dealer won't.

#22 ·
Ok, the EGR tube was replaced and it has been ok. But for the past few weeks, I am sensing a growing sensation of an exhaust smell coming back.:help It is to the point that I do drive with both windows open, at times. Some days you can't smell a thing.

Neel, I checked out the neck at the back of the EGR cooler where it connects to the manifold. No signs of soot.

I did see some soot that was 'speckled' near the flex joint at the front of the cooler, but wasn't sure if it was enough to shows signs of a leak. And tonight the truck wasn't smelling too bad. I need to get a day when it is bad and recheck.

Just sux that I have to keep huffing fumes and doing the analysis because I know the local dealer won't.
It is with in the realm of possibility that your cooler is cracked. Check the crossover tube from the cooler to the EGR motor on the intake as well. The gaskets between the EGR cooler and manifold are known to fail and is where I would look first. ( did you use a mirror and flash light?) At what point in driving do you smell the fumes? I am wondering if it is only during a regen when it would be "hotter" causing more expansion?
I know its a simple/dumb question, but are the gaskets in place? When I changed the t-stat one gasket accidently fell out and did not see it. After putting together had the exhaust smell. Found the gasket on the floor later:bang and knew what happened:swear reinstalled and no more smell.

#19 ·
It is with in the realm of possibility that your cooler is cracked. Check the crossover tube from the cooler to the EGR motor on the intake as well. The gaskets between the EGR cooler and manifold are known to fail and is where I would look first. ( did you use a mirror and flash light?) At what point in driving do you smell the fumes? I am wondering if it is only during a regen when it would be "hotter" causing more expansion?

#21 ·
I was using a small mirror and flashlight, as best as I could for that area. Not the engine was pretty hot when I got home. I might try a little water or soap & water light spray on joints to test.

I need to mark the coolant bottle and watch that coolant level. I made that statement for when I brought it home after the turbo replacement and I hope they just filled it wrong. But I'll park it on a flat area tomorrow, mark it, drive it, etc... and keep an eye on it. I agree, if I can see coolant loss, than that helps my case for a cracked cooler.

#23 ·
No dumb questions at this point in the game!:) I checked for gasket presence after the work was done, and I glanced again today. But I will check once more for good measure.

I missed one comment earlier Neel. I tried to record when I smell the exhaust the most and it does vary. I thought rainy days were worse, but I was out the other day (and it wasn't raining for a day!) but it still smelled. It can be driving, or sitting in traffic. Really all over the board. Can't really tell when regen is going on to see if that correlates.

#24 ·
Mike, his cooler should not have been off at this point so I would sure hope they are. But that is a good point. It really depends on if the smell is coming from the crossover tube or the cooler.. it would be possibly coming from one of the sensors in the manifold. its hard to say as there is so much junk in the exhaust. I just wish he was closer so I could give him a hand finding the issue. could even be leaking at the intake horn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.