The Diesel Garage banner

2003 Chevy C6500 7.8 Liter Turbo Duramax

12K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  thejdman04 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, New member and a new Duramax diesel owner. Here is my question. Does anyone know who makes or how to remove the govorner-rev limiter on a 2003 Chevy C6500 7.8 Liter Duramax engine? It wont go over 2500rpm and 70mph when empty. I live near the mountains and its very hilly around here. I need the extra power to get up the hills. I checked with Superchips, Edge, and Banks with no results. Can the dealer do this?
Thanks,
Arcade Mike

#3 ·
Does anyone know who makes or how to remove the govorner-rev limiter on a 2003 Chevy C6500 7.8 Liter Duramax engine?
The Duramax 7.8L is a 6-cylinder truck engine and revving it past the 2500 limit will not give you any more power, but you will soon have lots of broken engine parts.

The dealership can upgrade power on 2004i and later engines. These were engines installed after December 2003 with new computers and emissions.

What power / tranny do you have? These trucks are usually speced to cruise at 60-65 mph.

#4 ·
Hey its got the Allison 2000 automatic. If I go up any sort of a incline i drop to about 50 max while empty. I have not tried in yet in the mountains but will be at the end of January and coming back with a full load of games. We have a lot of 65 and 70 speedlimits around here and just dont want do be blown away.
But if thats what she can do then thats cool to. I got such a good deal on this truck I cant complain.
Thanks,
Mike

#5 ·
Sounds like it must be a low power rating to slow down that much, you're pushing a lot of air too. I'm betting a that a load won't slow you down too much more, hopefully you can do something so you don't have to find out.:woot:

#6 ·
You probably have the 200 hp / 520 torque power rating. Being blown away is part of driving a medium duty truck. Set your cruise control to 62, stay in the right lane, save fuel.

I see you have a fairly tall box. That is a fuel mileage killer at highway speeds. A cab or box mounted wind deflector will increase your fuel mileage by about 10%. The deflector is not cheap, but may pay for itself if you are running a lot of highway miles.

#7 ·
Revving over 2500 wont do anythign for you. You need an exhaust and chip. Even the 466's dont rev any higher. I work for a company w/alot of box trucks and we have some 24fter 6500's w/the 366 gas engines in them w/4 spd slush boxes :( Even have a 20fter ford 7000 w/a 5.9 and 5spd manaul:( and an isusu w/a 5spd and a gutless ownder

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.