The Diesel Garage banner

International VT275

26K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  paulhodson38 
#1 ·
I only recently discovered that these exist, and had a few questions about them.

So far, it only looks like they were installed in 2005 and newer International CF trucks. Any other places I might find one in a donor vehicle?

If not in a donor vehicle, any hints on where I might find a complete motor/ECU/Trans?

Anyone done any performance mods to one of these? Seems like it would be a good candidate being that it's already a twin turbo mill.

Anyone know how much power you can make with one? 300hp? 400hp?

I'm still trying to find the best choice to fit in my 1999 Ford Explorer. Before I discovered the VT275, I was pretty confident I was going to put an Isuzu 4H series I4 in it, though every time I've heard one on the road, I'm not impressed with the sound. Don't mind that it's loud, but it just sounds anemic, not like your average diesel with that nice low sound.

I guess it would be silly for me to pick a motor based on it's sound, but that is a bit of a consideration.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have never worked on one but the way I understand it is basicaly a v-6 version of the vt365 or 6.0 powerstroke. I would guess that some of the performance parts would swap over between the engines. It sounds like a neat project. good luck

#3 ·
What about the 4Bd1t or 2t from an older NPR Isuzu? They had decent power, but not really supported by the aftermarket for wild hp numbers. Finding a VT this early in production may be near impossible, until wrecked ones get to wrecking yards.

#4 ·
nevrenufhp said:
What about the 4Bd1t or 2t from an older NPR Isuzu? They had decent power, but not really supported by the aftermarket for wild hp numbers. Finding a VT this early in production may be near impossible, until wrecked ones get to wrecking yards.
I'd really prefer one of the newer 4H series Isuzu motors, and I suspect the 4B series would sound similar (my main complaint about them right now).

I agree it might be difficult, if not impossible to find a VT currently, but it's interesting none the less.

My goals are somewhere around 300-350 HP, and something that'll actually fit in my engine compartment.

So far, engines that I know will fit physically are the 4H series Isuzu's, the VT275, a Cummins 4BT (also too loud/rough for my liking), and a late model GM 6.2 or 6.5L.

The 4BT, and the 6.2/6.5's seem to have pretty good aftermarket support, or at least a good community of people who know the motors well, and can tweak them.

I really like the 4H series Isuzu's, and could look past the sound if I knew I could get decent power out of them, but I can already find more tuning information about any other motor on that list that I can about the Isuzu's. :(

#5 ·
the vt 275 is also in fords version of the cf international truck its basicly fords truck from nose to tail with navistars engine fords auto trans is behind it both the ford and navistar versions are identical other than the name on the grille... so far they seem like a sweet little engine our dealer runs a few as parts delivery trucks and we never see them in the shop except for oil changes.

as far as mods and hp potential no idea

#6 ·
right now as i am speaking the VT275 is rated at 200 hp and 440 ft tq and this is basied on IH rating

yes the VT275 use the Ford Toqureshift 5 speed auto and seems working pretty well for that useage

you will have some how more tq than hp then what you got in your Expolder truck

weight wise i am not sure but it probablly be little more hevery than large gas engine you have in your truck

you will need the wiring harness with this engine and the ecu because it will read diffrent than what the gasser will do

if you go this route keep in your mind you will have to change few things along the way

Merci , Marc

#7 ·
also keep in mind the vt275 is the engine navistar designed FOR ford to put in the f 150 then ford backed out of the deal as such it should fit in a light duty truck fairly well

#8 ·
Let's just say you would not have the FIRST VT275 powered Explorer :evil:

#11 ·
Any details on where people are getting these from?

My original plan had been to get a donor truck that had been totalled and is on insurance auction or something, but with a motor/vehicle this new, that seems overly optimistic.

Are people just buying them direct from International with ECU's and everything?

My main concern with this motor is where I'll find it. I'm cool with the work and cost involved in swapping it, just a matter of getting my hands on one!