The Diesel Garage banner

Stuck injector..

25K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  Bcarriveau 
#1 ·
long story short I had 3 injectors to do on one truck today, 1,3,4..... 3 and 4 were good... 1 is stuck..... I pulled both rocker arms off/ head bolts, tried pry bars, slide hammers, hammers, chizzles, every an anything to make it move and its not budging.!

the truck was at ford before for heads, half of the oil log bolts were llose, same as the valve covers and ficm bolts, You cantdrill into the injectros I dont know what kind of steel it is but its some tough chit.! Notto mention the injector was "under" torqued I dont knowif the carbon and soot is whats holding it or if the injector welded its self..

Is there any way to get this mother ^&%&%$& out of the head so I can carry on, with out having to pull the head..?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, shawn is right. In that pic the injector holder bolt is still tightened down. Not sure what year it is but it's either a T-40 or T-45 torx bit.

#4 ·
You said the hold down bolt was loose so chances are carbon has got up into the seat cup. the injector is ruined so here is what i do on those.
stick a 4 x 3/4 bolt into the top of the injector and weld around it. after it cool"s off, use a long ratchet or cheater pipe and work it back and forth to loosen it. then use a long pry-bar on the bolt head to lift it up. you might find the injector tip out of shape and part of the issue. check the seat cup real good and make sure it"s not scored.

#6 ·
I dont have apic on my lap top but.... on the newer model motors there is a clip on the botom of the hold down bolt that eeps in inplace ( so it wont fall out....) Trust me... that bolt is back out all the way....... I cant get a pry bar under the hold down As you loosen up that bolt is NORMALY pulls up te injector.. It backed out but didnt pull up the injector at all......

No doubt for sure if its stuck like that...that cup is probaly warped......

#7 ·
SOme years when you removethe hold down the bolt comes out........ they made them collared at the bottom so the bolt doesnt come out of the hold down..... If that was the case dont you think I would have pulled out the T-40 :slap :poke and pried up on the hold down?> Il try that weld thing.. Thanks..!! I do have apic of the diffrent hold downs

#8 ·
my cummins did the samething to me... I had to pull the head and DESTROY it to get it out... I WISH there was enough wiggle room to get the hold down out... but theres not... If thats the case I could get my make shift slide hammer in there better to bite on the lip.

How many of you had this problem, I really dont want to pull the cab.....:(

#10 ·
MY boss has never seen this either..... that tech who worked on it should be HUNG.. nev er alod to pick up a wrench again..! I've done my share of injectors, but nothing like this... ill never look at another injector the same LOL

#12 ·
IF they were done right you will be fine.:rock

#14 ·
I say swap the whole head, let ford deal with the problem.

#15 ·
man i think i woulda cried if i got down into mine doing one of my numerous injector swaps and that happened to me!! good luck with it jordan!

#17 ·
im interested too....any idea what caused this ?

#18 ·
i hope when i do mine i don't have this issue...waiting to see if welding a bolt works

#19 ·
well its obviously not a very common deal....and jordan has done a LOT of injector swaps and this is his first...so somethin was DEF done wrong or something for his to happen...

#20 ·
He got it out, welded a nut to it and screwed the slid hammer in. Says the cup is still good:happymugs

Reactions: blackcloudCTD95
#22 ·
WOW that is a nasty looking injector!!

#23 ·
wouldn't the owner of the truck notice the injector being loose from a skip or just not running right

#24 ·
youd think so...i know when i didnt have mine torqued down enough it had a bad miss and drove really rough with the t/c locked...

#25 ·
Alright heres my new custom made ford 6.0 injector puller... I took apart the entire injector, took the top half over to my slide hammer and I tried to screw a bolt into it.. NOT happening its too hard... SO i walked over found a nut it fit the slide... so then I busted out the welder tacked it. in place that put a nice weld arround it.... then I grinded it down and made it all nice and smooth... and it fit between the 4 valve springs..... I didnt even have to hit it hard.. and it popped up

What caused it.... the retarted tech who did the heads was in a rush and didnt tq it properly.. Probaly why HALF OF The oil log bolts were loose also....

Attachments

#26 ·
Soo....how does it attache to the injector?

#28 ·
ahh, so that is the little hole i see you drilled :happymugs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.