The Diesel Garage banner

Marmon Truck

24K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  LOG HAULER 
#1 ·
Today I looked a Marmon truck very clean truck had a 425 Cat in with a 15spd guy wanted $8500 personally I never heard of this truck, who made it and will parts be hard to locate for it, What is the story behind the Marmon truck?

Thanks........Happy New Year?

#2 ·
In 1963, after Marmon-Herrington, the successor to the Marmon Motor Car Company, ceased truck production, a new company, Marmon Motor Company of Denton, Texas, purchased and revived the Marmon brand to build and sell premium truck designs that Marmon-Herrington had been planning.

The Marmon truck was a low-production, handmade truck sometimes dubbed the Rolls-Royce of trucks. An overcrowded American truck industry and the lack of a nationwide sales network led to the eventual failure of Marmon trucks in the USA. The last Marmon was made in 1997, and the production facilities in Garland, Texas, were taken over by Navistar’s Paystar division

Reactions: LOG HAULER
#3 ·
Thanks have you ever drove one?

#4 ·
Marmons used to be popular with log truckers here in the northwest. Very reliable, and the truck was actually designed with the mechanics in mind. Things that were hard to see or get to on other trucks were easier to access. Very good trucks to use in the woods because they stood up to the conditions.

#5 ·
Thanks trucks looks very strong what are they worth?

#6 ·
Not sure if it helps, but Marmon's have a pretty loyal following. There is atleast one club I know of that is dedicated to nothing but Marmon's. MarmonTrucks.com is the first website that popped up when I searched, contacting a Marmon collector could be a good way of determing the value(and sourcing parts) besides the obvious condition of the drivetrain etc. Like stated, I have always heard that they were excellent built trucks.

#7 ·
Today I looked a Marmon truck very clean truck had a 425 Cat in with a 15spd guy wanted $8500 personally I never heard of this truck, who made it and will parts be hard to locate for it, What is the story behind the Marmon truck?
Thanks........Happy New Year?
I have always grown up with those types of trucks, for me the c/o marmon this is the one that seemed the best to me, I saw it similar to the dodge c/o ford 9000 c/o and white 4000c/o or the old white road commander but i always saw it more luxurious and better quality to marmon.:toytruck

#8 · (Edited)
I drove a Marmon Conventional for one summer hauling aggregate.
It was perfect for a gravel pit tractor trailer. You definitely didn't have to worry about anything breaking.
My impressions of the Marmon was that of a simplistic and archaic truck that was designed by a neanderthol caveman. Definitely not designed with human ergonomics or comfort in mind at all. Everything was square, flat and hard. No real modern "anything" to it.
The dash was flat and simple, with switches were positioned to suit the simple design, and not with the drivers neck muscles in mind. The suspension components were outsourced from Neway.
It kind of reminds me of something the Russians would build.
Overall, I am sure the trucks gave years of good service because of their simplicity, but they closed their doors because a driver only needed to drive one for a little while before understanding how much more evolved the rest of the competition really was.

I would guess Marmon lovers were so passionate about their trucks was because there were so few on the road, and that made them different. Me? I would chose a Marmon last to anything else availavle.

#10 ·
yea I know right when i pulled the open it almost pulled me up in the air!!

I'm seriously thinking about it!

#11 ·
I've got an old one in the driveway, retired for now. Tightest truck I've ever driven. Ad she'd been laid over once before I bought her. A model DI Cat motor & 13 over. I've got to tell you, I loved that truck. If $$$ ever allows, I'd like to get her up & running around close to home. 'Haven't really looked into parts availability in a while but, if you found that you could get parts, I wouldn't be scared to buy that 'Lonestar Cadillac'! Good luck!:thumbsup

#12 ·
Bring the old girl back!!!

#15 ·
I never heard of this truck
You must be young or never ventured out of the Georgia pineywoods.

We had a Marmon dealer in our county where I grew up. Those cabovers were a common sight.
I always heard they were hand built. Maybe that was Diamond Rio?

Cab over or hood?

If you buy it it's your responsibility to baby it - they don't make 'em anymore.

Truck parts are all the same unless you'd bash in a door or something proprietary like that.

I will always walk over to check out a nice looking Marmon when I see one and chat with the driver.

I wouldn't mind having a nice old Marmon hood.

#16 ·
You must be young or never ventured out of the Georgia pineywoods.

I guess I'm a lil young but learning everyday driva...I been out of the pineywoods a few times I really like this truck it looks strong and that old 425 is very strong it will work perfect in the woods with the 15over and 3:90's

#17 ·
Hey Loghauler. While you're checking out that Marmon, check out how close to the ground those fuel tanks are. Even though they were a rugged truck, those tanks are big around & it may be a concern going into the woods. Even so, I wouldn't mind seeing an old "Big M" with a good home!:cool: 'Hope this helps.

#18 ·
I notice that I'm going to take some pics of it tomorrow and post them

#20 ·
Man I really got enough problems in the stable right now but it drives me nuts to see good iron rot away!!

#23 ·
Pichu2:

Photos you have stored on your hard drive are included in private messages or posts to the forum, by scrolling down on a message or post form. Like this one - scroll down and you'll see the button that says either 'go advanced" or "manage atttachment'. If the former, click 'go advanced' and you'll see "manage attachments" and click this button, too. Having clicked on 'manage attachments" a window in your upper left hand corner of the screen will open and invite you to 'browse' for as many as 4 or 5 photos from your hard drive. Click on the first 'browse' and you will by guided to your hard drive list of documents and saved photos and you may select one by clicking on it and it's address/location on your drive will/should automatically appear on the top line. Additional individual photos up to four or five can be browsed and included in your post similarly. After setting up the photos you want to post click on "upload" and you will be told to 'wait' while all of them will be moved to the message you are about to post all together/at once. It will tell you when this move/upload of your photos is complete. When it does and still in that small window in the left hand corner of your screen scroll to the bottom of it and click "close this file". You are now on your message screen again and can either preview or actually submit/send the message with typed text and the photos to the recipient or forum. (forum or person you are messaging privately). I'd enjoy seeing some Marmon photos. Roger

#25 ·
I have given up on the Marmon wishful thinking I've turned my attention to some more eye candy at a great price

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.