The Diesel Garage banner

Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic oil

52K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  Johnp3 
#1 ·
Does anyone know much about rotella products? Especially the Synthetic diesel oil. I wanted to pick some brians about it. Any info will help. Please respond. Thanks:usflag

#2 · (Edited)
What would you like to know, I only use AMSOIL, it's a much better product than Rotella T. Most all the major brand off the shelf are NOW a CJ-4 oil low ash oil, the Amsoil 5w-30 HDD & 15w-40 are not CJ-4 low ash oils with a much better additive package, and if you DON'T have one of the newer diesels these are the best out there hands down. Not that other oils are not good...

#3 ·
I run Amsoil now in my truck and have for three years. I was curious if there was any other product out there that is just as good but a little easier on the wallet. I went to Rotellas site but they didnt give a whole lot of info. Like I said I just wanted to pick some brains to see what other diesel freaks are using. Thanks:salute

#4 · (Edited)
Amsoil AME 15w-40 wholesale price is cheaper than Rotella T synthetic 5w-40. Here the Rotella T 5w-40 is $27 gal. IMO your not going to find anything better than what your using now. I have not seen another oil with the additive package and guarenteed 3 times the OEM Oil drain interval for diesels. Rotella T is a good oil, just not as good as what your using. Rotella T synthetic, Mobil Delvac, Valvoline P/B, all very good synthetics plus others but they don't all round outperform what your using. If you using Amsoil and a Ea oil filter on your truck your good for 3x the OEM drain interval up to 1 yr. My dealer here will charge $89 for a oil change on a Dodge CTD and thats conventional. Synthetic higher, and they want you back every 7500 miles. For me that would be 4 times a year this is why I use AMSOIL. Sorry for the ramble........

#5 ·
I used amsoil but changed to rotella synth 5-40 the last couple of years, walmart $19 bucks a gallon, it works just as good as amsoil and way cheaper, I change every 10k miles and the oil samples are just as good, reg rotella works great, there are lots of folks on other forums that use it and have well over 300k miles on there trucks, rotella is good oil. and i was a amsoil preferd customer, just cant justify the price. and thats my .2c worth

#6 ·
Yes Rotella is a good oil, THOUGH AMSOIL Diesel oils are recommended 3X the OEM oil drain interval, you won't get that out of Rotella, or any other brand. Rotella T synthetic (low ash oil) here sells for around $27 gal at Tractor Supply, Amsoils low ash 5w-40 & 15w-40 are about the same price or under.

#8 ·
I have seen that site, personally don't pay much attention to it. When it comes to oils I look at all the test data available on a oil, most make big claims that their oils do this and do that, but when you go and look at their info there's not much available to back it up. I choose to run what I run due to I practice extended drain intervals on all my vehicles for many years with excellent results on OAL.

#10 ·
I wouldn't pay much attention to it either if I was an amsoil dealer.

Anyone want to start a pool as to when this thread gets locked down?

I've been using the 5w-40 rotella since I bought my truck new in '01. I like it and will stick with it, we also use it in the VW.

I'm sure it will get locked soon :haha

Really, I try and read as much as I can regarding some of these subjects and honostly, it is hard to find un-biased data out there. Don't even get me started on the CR Cummins two-stroke oil debate......

It's hard for your average guy, with an average truck, to stay on top of what is smoke and mirrors and what is the real deal.

#21 ·
Good oil is good oil...that`s all ....:whs

Many friends uphere own cummins of all kind and all years and many of them have over 800 000kms using any oil brand without any issue what so ever!!! If you keep your maintenance up to date that`s all you need.... Anyway after 10 years and over 800 000kms and a strong running cummins still, the rest of the truck is starting to fall apart ahahahahahahahah!!!!!!

#11 ·
If money were no object, I'd be running Amsoil. Too expensive and as someone else said, I've heard of guys getting 300k plus on dino oil so, since I won't have my truck for maybe half of that, I can't justify the cost.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the info and answers. I have read lot of info on oils too, that is why chose the amsoil. But it's hard to justify the cost when there are lots of other good oils for deisels out there. I will have to make decision. Thanks again, Alseman

#13 ·
I see some comments where others are using other brands of Synthetic diesel oils (which is fine) and commented that the cost can't be justified. So I did some research in the last weeks at local auto parts stores, Tractor Supply, NAPA, online pricing, etc. on Synthetic Diesel Oil Brands and the price on 1 gal jugs. These prices are close and a Avg of what I have seen. Some probably will find deals somewhat cheaper where they live. Here is a list I put together with pricing in my area, give or take. JMO looks like Amsoil pricing is competitive.

1. Mobil Delvac Syn 5w-40 $32 to $49 gal. CJ-4
2. Royal Purple 15w-40 $36 to $39 gal. CJ-4
3. Schaeffers 9000 Syn $23 to $25 gal. CJ-4
4. Rotella T 5w-40 Syn $23 to $28 gal. CJ-4
5. Valv Extrm 5w-40 Syn $30 to $35 gal. CJ-4

AMSOIL Wholesale prices:

AMSOIL DEO 5w-40 Syn $27.25 gal. CJ-4
AMSOIL DME 15w-40 Syn $26.85 gal. CJ-4
AMSOIL AME 15w-40 Syn $24.90 gal. CI-4+
AMSOIL HDD 5w-30 Syn $31.60 gal CI-4+

#14 ·
I don't know where you found those prices for those 5 oils. I'm running valvoline right now that i paid $25 a gallon. Rotells 5w-40 at walmart sells for $19 a gallon. And i was running schaeffers before i switched to valvoline at it was $20 a gallon. I will switch to mobil 1 5w-40 next oil change and found it for $25 a gallon. Those prices you listed are way off.

#15 ·
I just changed with Rotella Syn. 19.50 at Walmart. This is the first time I've ever run synthetic in my truck and now, I will always run it in the winter. We had some pretty cold days and the starting was much easier.

#17 · (Edited)
LOL...not quite, cause that's what they sell for and what i bought it for. Unless they sell for quite a bit more where you live. But those are the prices in my area. I could care less about the royal purple or redline prices cause i will never use them, not to mention...you didn't even list price for redline. but as far as the other oil prices you listed aren't even close to the prices here in NY. I believe D-man already showed that with paying $19.50 a gal for the 5w-40 rotella. Goes to show "YOU" are way off.

#20 · (Edited)
Where i'am at, tractor supply typicaly sell's their oil's for about 3 to 4 bucks more per gallon then walmart. Their own in house brand use to be the cheapest in town, and i liked it for many reasons. Now they are selling it for as much as walmart sell's delo 400.. I got tired of the oil price swings at the stores, now i use tractor supply in everything but three items. Those 3 i use amsoil and rotella syn.. When you go through about 200 gallons of oil in a year just on changes, you cut where you can. Both hassle and price! On a side note, walmart sell's the rotella syn here for about 19 ish, every other store is 23 to 24.00 for the same jug. If i have to pay the higher price for the rotella, i simply go ahead and order the amsoil, and have it in about 2/3 days. It's a better product anyway...

#22 · (Edited)
Good oil is good oil !

Then you have your oils that are better than those, and then oils that are the best of the best. :D All oils will lubricate and protect a engine, some do a much better job, and last much longer in service. Most of your syn oils are a Group 3 hydrocracked refined oils and are referred to Syn, but the truth is they are not syn. Some use a blend of PAO and hydrocracked mineral oil.

Example: Rotella T6 is a Blend of polyolefins and highly refined mineral oil. Not a 100% full PAO syn. You can look at any oils MSDS sheet to find this info. Not bashing T6 its a good oil as others.

#26 ·
Don't take long to get a reply on a oil thread
I normally reply immediately to threads I'm subscribed to if I happen to be sitting at the computer when the email comes in. This was one of 11 so far this morning, from 4 different forums. This is the only diesel message board I currently participate in.

Oil is a commodity. There's no measurable performance difference between any vendor's product within the same grade/class of product. That's why Amsoil's marketing scheme to make it out to be something it's not is a scam.

#25 ·
I run the Valvoline PB syn./blend at $10 a gallon. Filter every 5k, oil every 10k.

#27 · (Edited)
I love when people say Amsoils a scheme:

The notion that Amsoil is not a legitimate Product or Opportunity is perpetuated by the ignorance of those who can not be bothered to educate themselves on the subject of Synthetic Lubricants. Amsoil was the First Synthetic(TM) API-rated oil developed for automotive use. The "big oil" companies scoffed at the very idea! Big Oil Manufacturers would like you to believe that Amsoil is a "BAD" Pyramid scheme. I will leave it up to you to figure the why? of that one. The fact is that they were about 40 years late to the party and Amsoil is a real threat to "Big Oil" profits.

Amsoil is a legitimate Multi-level Marketing (MLM) Business. Amsoil is not a get rich quick scheme and if you are looking to get rich without working you should probably just keep looking, because Amsoil is not a business for you. Like anything else you do, the more effort you put in the more successful you will be. As an Amsoil Dealer you do not have to sponsor anyone else if you wish not to. You can make money just by selling the product, and there are many ways to do just that. Amsoil DOES NOT pay a commission for signing up dealers, Amsoil DOES NOT require dealers to carry any inventory. All Products are distributed directly through Amsoil warehouses located throughout the US, with Amsoil handling all of the transactions, shipping, sales tax, and the headaches.

If someone don't want to use it, DON'T. I have been doing this a long time, and every customer I have is satisfied.

#28 ·
The notion that Amsoil is not a legitimate Product ...
Nobody said it is not a legitimate product. It is a legitimate product for people ignorant enough to believe the hype and spend more than it is worth. Amsoil gets it's basestock and add packs from the same sources XOM, Shell and every other vendor does. The only difference is they don't actually make it themselves. They just blend it and tell you it's better so that's why it costs more. Show one shred of real evidence from actual non-biased 3rd party comparo performace testing to support a claim that the equivalent Amsoil product is any better than Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic oil.

That "is" the topic of this thread - not "Amsoil Sales Pitch Here."

#30 ·
Nadir,

You crack me up... So what do you think Base Stock is? LOL I guess all Lube Manufactures other than Amsoil refine their own Base Stock. HAHA I guess Royal Purple produces their own base stock too??? What about Schaeffer’s they do as well oh and lets even look and Valvoline and the list goes on..

Sorry bud, but I just happen to handle shipments of fractional distilled oil (FDO) to many Lube manufactures. Second party Manufactures even make most of the lubrication products that Shell, Mobil and other Oil conglomerates offer to the end consumer…

#32 ·
Seriously, Dude...

So what do you think Base Stock is?
Uh, maybe something like...
...fractional distilled oil (FDO)
You know the stuff you...
...handle shipments of ...to many Lube manufactures.
Second party Manufactures even make most of the lubrication products that Shell, Mobil and other Oil conglomerates offer to the end consumer…
Which is pretty what I said in this post:
Amsoil gets it's basestock and add packs from the same sources XOM, Shell and every other vendor does.
So either you have a pretty serious reading comprehension problem or you are just a complete 'tard. I'm not sure which yet.

#31 ·
:popcorn

#33 ·
Nadir,

Your my buddy now!! LOL You just proved everything your griping about to be the same for the majority of all lube products out there.. Thank You for backing me up with your confirmation..

Man I love people that can't argue with facts and try in vein to still maintain some sense of pride.. LOL

Reactions: merlin5577
#35 ·
D-Man,
No problem.. Reread with an open mind to the manufacture of all lubrication products. It doesn’t matter who produces the product they all receive FDO and add their own (in some cases proprietary) chemical additives and developed their own amalgamation methods.

In other words whether it is Rotella, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobile 1 or whatever; pick your poison. They all get it in the same structure. Now what they formulate via chemical makeup is what they use to try and separate themselves from each other; whether it is Dino, Blend or Synthetic end product.

BTW: I'm not knocking him in my last Post I'm thanking him.. ;) and no all Synthetic nor Belnd nor Dino is completely the same, unless repackaged under a different name. i.e . WIX makes all of Napa's fitlers and Napa proudly says so.....

#37 ·
This is the key point:

They all get it in the same structure. Now what they formulate via chemical makeup is what they use to try and separate themselves from each other; whether it is Dino, Blend or Synthetic end product.
And that is where the Scamsoil model falls flat to anyone who cares to look into it. They all mix the same things in slightly different ways or using slightly different adds - all from the same sources. The only difference possibly seen is from laboratory chemical or spectrometer analysis. These differences have no measurable impact on engine performance. They can't - it would be too obvious, not to mention API specifications, yada, yada. But the salesmen will have you believe otherwise.

At the end of the day there are only two factors any rational consumer can consider: Brand loyalty and/or price. If you want to be Amsoil brand loyal at a higher price, by all means - go for it! :rock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.