The Diesel Garage banner

Cold Start Problems

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  colgate372 
#1 ·
I am having an issue with cold starting. At +30F and below, It will not start unless the block heater has been on for 30 minutes. I put a scanner to it and it registered the intake air temperature as 19C and the block temp at 5C (actual outdoor temp was 12C)
Any ideas??
'03 HO, 145K miles.

G
#2 ·
When you say it will not start does it just crank and never fire, does it crank and white smoke, or will it not do anything at all? I am leaning towards either bad/weak batteries or something in the intake heater system. The reason I say bad/weak bateries first is because it should still start without being plugged in to atleast 0*. A diesel needs to spin fast to start. Couple the cold, tighter clearences, and harder to atomize the cold fuel good batteries are a must.

Have you noticed once it is started without being plugged in when cold does your volt gauge cycle as the grid heater kicks on and off?

#3 ·
like bill said it could be your batteries. go down to napa or a local garage and get a load test done on it.. the CCA's (cold cranking amps) on my battery is 750 if yours doesnt read that then the batteries are bad the machine will say."bad battery" well atleast the one i have acess to says that.

#4 ·
Batteries aren't the problem. Cranks ALL DAY! Won't start below +30F without the block heater plugged in.
Fuel pressure is at 7psi on start up, 3psi lugging on long hills.
Am I battling a computer probelm or fuel pressure??

#6 ·
I had somthing like that a while back
the dealer said the fuel rail drain (thats what i was told) went bad and aloud air to get in and drained the fuel back to the tank....but it would sill sart after a few minutes there may be jelling in the fuel filter and wont let it flow till its warmed up.... the only resin i think that is when i bought the truck the dealer told me there is a block, fuel filter, fuel tank, oil, and battery heaters

#9 ·
I talked to a buddy he said there might a flash update for the computer he said that's the only thing it could be without him digging in deeper....i heard its around 100 bucks to get the computer flashed unless you tried that but he said to keep it hush hush to the dealer they might come up with a bunch of b.s. to get some more cash out of you??? that's up to you thats all i got for know ill let you know if he comes up with more

#11 ·
cold start issues

I have an 04 with the same problem. If I leave the block heater plugged in, the truck will start right up. Under 60* I can crank and crank and crack with no start up. I wired my intake heater to a switch in the cab, watched the amp gauge drop and come back up. All it managed to do was low the battery.
let me know what u find out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.