The Diesel Garage banner

any way to turn up a 3406c?

29K views 46 replies 17 participants last post by  379Longhood 
#1 ·
I know they are partially electronic...any way to get more power out of them?

#2 ·
"Partially Electronic"?

Either they are electronic, or they are not, yes even the "C" models.

If it has "PEEK" (the electronic pump), then you can have it bumped up in the computer, but having never done this on a CAT PEEK engine, I cannot say what the options are.

I would think that your local CAT distributor would be your best source of information.

#3 ·
there is a Cat dealer not too far away, I just don't know how they'd like the idea of turning up the power on a truck, they JUST started working on trucks, they have been an equipment dealer for many years.

I thought the C's were kind of a weird breed b/c they had some electronic parts and some mechanical, not all electronic like a E

#6 ·
wow thanks for all that info!! I didn't examine the pump too long when I looked at the truck, but I did take a quick look at it and looked very similar to the pump on my current 3406b. next time I looka t the truck I will check it out better nad try and let you know what system it really is. so if it is mechanical can it be turned up just like a 3406b?? and if it has the PEEC system, is that what a 3406e uses??

#8 ·
wow that's some great info. I've read it a few times and I need to read it a few more to really understand it though. so this works for a C motor as well as a B, as long as the C doesn't have PEEK? I have turned the 2 allen head screws behind the small cover on the back of the pump on my B, I felt a little increase and power but nothing major. the real reason I am asking about turning up a C motor is b/c the truck in particular I am looking as is a 350 hp C, and my current B is 425 and I am worried the new truck won't have enough power for me. ok let me go read that again....

#11 ·
I took a look at my Dad's 3406c today (95 model) and his has pump has the same cover on the rear of it that you remove with the 2 bolts and lossen the nuts and turn the allen wrench head screws to turn up the power. hopefully the 3406c in the WS (97 model) will have the same setup.

I appreciate all the info on the pump, it's kinda hard for me to understand it though, I'm the type of guy who needs pictures to follw sometimes...

#12 ·
actually I just re-read an above post and I do think my Dad's pump has something on the back of the pump with 2 wires coming out if it, kinda like a solinoid? there is an actual throttle shaft though, I knowit's not drive by wire. that cover with the 2 screws is there, but I don't know whats underneth it.

#13 ·
Well there will be a shutdown solenoid on the pump so it will shut off on the key switch.Pretty much all mechanicals have that except for old 2 stroke detroits.

#15 ·
just an update, ynot has really helped me gain knowlege of the 3406C. I have tried to turn it up, but it doesn't appear to respond as well to pump adjustments as a 3406B.

#17 ·
yup mines mechanical. I have turned out the rack screws but I need more power. I don't know what else I can do....

#18 ·
check and make sure the SMOKE VALVE AFRC isn't holding you back with the rack travel , ynot probably knows more about it than me .I have had experience with the 1600 series and the 3406A - B models.You have to check and make sure it isn't limiting the full rack travel on you

#19 ·
dicky said:
check and make sure the SMOKE VALVE AFRC isn't holding you back with the rack travel , ynot probably knows more about it than me .I have had experience with the 1600 series and the 3406A - B models.You have to check and make sure it isn't limiting the full rack travel on you
ok ynot, wanna give a little more info on that:thanks:

#20 ·
up towards the top of the post where he described in great detail about the fuel rack adjustment screws he did talk about it , go back and re-read it again , it'll have a hose on it from the intake side reading the boost thats in the intake .Like he says turn it in and just leave enough sticking out to lock it back up.what it does is limit rack travel till theres boost, so it limits smoke on shifting.hope this helps

#37 ·
Everyone thanking the ynot for all this great info and all i see in his posting is three little "...". Help me out here guys, im not very puter savy:bang . I paid my comcast bill, honest !!! How do i get at all this great info that is passing by me? Maybe ynot is afraid of burying me with all this new knowledge???
Keep posting away men, this forum is the greatest !!! :thumbsup :happymugs

#22 ·
25 psi peak boost and 800 EGT's are my max readings.

if my EGT's are ony 800 I have room to go, unless the pump is giving me all it can.

I do wish I had more power though, it's just not cutting it for me. I guess I have between 375 and 400? adjusting the rack screws did give me more power but not a really impressive increase. when I adjusted the rack in my 3406b I could realllly tell the difference. could I put a 3406B pump on my 3406C :cool:

#24 ·
Wow i'm a little late here!!

I'm reall new here, to this whole thing. But Tony thanks alot for the advice! Im a montana farm/rancher and drive my dads 3406B pete 379. Its supposed to be 425 but im gonna tune it like you said. I also found a KW 900 cheap that im buying with a 1693 in it but every one tells me that motor was a dog. Its supposed to have been turned to 550 for pullin. What should i do or check to make it last longer and and get fair milage but stay around 500 horse. Any help would be great!

#26 ·
kylegroh said:
I'm reall new here, to this whole thing. But Tony thanks alot for the advice! Im a montana farm/rancher and drive my dads 3406B pete 379. Its supposed to be 425 but im gonna tune it like you said. I also found a KW 900 cheap that im buying with a 1693 in it but every one tells me that motor was a dog. Its supposed to have been turned to 550 for pullin. What should i do or check to make it last longer and and get fair milage but stay around 500 horse. Any help would be great!
Here's a start- http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25571

Sounds like fun, but I hear you better have a deep wallet to keep it going sometimes. I'd keep it as a toy, not a work truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.