The Diesel Garage banner

6.0 Single Alternator system replacement upgrade?'s

56K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  lilpooh 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 F250 SD 6.0 Powerstroke and the single 110 amp alternator needs to be replaced/rebuilt. I am told the stock 135 amp top alternator of the 04 dual alternator system will work as it's replacement for an upgrade to a higher output alternator in it's place by a local reputable Independent alternator repair shop owner. But, I noticed the pulley diameter is different in my investigating the specs- The 110 amp has a 69mm pulley while the 135 amp has the 71mm pulley. Anyone know or had success in using the 135 amp top alternator to replace the 110 amp alternator by just changing the pulley? Also, Will the 135 amp top alternator (dual alternator system) perform with the OE ECM that is designed for the 110 amp single alternator system without changes needed to the ECM settings?

#2 ·
The PCM in a single alternator truck does not communicate w/ the alternator. You do not need to worry about compatability w/ the PCM in your decision of which alternator to buy.

#3 ·
I would want to know that the output at idle is the same or better. Just because the peak output rating is higher doesn't mean the idle output is. I would be concerned that it is in fact reduced to accommodate the combined charge output of two alternators from the dual system. At the bare minimum, the pulley difference is an indicator that an engineer saw a need to slow it down slightly (3%). Your alternator repair shop should have a test stand to verify the outputs and be able to give you some additional insight.

Amps are like torque in the electrical system, if they aren't available where you need them, they aren't of much use to you.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Look up DC Power INC I have their 270amp alternator. You will need to upgrade the cables along with it but you never have another problem again. The problem with pumped up stock sized case alternators is HEAT and that will destroy the diodes in due time and you will be again replacing what only seems like a better alternator again.

#6 ·
They are great aren't they?

I have the 250A and love it!

#8 ·
Appreciate the help guys.

After reviewing the info of alternatorparts.com,and contacting the owner in the demo video, I decided to return the purchased Autozone alternator and ditch the lifetime warranty plan altogether and go with his larger housing unit and it's new components. Better quality and deal, cooler running, less likely to have to have to replace this one as soon as the smaller case OE 110 or 135 amp remanufactured alternators. Plus it appears he will service this quickly should the need arise. 1 year warranty keeps the price affordable and Getting it here in a couple of days is a plus. "The smaller 69 mm pulley is used on all the 6G Series alternators offered at alternatorparts.com" I was told for increased idle output amps.
The 185 amp from DCPowerInc is just 40 bucks more shipped but delivery of 2-3 weeks leaves me wondering How long will I be waiting for a replacement in an emergency situation. My old retiring alternator is good for a back up but I don't want to consider using it for more than a week. Either way, both companies look good and the 140 amp unit meets my needs for this workhorse. Thanks again and now I will need to address the issue of tuners for this ride to get the power with less throttle and fuel mileage up. Any help is appreciated on getting the best tuner "bang for the buck" here

#9 ·
now I will need to address the issue of tuners for this ride to get the power with less throttle and fuel mileage up. Any help is appreciated on getting the best tuner "bang for the buck" here
SCT with custom tunes is the way to go with the 6.0. But before you start adding power, you should get gauges/monitor first.

#11 ·
Stay away from programmers that are shift on the fly, they won't tune your trans to handle the extra power, which could cause issues with the trans.

IMO, and along with many other members, the SCT with custom tunes is the only way to go!!

You can check out Eric from Innovative Diesel, they sell the X-3 with custom tunes included in the price for $429. You can also check out Matt at Gearhead Automotive, and Vivian from Quicktricks Automotive.

For a monitor solution, the cheapest would be the ScangaugeII but it won't read fuel psi or EGT, you'll need analog gauges for that.

Next would be the Edge Insight CS or CTS that is expandable in order to read fuel psi and EGT on the unit.

Then if you want to analog gauges to monitor everything that is essential for the 6.0, you'll be right up there in price with the CS/CTS expandable.

The good thing about the ScangaugeII or CS/CTS units are they will also a great code reader, along with being able to read certain sensors volt, % cycle duty, and output to help troubleshoot issues with the truck. You won't be able to do this with analog gauges.

#12 ·
Stay away from programmers that are shift on the fly, they won't tune your trans to handle the extra power, which could cause issues with the trans.
The good thing about the ScangaugeII or CS/CTS units are they will also a great code reader, along with being able to read certain sensors volt, % cycle duty, and output to help troubleshoot issues with the truck. You won't be able to do this with analog gauges.
Thanks for the help. I will check into this soon as I can next. This truck needs the attention asap. getting 10.5 mpg in town. Could be something else wrong of course.. I'm the new owner having it a couple of weeks now. Sharp truck but is sucking the fuel chewing up the payment for the tuning and gauges. Hope to get to this other issue soon.

#13 ·
Let's see some pics!!!!

Being that it's a '04, you need to see what year motor it is. The early '04's came with the '03 motor. You can look on the pass side valve cover, there should be a emissions sticker on it with the year. This will help you when ordering certain parts.

The '03-early '04's have the ICP sensor behind the turbo and the late '04's have the ICP on pass side valve cover. Early '04's have a 10 blade turbine wheel on the turbo (very loud whistle when straight piped). Also the intake manifold has a support bridge connecting the intake runners at the back of the motor behind the turbo. There are updated parts for the '03 motors that can also be done if you ever decide to tear into the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.