The Diesel Garage banner

ACERT air compressor issue

31K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  motovader1 
#1 ·
Just to give some of the others that have a ACERT a little notice. Check your air compressors intake fitting...mine pulled the threads out of the compressor head last night. The fitting and hard line are to long and heavy from what I see and Bendix Tech Support confirmed my idea. The guys at Bendix commented that they have had this issue since the motors were released and that CAT was told they needed a fitting that had more threads (mine was only in about 4 threads:gaah). Now I'm faced with replacing the compressor to be on the safe side since metal shavings went through the thing. The first 2 pics show me rocking the fitting side to side while its still "screwed" into the head. The last 2 I'm trying to show how few of the threads the fitting actually uses. My simple fix to get me rolling again was to JB Weld the fitting back onto the head. I did this cause a Pete dealer wanted $700 after the core charge for a new compressor:thumbdown. I can get the same unit for $490 at the house.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That is pathetic. WAY to shallow.

#6 ·
I was planning on pulling the head when I get in just for the heck of it, if it looks good I will probably take your advice and run it. The next issue will be trying to get my "retro fit fitting" out of the top of the head.:haha:thinking

cat came out with a product improvement letter to try to take care of this before it happened, i checked on the parts pricing today while i was at work and it appears that the parts that they recommend to repair are around 170 dollars, so they are aware of it. not sure why they would not come up with somekind of recall to help...hmmmm yours aint the first.....good luck
I have given up on CAT and the worthless help I get as a single O/O. Bendix was way more than helpful on the phone then CAT has ever been in person. Thank you for looking up the parts and prices. I have a plan figured out for my own retro fit when I get to the house. Thanks again guys...I just don't want others to end up with my situation. I got go and finish this beer before it gets warm:happymugs while I watch the JB Weld finish hardening...later

#5 ·
cat came out with a product improvement letter to try to take care of this before it happened, i checked on the parts pricing today while i was at work and it appears that the parts that they recommend to repair are around 170 dollars, so they are aware of it. not sure why they would not come up with somekind of recall to help...hmmmm yours aint the first.....good luck

#8 ·
Like everyone says common cat issue,done a few of these but were under warranty so the compressor was swapped out,make sure there is no shavings anywhere,or I would recommend you just get rid of that whole screwy idea of a intake setup,and plug the head and run the compressor intake hose to your air intake to the engine!!!!Gtta love the BA 921s!!!!!:(

#9 ·
I have never been a fan of taking an air compressor that is made to be run on boost and put it under a vacuum situation. Just put on a remote filter, Bendix sells them, and then change the filter once a year. On the 3406 B's we tried everything to get them to stop pumping oil into the air system, they got the air intake modified with a 3/4 NPT bung welded in it, they were aluminum then, and it was worse. Put on the remote filter, problem solved. They also gained a lot of boost pressure, the air dryers of the day did not have the valve that stops the boost from going threw the drier at that time. Putting it into the air intake was a $500.00 bill the filter was $10.00, a gasket and two bolts. Works for me.

#19 ·
Yeah I just had a buddy of mine get popped up in Monroe county Michigan for 27,000 over. They tagged him with a fine of $2,300. Plus made him transfer a coil off to another truck. Total cost (fine, another truck & trucking, and wrecker) was around $3,500. I was lucky and only got caught twice. Both times I was only about 3,000 over so it was no biggie. I will say that my neighbor is the local weighmaster and he just laughed when I backed in my driveway with 123,000 on the deck. He didn't even want to start all the paperwork, so we just sat there drinking beer.:roflol:

#20 ·
I have had the same thing on my compressor. I repaired it on the road by running a hose clamp over the fitting and under the rear of the hed. Got me home from OR to MD. When i got home I made up a clamp that pulls down on the fitting, and utilises the front 2 compressor head bolts. That was 2 years ago, and have had no trouble since. As far as I can gather, you can not buy a head seperate. Another alternative I was going to do was get the hole helicoiled. Metal into the compressor could be an issue, but so far so good. Good luck