The Diesel Garage banner

Help! Ford 2005 F350 6.0L

5K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Thrillbilly 
#1 ·
I have lost turbo boost in my 2005 Ford 350 Superduty Deisel. I took it to a friend of mine and told me to look at the intercooler. My question is am I on the right track in resolving this problem? If so... would it be a wise decision to put in an aftermarket intercooler in and what kind? I recently had the turbo rebuilt so I am certain it is not a turbo issue. When I had the turbo rebuilt I was getting 18 pounds of boost and now I am down to only 10 pounds at full throttle. If anyone has an answered it is greatly appreciated. :thanks:

#2 ·
If you have no boost, I highly doubt the intercooler has anything to do with it. I would suspect whoever "rebuilt" your turbo. You should have seen almost 30psi with your stock turbo, 18 is nothing. Sounds like it's rusted and vanes are getting hung up. If you want an aftermarket intercooler though, spearco is the way to go. Where are you located? Under warranty? How many miles? What mods?

#3 ·
Yeah, 18psi is low. A totally stock truck should dish out 22-25psi under load. Sounds like something is getting worse and that made it go from a not-so-great 18psi down to a deplorable 10psi. In fact, the IC can do this if the boots or CAC tubes come loose. Hear and hissing sounds when you get on it? If so, go over all the connections for the IC from the turbo to the IC to the intake. If your IC system is buttoned up tight, then I would agree that the turbo is the main culprit.

Ralph

#4 ·
If you don't find any charge air cooler connections to be loose or leaking, there are a few more things to look at before taking the turbo back out. The first thing is to remove the EGR valve and inspect it. Make sure the valve opens and snaps back closed. If the valve doesn't move easily or is stuck open (even a little) you will not build the right amount of boost.

#7 ·
This is just a thought....cracked y-pipe....have a buddy rev your engine,....while you look under the hood...if you see black smoke..than that could be it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.