The Diesel Garage banner

No start, unless wiggle gear selector lever..

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  double-s-diesel 
#1 ·
A lot more often lately, when I go to start up my truck, it doesn't turnover. If I wiggle the gear selector lever (auto tranny, in PARK position) it allows the ignition to work and the truck fires right up. Is this a problem with the park shift solenoid/interlock? Or maybe the digital transmission range sensor? It seems to be getting worse by the day. It's like the truck is not quite in PARK all the way, and so it wont let the truck start until I adjust the selector a bit. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a repair? Thanks

#2 ·
Look under the dash at the base of the steering column. While you are looking under there wiggle the gear shifter or have someone do it for you. I will bet you see a piece with a couple torx head screws that loosened up. Tighten the screws and you will be good as new.

#4 ·
seen it happen a bunch of times

#3 ·
Either that or the Neutral Safety Switch on the trans (DTR it's called) is out of adjustment.

I agree with the above poster, normally it's one of the screws on the top side of the column above the brake pedal that holds the shift quadrant to the shift tube in the column. I have seen the column tube bushings wear out and cause the same symptoms, $12 in parts (2 bushings) and it's fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.