The Diesel Garage banner

3408 dita

10K views 37 replies 7 participants last post by  kblackav8or 
#1 ·
anybody know of a kit to convert to EFI ??
is there any such thing as EFI nozzles for B model cups ??
yes Tony... I'm gonna drive you nuts on this one...

#3 ·
No prob bud!! Easy too... Hit the salvage yard. Completely different heads (not just adapter bores), change the crank (for sensor read), steel top pistons, cam, intake and turbo(s), cases, covers, looms, sensors and holes for them, on and on. It's really a whole different beast. It'd be twice the cost in just parts to convert one than it would be to even buy a ReMan, not to mention a salvage Gen motor. Sorry... :(

#6 ·
How much is it to fiddle with the fuel delivery in a 3408? I think the fuel pump on a 3408 is the ONE place where cat parts are more exspeisive.

last time i heard of 3408 fuel pump needing rebuilt it was more $$$ that a complete turn key re-man 3406.

#11 ·
Drop the CB and step away!!!!!!!!! :poke . It's about $2300 for a built pump complete :)
sorry it took so long for me to get back...business has been a BEEEIIOOCHH!!!
Tony...this thing started out as a 450 precup motor..1979 model...I will uncover it tomarrow if you need the numbers but most everything has been changed...( wait..it gets better !! )...
I ran this thing for years and it did a good job...(I know a few tricks on a old cat)..it would pass most anything ( yeah ..I hear ya...in fact some of my gang did run fired up KTA's )..except a fuel stop...it finally broke some rings..( too much experimenting with timing I think )..so I called this guy I had heard so much about..( you will figure out who ..im sure...) Im not saying he did me wrong...he asked me what I wanted out of the motor and told me what he thought I needed...gave me a price on parts and done deal..
anyway I got out of the business for a few years and now that the kids are grown I recently got back in...now I got some old Pete's and a whole bunch of parts from years ago..(my new wife calls a mechanical packrat...I dont see where this justified..you just never know when you might be in need of a 3408 and maybe a double over box and maybe a set of twin sticks ???? ) anyway i'm back truckin and want to build a toy...
oh..forgot....balanced rotating assm..teflon and ceramic deal on the pistons ... direct nozzles...upgraded barrels and plungers...they were supposed to be the largest I could use in the beast but it just never ran like I expected it to... I was told the limiting factor was the I.D. of the injector lines ...I dont know...I just got disgusted and pulled the thing and replaced it with a cummins..HEY !! stop your screamin of BLASPHEMY !!!
I did what I had to do ....I had it in stock...the ex-wife had me broke...and I got it to make some descent power and it actually got descent mileage if I wasnt tryin to piss of a KTA...
anyway I was just wondering what sort of animal I could create next ??
(the voices tell me its possible....shhhhhh)
Welp, you have worms all over you can!!~ First, DI pumps won't fill on a PC cam in a pump. The pumps must match the cam, which must match the valve cam, which must match the nozzles, which must match the compression ratio, which must match the turbo, etc.............

A B pump will have bigger barrels, and will have a good cam to match. The rest is mix and match to whatever specs you want. A converted PC is purdy far from an 08B. Kinda need the build list now (which piston #, which cams, nozzles, etc...)

One more thing. The ID of the fuel lines is very close to the dumbest thing I've ever heard, but sure is funny since Cat has ever only had one fuel line, from a 3204 clear to the 3616 at 330hp per cylinder (at stock setting) :thumbsup

#10 ·
sorry it took so long for me to get back...business has been a BEEEIIOOCHH!!!
Tony...this thing started out as a 450 precup motor..1979 model...I will uncover it tomarrow if you need the numbers but most everything has been changed...( wait..it gets better !! )...
I ran this thing for years and it did a good job...(I know a few tricks on a old cat)..it would pass most anything ( yeah ..I hear ya...in fact some of my gang did run fired up KTA's )..except a fuel stop...it finally broke some rings..( too much experimenting with timing I think )..so I called this guy I had heard so much about..( you will figure out who ..im sure...) Im not saying he did me wrong...he asked me what I wanted out of the motor and told me what he thought I needed...gave me a price on parts and done deal..
anyway I got out of the business for a few years and now that the kids are grown I recently got back in...now I got some old Pete's and a whole bunch of parts from years ago..(my new wife calls a mechanical packrat...I dont see where this justified..you just never know when you might be in need of a 3408 and maybe a double over box and maybe a set of twin sticks ???? ) anyway i'm back truckin and want to build a toy...
oh..forgot....balanced rotating assm..teflon and ceramic deal on the pistons ... direct nozzles...upgraded barrels and plungers...they were supposed to be the largest I could use in the beast but it just never ran like I expected it to... I was told the limiting factor was the I.D. of the injector lines ...I dont know...I just got disgusted and pulled the thing and replaced it with a cummins..HEY !! stop your screamin of BLASPHEMY !!!
I did what I had to do ....I had it in stock...the ex-wife had me broke...and I got it to make some descent power and it actually got descent mileage if I wasnt tryin to piss of a KTA...
anyway I was just wondering what sort of animal I could create next ??
(the voices tell me its possible....shhhhhh)

#12 ·
Interesting.

Last one i seen get put in was in a cat 621 scraper. It ended up costing the dude $6,250 buy the time the machine was burning fuel again.

#16 ·
Well here in lovely state of California their going to outlaw any truck over 10 years old that doesn't meet Tier3 emissions.

So naturally i thought if their going to outlaw old trucks i wanna be an outlaw with an old truck.

It would be registered "historical" and only haul "MY Loads" I found a couple that were pretty close to the perfect truck but was a day late on them. The other ones i have found were pretty far gone and needed to much TLC.

I wouldn't kick a 1693 or a KTA outta bed for eating crackers either.

But i also wouldn't feel comfortable driving a truck that didnt have something else besides service brakes to scrub some momentum.

#17 ·
Well here in lovely state of California their going to outlaw any truck over 10 years old that doesn't meet Tier3 emissions.

So naturally i thought if their going to outlaw old trucks i wanna be an outlaw with an old truck.

It would be registered "historical" and only haul "MY Loads" I found a couple that were pretty close to the perfect truck but was a day late on them. The other ones i have found were pretty far gone and needed to much TLC.

I wouldn't kick a 1693 or a KTA outta bed for eating crackers either.

But i also wouldn't feel comfortable driving a truck that didnt have something else besides service brakes to scrub some momentum.
Ah, here in lies the dilemma :thinking

#19 ·
Dually...does that mean that with the historic tags out there you can still legally "cloud it up" ?? TOO COOL !!!
as for the ones that need alot of TLC ...they are the best ones ...buy them cheap...strip em down to nothin...build it back "right"...whatever power you want...brand new rails for the 325 WB...big new apartment in back...custom wild paint..way too much stainless & chrome & LED's...OOOOPS..be back in awhile...wheres my woman ??? ..hey baby..say hello to my little friend .....

#25 ·
well Historical vehicle plates are fairly restrictive as to what you can haul and where but yes thats the ONLY way you can run old iron with these new horse**** regs.

And im more of a day cab guy myself. My 06 T-800 was 195" WB 22K steer 52K rears, 2050ft lb 18spd, extended day cab on 425/65/R22.5 steer tires 11R24.5 drives 550hp C-15

if i built and A model it would be to the same spec's. with the 3408 it would almost definitely be an extended hood A so thats $$$$ couple that with the fact that some of these guys think their truck has some solid gold bars hidden in it somewhere i gotta keep looking for the perfect truck.

It needs to be a runner i just don't have the time, space, or attention span to tear one down and build it back up. gotta keep my eye on the primary business at all times.

#20 ·
Brakesavers

Hello men: Never had any experience with brakesaver. What sort of retarding power do they have, compared to newer cat jakes, etc? I would like to find a motor with brakesaver on it, but appears to be similar to findind a needle in a haystack. I contacted Cat 2-3 years ago about putting one on a truck and was told it would be extremely cost prohibitive.
Now they are a collectors item, i understand they are no longer made. There is a guy in town that has one on a C16 and he says the brakesaver heats up the engine oil fast, have to keep eye on the temp gauge.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts...... thank you, david:usflag

#21 ·
mine did a good job I thought ....as good as my cummins that I always kept "tight" because I depended on it so much ( back in the day we spent alot of time "thru the woods with a whole lot of gravity"....the brakesaver would lock up the drives with a empty reefer on a wet road...as for cost Tony would be the man on that...but I would imagine to be very expensive to retrofit..as for oil temp yeah she would get warm if I pulled the bar for longer than about 30 sec I guess...but it came back down pretty quick with the oil cooler being just about as long as the engine...

#30 ·
No., It is more than that and what more is that you will need larger engine oil cooler and yeah you will need specal tools to work on brakesaver now that going be pain in ase I allready done few of them before they are pretty picky on how to get in in the right way.

Also If you have 3408 engine those engine do not come with Jake Brake on it.

No, c'est plus que cela et ce qui plus est que vous aurez besoin du plus grand refroidisseur d'huile-moteur et ouais vous aurez besoin d'outils specal pour travailler(marcher) sur brakesaver maintenant qu'allant être la douleur dans ase je déjà fait peu d'entre eux avant qu'ils ne soient assez chicaneurs sur la façon d'entrer de la façon juste.

Aussi si vous avez 3408 moteur ce moteur n'y vient pas avec Jake Brake.

Merci,Marc

#31 ·
Brakesaver

I contacted Cat 3-4 years ago about puting a brakesaver on my truck. Just as Tony said, they said it would be cost prohibitive. I dont remember all the details(help me out here, Tony), but i believe it has its own oil pan, oil pump, of course the plumbing. Cab had to be plumbed and of course the cab controls. Im sure there is more, i forget all the details...:bang.
I would love to find a wrecked 16L truck with a brakesaver, but i figure i will hit the lottery first........:(

#32 ·
I contacted Cat 3-4 years ago about puting a brakesaver on my truck. Just as Tony said, they said it would be cost prohibitive. I dont remember all the details(help me out here, Tony), but i believe it has its own oil pan, oil pump, of course the plumbing. Cab had to be plumbed and of course the cab controls. Im sure there is more, i forget all the details...:bang.
I would love to find a wrecked 16L truck with a brakesaver, but i figure i will hit the lottery first........:(
Well, we'll have a new pan, four 2" X (whatever) steel tubes, four flange mounts and seals, a 10,000lb oil cooler the size of Rhode Island (and support brackets), turn backs for the oil cooler, a piggy back oil pump, four more tubes in the pan plus the valve body, secondary pick-up/ dump and mounts, a flexplate style flywheel with starter ring, air lines, gauges and column actuator, and oh, the Brakesaver housing itself with rotors and feeds which is $6K+ by itself, so I'd have to say "add-on Brakesaver" is between $11K and $14K just in parts, or even more in a more expensive part of the country :gaah

#34 ·
as far as i know 2006 was the last year you could order a brakesaver on a Big bore CAT.

I tried to order one on my 06KW T-800 heavy haul but there was some BS reason i couldn't have one.

I think it might have had something to do with the fact that my wheelbase was only 195"

#35 ·
Guys .,

IIRC je sais qu'un certain brakesaver peut vous obtenir par suprise., un article crictail que j'ai oublié de vous mentionner est le démarreur que quelque chose vous devrez payer ce détail à attetion vous ne pouvez pas utiliser le démarreur standard dans le logement de volant brakesaver pour deux déduisent que l'on est la longueur de logement de démarreur et vous aurez besoin du cachet humide sur le puits de démarreur autrement si brakesaver sort il remplira le démarreur plein d'huile-moteur.

Je l'ai vraiment vu fait auparavant, ce n'est aucun amusement pour en nettoyer le merde.

IIRC i know some brakesaver can get you by suprise., one crictail item I forgot to mention to you is the starter that something you will have to pay attetion this detail you can not use the standard starter in the brakesaver flywheel housing for two reason one is length of starter housing and you will need wet seal on the starter shaft otherwise if brakesaver go out it will fill up the starter full of engine oil.

I did see it done before, it is no fun to clean out the crap out of it.

Merci,Marc

#36 ·
I would just skip the brakesaver and get a Telma system. It goes on the driveshaft and works like a brakesaver but uses electrical power instead of fluid. Or you could switch over to a KT and get a Jake brake.

#37 ·
well heck if wanted to be all high tek i could just get a ISX with a cummins interbrake :weird

Just joshing you but im sort of a purist when it comes to my old trucks. I like them to be MOSTLY Factory with just a few updates here and there.

#38 ·
I would agree most of the time but the brakesaver sounds more like an expensive PITA. Nice thing about a telma is it works well, is pretty simple and you could hide it under the cab so it would be doing it's job without being all that obvious. If they made them, Jakes would be a better answer of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.