The Diesel Garage banner

Really Pissed 6.0 & 6.4 Fuel filter NOT the Same

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  onebadf150 
#1 ·
ok so I just am finishing up my fuel filter change and the filter at the top in the engine compartment is not even close to being the same the 6.0 is tiny compared to the on on the 6.4L. I remember reading back in a post that someone said that the 6.4L and 6.0L fuel filters are the same thats to BS. I friken pissed that I didn't cross reference the filter before I went to install it. So its easter sunday and nothing is open not having a good day. So tomorrow off to the ford dealership to get a new fuel filter. I had an Amsoil fuel filter set for my 6.0L thats what I tried to install in the 6.4L. the bottom filter is the same but top is no where close.

#2 ·
onebadf150 said:
ok so I just am finishing up my fuel filter change and the filter at the top in the engine compartment is not even close to being the same the 6.0 is tiny compared to the on on the 6.4L. I remember reading back in a post that someone said that the 6.4L and 6.0L fuel filters are the same thats to BS. I friken pissed that I didn't cross reference the filter before I went to install it. So its easter sunday and nothing is open not having a good day. So tomorrow off to the ford dealership to get a new fuel filter. I had an Amsoil fuel filter set for my 6.0L thats what I tried to install in the 6.4L. the bottom filter is the same but top is no where close.
Well I guess I have a couple sets of filters to sell then........

It just keeps getting better........:damnit

#6 ·
The diesel supplement in your owners manual details the part number for replacement filters (4609), as well as the procedure to replace it.

There are no special tools required. You follow a key on key off procedure 6 times or so, to purge the air from the filter housing(s). The 6.4 has an air bleed in the filter housing and it will purge the air from the fuel lines as long as the proper procedure is followed. I highly recommend reading the diesel supplement, and or watching the included DVD.

#7 ·
2ksteeda said:
The diesel supplement in your owners manual details the part number for replacement filters (4609), as well as the procedure to replace it.

There are no special tools required. You follow a key on key off procedure 6 times or so, to purge the air from the filter housing(s). The 6.4 has an air bleed in the filter housing and it will purge the air from the fuel lines as long as the proper procedure is followed. I highly recommend reading the diesel supplement, and or watching the included DVD.

the ford part # for both filters in 1 box that I purchased today for the 6.4L was

Part# 8c3z-9n184-a

but 2ksteeda is right you need to prime the system at least 5 times before you start the truck. I had a blond moment today a forgot to do that and the truck didn't want to start so I was like **** called randy and he reminded me amount priming the system before starting no worrys after that.

#8 ·
I feel your pain. Had to help my father-in-law on his 6.4l, the Ford dealer sold him the right part number with the wrong filters in the package. Someone had either switched filters with a 6.0l set or the factory screwed up. Either way the 6.0l filters do not fit the 6.4l filters.

#9 ·
well thats bulsh!t...! the damn oil filters are the same... why would they make tht the same and not the fuel filtewr.?

#10 ·
My guess is the newer injectors need better filtration.

#11 ·
I'm glad after seeing the difference the 6.0L top fuel flter is tiny compared to the 6.4L. I think alot of confusion in the beginning was b/c ford sold the bottom fuel filter separate from the top fuel filter there wasn't 1 specific part # for both so in sense yes the 6.0L and 6.4L bottom fuel filters is the same but not the top. My part guy told me that the fuel filter kit he gave me yesterday was a new thing he never say them packaged together before. so the part# above will take care of both !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.