The Diesel Garage banner

500+ hp 12V??

12K views 55 replies 9 participants last post by  mudguppy 
#1 ·
Whats the recips and appx cost of what it takes to get a 12V a good, reliable 500-550 rwhp? and not get crappy mpgs and all that good stuff?

#3 ·
do WHAT??? i figured it would be like 2-3K...? not including any tranny stuff...

and is there any way to tell the year, miles, etc. if the motor is already pulled? and anything to look for on them to "inspect"..?

#4 · (Edited)
Well the cost is going to depend on the condition of the motor currently. (Any leaks, blowby etc....) But assumming a good running motor.

Pump Tuning (Free) 18* of timing ($labor)
Delivery Valves ( Depending on what P-7100 is on motor) Wont need them on 180 or 215
Injectors: 5x14s are a good choice for a street truck in that hp range $500ish
I would do Oring ($300) and Head studs ($400) Gasket ($150)
Cam ($500ish)
60Lb Valve springs $ not sure off the top of my head
62mm or 64mm turbo ($1200ish)
Fass/Airdog Setup for p-pump
Thats will get you 500-550hp and will still be towable. The Cam/Springs/Headwork is what is going to make it towable and reliable in that setup. That is a basic rundown of what it would take and depending on how much labor you did yourself and if you got deals on the forums and such.

#10 ·
Well the cost is going to depend on the condition of the motor currently. (Any leaks, blowby etc....) But assumming a good running motor.

Pump Tuning (Free) 18* of timing ($labor)
Delivery Valves ( Depending on what P-7100 is on motor) Wont need them on 180 or 215
Injectors: 5x14s are a good choice for a street truck in that hp range $500ish
I would do Oring ($300) and Head studs ($400) Gasket ($150)
Cam ($500ish)
60Lb Valve springs $ not sure off the top of my head
62mm or 64mm turbo ($1200ish)
Fass/Airdog Setup for p-pump
Thats will get you 500-550hp and will still be towable. The Cam/Springs/Headwork is what is going to make it towable and reliable in that setup. That is a basic rundown of what it would take and depending on how much labor you did yourself and if you got deals on the forums and such.
Why do you say that?

Nate

#7 ·
those #s are a little easier to chomp on...LOL thanks dan!

#38 ·
Back on topic. My last truck was over 500hp before i sold it. Only about another $500 and it wouldve been more reliable.

My combo:

20* timing -free
5 x .012" -$300
13" valair kevlar ceramic- $695
Twin Turbos(stocker/ht3b) -$700
4k GSK- $120
Gauges
5" exhaust

That should make anybody feel good about how little it takes if you can fab some stuff up.

Reactions: 6L strokin
#39 ·
Eric's last rig was the king of cheapness :bravo 5x.014 injectors would make it a little easier to get there.

#43 ·
I would have been thinking studs, o-rings, and a head gasket. Maybe a DD clutch.

#47 ·
So how do you plan to run in the mid 12's with a 5 speed and no dual disc clutch?

#48 ·
oh, im getting one for this truck. But that truck, i didnt have any money. Hence why it looked like crap.

Getting everything for this truck that i wish i could for that one.

#53 ·
thanks for all the replies guys! now another question....is there any "easy" way to test it to make sure it runs ok? and whats a good price for it? it did have a manual tranny behind it as well...

#56 ·
"box truck" could also mean an SAE trans adapter and MD tranny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.