The Diesel Garage banner

Team AMSOIL Sets World Water Speed Record

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  NukleusX 
#1 · (Edited)
Friday, December 12, 2008
Team AMSOIL Sets World Water Speed Record
Team AMSOIL #77 made the journey to Salton Sea in the Southern California Desert for the POPRA Salton Sea Speed Week Kilo Event. The event was held December 4-7 and although not a usual destination for driver Paul Whittier and throttle man Bob Teague, The Sea has been host to many races and kilo runs over the decades.
About a dozen teams came out with high hopes that the unique environment would prove to be the ideal setting for squeezing every last drop of speed out of their boats. The combination of below sea level air density, extremely high salinity in the water, cool desert air, and a perfectly undisturbed body of water made the perfect formula for world record-breaking speeds. Unfortunately, the smooth as glass water conditions were not the best for the highest offshore boat speeds. Kevin Cooper, President of POPRA, explained that the setting was also very safe for hosting kilo runs since the only other boats on the water during a participant’s speed run were the rescue boats.

Team AMSOIL’s first run on Saturday proved to be good enough to break the previous world speed record for Cat Lite, which was 126.703 mph. The Team tried various propellers and set-ups throughout the day in attempt to better their speed. On a run towards the end of the day, Team AMSOIL was successful in upping their own speed record. By the end of Saturday, the new speed record stood at 131.319 mph. On Sunday, Team AMSOIL made several more runs and was successful once more at breaking their own speed record. The final official POPRA World Kilo Speed Record was set at 131.981 mph, certified by APBA/UIM. This speed is the best average of the Team’s north to south pass and consecutive south to north pass. The Team made a one-way pass of nearly 133 mph but ran a little slower on the back up run because of a minor deviation on the course angle.

Team AMSOIL Offshore Racing has had a near perfect racing season and can now add POPRA World Speed Record Holder to its list of accomplishments in the Cat Lite category. The Team has earned the 2008 titles of SBI World Champion, Cat Lite High Points Champion in the OPA Racing Circuit, Winner of the Geico Triple Crown, Offshore Super Series National Champion and High Points Champion.

Until then, we'll see you at the races.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Film Crew Follows Teague's Record Setting Weekend

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That is pretty cool!!

#3 ·
Good for them!

too bad the salton sea smells funny....

#4 ·
Did you watch the video I was not aware of this body of water.
Bill

#5 ·
Crows, look at a map of southern CA, the Salton Sea is the body of water about ~100 miles inland.

Didnt watch the video, but have camped near, and driven by the Salton Sea a few times in my day, and yeah, it smells funny. :haha

#6 ·
I guess that is why there were not a lot of folks there?

#7 ·
Could be why. other than that there is a lot more fun stuff to do. just to the west of the salton sea is off roading and camping, then southwest some is some B/A sand dunes :D :D (that i wish i had the money to be hanging out at right now :( )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.