Cummins N-14 Celect over rev - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Heavy, Medium, Work Trucks and Trailers > Heavy Duty

Thread Details Posted by long_road, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 4753 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 AM   #1
long_road

Cummins N-14 Celect over rev

Hello, this is my first post. Great site here. Great info. I hope you guys can help me out... I'm thinking about buying a truck with an N14 Celect 460 in it and have a report from a shop that did some work on this truck.

I wonder if this engine really did over rev (2,630 or more) or if bad wiring or maybe a bad engine speed sensor could make other fault codes appear?

There were 3 broken jake brake screws, loose injectoers etc. found among other things. I will try to paste part of their report in below.

Thanks for any help insights ideas thoughts

REPAIR CAUSE OF ENGINE MISFIRE
CONNECT INSITE DIAGNOSTICS AND PERFORM
A CYLINDER CUT OUT TEST. FOUND #4
INJECTOR FAILED. REMOVE VALVE COVER
AND ENGINE BRAKE ON CENTER CYLINDER HEAD. CHECK INJECTOR AND VALVE
ADJUSTMENTS, INJECTOR IS LOOSE.
RESET INJECTOR ADJUSTMENT AND OPERATE
ENGINE, MISFIRE REMAINED. REMOVE
INJECTOR, INSTALL AND ADJUST A RECON INJECTOR.

REMOVE REMAINING VALVE COVERS AND
ADJUST ALL VALVES,
INJECTORS, AND ENGINE BRAKES. INSPECT
INJECTOR SETTINGS PRIOR TO ADJUSTING,
FOUND ALL INJECTORS LOOSE. CLEAN ALL ITEMS REMOVED AND ASSEMBLE WITH NEW
GASKETS AS REQUIRED.

INSPECT ENGINE BRAKE, LASH ADJUSTING SCREWS DURING OVERHEAD SET. FOUND THREE
SCREWS CRACKED. REPLACED DAMAGED SCREWS
WITH NEW.

INSPECT ENGINE BRAKES NOT TURNING
OFF.
CHECK ENGINE FOR FAULT CODES.
INACTIVE FAULT CODES 243, 234 AND 121
ARE PRESENT.
- CODE 243 INDICATES HIGH CURRENT DRAW
IN THE ENGINE BRAKE SOLENOID CIRCUIT.
CONDITION COULD NOT BE DUPLICATED IN
SHOP.

INSPECT WIRING FOR SHORT
CIRCUIT AND POSSIBLE LOOSE CONNECTIONS,
WIRING OK. CHECKED RESISTANCE OF ENGINE
BRAKE SOLENOIDS, RESISTANCE OK.

- CODE 234 INDICATES ENGINE OVERSPEED
EVENT WHERE ENGINE EXCEEDS 2630 RPM.

TROUBLESHOOT PER CUMMINS PROCEDURES.
FOUND 10-AMP GROUND FUSE IN ENGINE
HARNESS BLOWN. BLOWN FUSE TYPICALLY
CAUSED BY POOR GROUNDS.

CLEAN ALL BATTERY CABLES, CHECK ENGINE GROUND,
AND INSTALL AN ADDITIONAL GROUND CABLE
FROM STARTER TO CAB.

DURING REPAIR, FOUND GROUND POST ON
TIGHTEN. REMOVE STARTER AND SENT OUT FOR
REPAIR TO GROUND POST ONLY.

- CODE 121 INDICATES PROBLEM WITH ENGINE
SPEED SENSOR. LAST OCCURRENCE OF THIS
EVENT IS APPROXIMATELY 70 HRS AGO.
SENSOR APPEARS TO HAVE RECENTLY BEEN
REPLACED, NO ACTION TAKEN.
- CLEAR ALL INACTIVE FAULT CODES.

Last edited by long_road; 09-09-2010 at 04:23 AM.
long_road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
mrdevildog

looks to me like what they did sounds really good, i always check the adjustment on a misfiring injector before i replace it just for that reason, most shops wouldnt have went any furthur with inactive faults but they did. it sounds good on paper but i would test drive the truck and see how it runs, if the engine speed sensor was faulty it could have siad it was over reving but i have seen over rev engine do wierd things.
mrdevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
Johnp3

When testing an injector for a misfire on an N14, I have taken off the wiring off an old injector core and plug it into the external harness and measure the resistance. If it is open, then I remove the pass threw connector, and using a pick hold the connector off the injector and remove the pass threw, and measure the resistance at the injector if it is 5 ohms then the pass threw connector is the problem. always replace the "O" ring.
Over speeding on the Jake's is not a problem if he only went to 2630. 3650 is OK 3670 bends push tubes. Any time I remove the rocker arms I remove the push tubes, and roll them on a small drawer on my tool box, I look down and see if I can see copper sticking out of the cam box roller pins, that means the pin is broken.
The Jake lash eliminators I tap them on a piece of paper till they are empty of oil and if they are cracked it will show up as a line out from the center, and I always set the Jake's with a dial indicator. Just a thought!
1988 ford van fresh overhaul, 1991 nissan pick-up 1993 Caprice 2000 GMC S10 Blaser 2007 nbs 3500 GMC 4x4 crew-cab long box 17 inch single wheels Duramax Alison. BW turnover Ball. Furakawa FL35 loader. Retired, HD mechanic, worked on engines all my life. Fabricator welder. electrician. in the process of finishing my new shop. Live in Rock Creek B.C. Wife has a fruit stand.
Johnp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
long_road
Threadstarter

Thanks for the replies...

I'm afraid I can't trust this engine, the over rev and the broken jake screws have me pretty worried about what else may have been stressed/ damaged.

Would over reving cause the loose injectors ? Would the ECM show more than 2630 if it was spun faster? Or is 2630 the most the ECM will report ?

I think there was some bad blood between the P.O. and the shop and the P.O. was trying to blow this engine up....

I really like the truck, but if the engine is a "maybe" I think it's best to keep shopping around some more.
long_road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Johnp3

The weakest point in any Cummins is the injector tubes corroding from DCA or improper coolant, I do not remember ever having loose injectors, in a Cummins or the damage that might result. You might want to suggest the heads be pulled and all the tubes be replaced, before you purchase it or keep looking.
1988 ford van fresh overhaul, 1991 nissan pick-up 1993 Caprice 2000 GMC S10 Blaser 2007 nbs 3500 GMC 4x4 crew-cab long box 17 inch single wheels Duramax Alison. BW turnover Ball. Furakawa FL35 loader. Retired, HD mechanic, worked on engines all my life. Fabricator welder. electrician. in the process of finishing my new shop. Live in Rock Creek B.C. Wife has a fruit stand.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
Johnp3

The ECM will register the maximum RPM on every code and give you the parameters on the snap shot about it, you might want them to give you the printout with that information. I did a lot of work on N14's and they regularly took them a lot higher than that. If the unit has bent push tubes it will have a different sound like it is under water wobbling tone, hard to describe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement