Rotella T6 5W-40 synthetic oil - Page 4 - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Dodge Diesel & Truck Discussion > 5.9L Cummins (2003-2007.5)

Thread Details Posted by ALSEMAN, this thread has received 41 replies and been viewed 21784 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #31
merlin5577
Gone Fishin...

Send a message via AIM to merlin5577 Send a message via Yahoo to merlin5577

My Fleet;

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 2.0L 6A
2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT 2.4L 6A
2003 Chevrolet Silverado LS 6.6L 5A
1997 GMC Suburban SLT 5.7L 4A

TDG MAFIA
Quote:
If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.
Thinking of buying a Duramax? You need to click this link;

Reading material

I am an old Fart;

Toot-Toot

merlin5577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #32
Nadir

Seriously, Dude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowaholic View Post
So what do you think Base Stock is?
Uh, maybe something like...
Quote:
...fractional distilled oil (FDO)
You know the stuff you...
Quote:
...handle shipments of ...to many Lube manufactures.
Quote:
Second party Manufactures even make most of the lubrication products that Shell, Mobil and other Oil conglomerates offer to the end consumer…
Which is pretty what I said in this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
Amsoil gets it's basestock and add packs from the same sources XOM, Shell and every other vendor does.
So either you have a pretty serious reading comprehension problem or you are just a complete 'tard. I'm not sure which yet.
Nadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #33
Snowaholic
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner

Nadir,

Your my buddy now!! You just proved everything your griping about to be the same for the majority of all lube products out there.. Thank You for backing me up with your confirmation..

Man I love people that can't argue with facts and try in vein to still maintain some sense of pride..
merlin5577 (02-17-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #34
D-Man

Quote:
Nadir,

Your my buddy now!! You just proved everything your griping about to be the same for the majority of all lube products out there.. Thank You for backing me up with your confirmation..

Man I love people that can't argue with facts and try in vein to still maintain some sense of pride..
HUh? So you and Nadir agree that all this syn is the same but yet you are knocking him for proving you right. I must have missed something in this post.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #35
Snowaholic
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner

D-Man,
No problem.. Reread with an open mind to the manufacture of all lubrication products. It doesn’t matter who produces the product they all receive FDO and add their own (in some cases proprietary) chemical additives and developed their own amalgamation methods.

In other words whether it is Rotella, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobile 1 or whatever; pick your poison. They all get it in the same structure. Now what they formulate via chemical makeup is what they use to try and separate themselves from each other; whether it is Dino, Blend or Synthetic end product.

BTW: I'm not knocking him in my last Post I'm thanking him.. and no all Synthetic nor Belnd nor Dino is completely the same, unless repackaged under a different name. i.e . WIX makes all of Napa's fitlers and Napa proudly says so.....
Old 02-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #36
jdemaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn-Herb View Post
Amsoil was the First Synthetic(TM) API-rated oil developed for automotive use. The "big oil" companies scoffed at the very idea! .
Does Ammsoil even sell true synthetic oil any more? That's not rhetorical, I just do not know for sure. I DO know some of their oil, sold as "synthetic", is not and is just tier III petro oil (e.g. Ammsoil XL-7500). In Europe, it is illegal to label tier III oil as "synthtetic" but IS allowed in the USA.

As I recall, Ammsoil was started by a military guy, marketing military-grade jet-engine true synthetic oil to the public after WWII ended. At that time, the USA military involvement in that oil was mainly due to it's high flash point and a stabil viscosity at extreme cold temps. Mobil 1 came out just a few years after Ammsoil started selling their's with the API rating.

That original military-grade true synthetic oil had a flash point of 500 degrees F. Most Ammsoil sold now as "synthetic" for highway vehicles has a flash point around 432-450 degrees F. It is obviously not the same as it was originally. I'm not even sure how much is really synthetic (tier IV and V), or make-believe synthetic (tier III).

Note that Shell Rotella T standard petro-oil in single-grade often has a higher flash point than Ammsoil "Synthetic."

Shell Rotella T 30W is 450F, 40W is 460F, 50W is 465F
Valvoline true-synthetic 20W-50 racing oil has a flash point of 500 F.

Note that I am not trashing Ammsoil in particular. But in my opinion, anybody that sells a tier III oil and labels it as a "full synthetic" is scamming people, regardless of doing so being legal in the USA. Many companies do it.
jdemaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #37
Nadir

This is the key point:

Quote:
They all get it in the same structure. Now what they formulate via chemical makeup is what they use to try and separate themselves from each other; whether it is Dino, Blend or Synthetic end product.
And that is where the Scamsoil model falls flat to anyone who cares to look into it. They all mix the same things in slightly different ways or using slightly different adds - all from the same sources. The only difference possibly seen is from laboratory chemical or spectrometer analysis. These differences have no measurable impact on engine performance. They can't - it would be too obvious, not to mention API specifications, yada, yada. But the salesmen will have you believe otherwise.

At the end of the day there are only two factors any rational consumer can consider: Brand loyalty and/or price. If you want to be Amsoil brand loyal at a higher price, by all means - go for it!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #38
merlin5577
Gone Fishin...

Send a message via AIM to merlin5577 Send a message via Yahoo to merlin5577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn-Herb View Post
I love when people say Amsoils a scheme:

The notion that Amsoil is not a legitimate Product or Opportunity is perpetuated by the ignorance of those who can not be bothered to educate themselves on the subject of Synthetic Lubricants. Amsoil was the First Synthetic(TM) API-rated oil developed for automotive use. The "big oil" companies scoffed at the very idea! Big Oil Manufacturers would like you to believe that Amsoil is a "BAD" Pyramid scheme. I will leave it up to you to figure the why? of that one. The fact is that they were about 40 years late to the party and Amsoil is a real threat to "Big Oil" profits.
I've said it before, and i'll say it again, if its not API certified, dont put it in anything you care about. Amsoil makes hundreds of products and only 7 are API certified. Of those, none are their 'extended drain' products. I wonder why...

My Fleet;

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 2.0L 6A
2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT 2.4L 6A
2003 Chevrolet Silverado LS 6.6L 5A
1997 GMC Suburban SLT 5.7L 4A

TDG MAFIA
Quote:
If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.
Thinking of buying a Duramax? You need to click this link;

Reading material

I am an old Fart;

Toot-Toot

merlin5577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:49 AM   #39
Snowaholic
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner

Quote:
And that is where the Scamsoil model falls flat to anyone who cares to look into it. They all mix the same things in slightly different ways or using slightly different adds - all from the same sources. The only difference possibly seen is from laboratory chemical or spectrometer analysis. These differences have no measurable impact on engine performance. They can't - it would be too obvious, not to mention API specifications, yada, yada. But the salesmen will have you believe otherwise.

At the end of the day there are only two factors any rational consumer can consider: Brand loyalty and/or price. If you want to be Amsoil brand loyal at a higher price, by all means - go for it!
Buddy,
I’m not loyal to any brand nor accept any sponsorships.. Anyway with your quote above it can be assimilated to any product on the shelves or otherwise. However some chemicals and some processes require more capital which in turn produces a more costly product, to which the average public will not purchase.

This production cycle can be seen in many different aspects of consumerism. We can even look at it in another industry that I am involved in; Alcoholic products such as the difference in Fine Scotch vs. Rail Scotch, Cask Whiskey vs. Rail Whiskey, or even Fine LR Wine vs. Table Wine..

If your point is I can afford to buy whatever I want, then Yes you are right; however, if your point is an expensive Lube is the same as a cheap lube then NO you are wrong. Same goes for Whiskey

Other than that, this “Tard” is done. You are more than welcome to have the last word; I just hope this time your word has some validity to it.
merlin5577 (02-18-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #40
Nadir

Fail

Once again, you fail the reading comprehension test:
Quote:
There's no measurable performance difference between any vendor's product within the same grade/class of product.
Quote:
however, if your point is an expensive Lube is the same as a cheap lube then NO you are wrong.
BTW, I am not your "buddy." And comparing oil to whiskey is a pretty lame analogy. Like I said, the difference between oils in the same category is almost undetectable. differences between scotches in the same price category can be enormous, at least as far as taste is concerned.

Last edited by Nadir; 02-18-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement