1999 DT466E keeps dying - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Heavy, Medium, Work Trucks and Trailers > Medium Duty

Thread Details Posted by tclark2020, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 8760 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
tclark2020

1999 DT466E keeps dying

I have a 1999 IH DT466E that will not stay running. It will start right up and then run from anywhere from 30 secs. to several minutes. It then dies, but will start back up and do the same thing. I have replaced the fuel filter on the drivers side, and the high pressure oil pump is also new last fall. This is somewhat intermittent as I was able to drive it home 35 miles with no problem after it initially began dying. If I feather the throttle I can keep it running, but of course not efficiently enough to drive it. When it dies it shuts down quickly. I have went through the wiring and feel confident it is probably a fuel related issue and not electrical, although I am not real knowledgeable with diesels. My only other thought is the ECM? mounted on the drivers side of the engine above the high pressure oil pump. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me.
tclark2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
John_G
Super Moderator

The symptoms you describe could be caused by a number of things such as:

1) Low fuel pressure from a plugged strainer, weak fuel pump or pressure regulator
2) Bad cam sensor
3) Sucking air into the fuel system
4) Sensor that reads out of spec

There is a lot of testing involved to determine which of those things is involved, if any. If it were me, I would remove the strainer and clean it, replace the cam sensor and then pray that it's fixed.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
John_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:59 AM   #3
bigbomar

I got two more possible causes.

1. Losing power or ground to the ECM (probably power)
2. Bad connection at the IPR

Some simple diag that you can do.
1. Check the strainer to make sure that it is not plugged.
2. Check all of you "clean power and ground" connections to the ECM. The will be one each in the battery box then another two or three wire connector near the starter. If they are corroded / loose / burnt fix them and you have fixed the problem. (the connections may have already been cut out and hard wired in this old of a truck)
3. Check the connection at the IPR. It is a valve on the hpop with a wire clip on it.
4. The only two sensors that will shut this engine down are the injection control pressure sensor and the cam sensor. To see if the ICP sensor is bad unplug it and run the engine. It will turn on the engine light but don't worry about that. If it stays running replace the sensor. If its the cam sensor you need to go to a shop or buddy that can get codes. I would expect to see codes 143, 144, 145, or 332. If you have any of these faults go ahead and replace the sensor. Its about 150.00

These are all just basic steps it will not completely rule any of these things out but its a start.
bigbomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:46 AM   #4
John_G
Super Moderator

While both of those electrical problems can cause the reported symptoms, they almost never cause them except during starting, when the electrical load is the greatest. But, I have seen intermittant operation caused by bad wiring in an IPR valve where the coil wire was not properly crimped to the terminal. The truck would run perfectly, until you touched the IPR connector, then it died immediately.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
John_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:32 AM   #5
bigbomar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_G View Post
While both of those electrical problems can cause the reported symptoms, they almost never cause them except during starting, when the electrical load is the greatest. But, I have seen intermittant operation caused by bad wiring in an IPR valve where the coil wire was not properly crimped to the terminal. The truck would run perfectly, until you touched the IPR connector, then it died immediately.
The key word there is almost. I have had several with this problem that had no problem starting. Start the truck and start pulling on the wiring.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
tclark2020
Threadstarter

In between the wonderful weather here in Iowa I am checking all of your suggestions. Started it yesterday and it ran for about twenty minutes and then died. Started right back up and ran fine. I will go over everything twice to make sure I don't miss something and keep you posted. Thanks for all the help so far. I have worked on gas engines all my life, but not diesel, so this is quite frustrating to me. My tree work is starting to back up!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
tclark2020
Threadstarter

Check the connection at the IPR. It is a valve on the hpop with a wire clip on it.
To see if the ICP sensor is bad unplug it and run the engine.

Can you tell me where these two are located? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
bigbomar

On the left side of the engine mounted on the back side of the front cover is the high pressure oil pump. Its also right above the air compressor( if equipped) or ps pump. On the hpop there is a valve near the bottom of it. It will have two wires going to it and the connector is held in with a wire clip. The ICP sensor is a three wire sensor located on the fuel/hp oil rail on the left side of the head. Its just about in the center of the rail just to the right of the hose from the hpop.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
RWS31

Bad cam sensor or the positive wire (battery feed) on the key switch is burnt and loosing connection. Would be my first guess.
385/65/22.5 Goodyears on 22.5X12.25 Alcoas
Custom bed in the works
RWS31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:45 AM   #10
Greyhorse

Does it show any codes? You should be able to check without any tools, at least on mine there is a diagnostic button that you push and you just count the flashes in the instrument panel for the code/codes. That said, it hasn't always helped.

2000 F350
Greyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement