Jake brake prob?? Detroit 12.7 - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Heavy, Medium, Work Trucks and Trailers > Heavy Duty

Thread Details Posted by carco21, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 3490 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
carco21

Jake brake prob?? Detroit 12.7

I just bought a tow truck 99 Pete 377 w/12.7DD. Installed a new inj-jake harness under the cover out the rear of engine to ECM. Drove 240 miles no issues then it started again.
The problem is,,, it seems the jakes come on when trying to accel. No codes pointing to jakes, just a ground speed code, ecm memory battery code. The engine in low gears 1-8 will reach 1700rpm and loose all power no pull loaded or empty, re-shift up to next gear and pulls again up to 1700rpm then engine sounds like it "blubbers" and no pull. Gears 9 and 10 pull ok but @ reduced power and no miss. Chk engine light comes on and power seems reduce. codes for ecm memory and ground speed.
Had one person tell me inj harness rubbed through so replaced. One person said jakes need a cleaning, they come on by themselves?? Trying to fix this before I have to spend big money.
I do not have factory software for a DD, just IHC, Cummins, Allison and the ABS companies. Do have a Modis but it is limited. We just do not see Detroits but now I own one!
Thanks for the help!!
carco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #2
theakerstwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by carco21 View Post
I just bought a tow truck 99 Pete 377 w/12.7DD. Installed a new inj-jake harness under the cover out the rear of engine to ECM. Drove 240 miles no issues then it started again.
The problem is,,, it seems the jakes come on when trying to accel. No codes pointing to jakes, just a ground speed code, ecm memory battery code. The engine in low gears 1-8 will reach 1700rpm and loose all power no pull loaded or empty, re-shift up to next gear and pulls again up to 1700rpm then engine sounds like it "blubbers" and no pull. Gears 9 and 10 pull ok but @ reduced power and no miss. Chk engine light comes on and power seems reduce. codes for ecm memory and ground speed.
Had one person tell me inj harness rubbed through so replaced. One person said jakes need a cleaning, they come on by themselves?? Trying to fix this before I have to spend big money.
I do not have factory software for a DD, just IHC, Cummins, Allison and the ABS companies. Do have a Modis but it is limited. We just do not see Detroits but now I own one!
Thanks for the help!!
That would be a DDEC4 and if it loosing its memory in most cases the ecm will have to be replaced.If your going to work on it your self you have to have way to read it. The VSS sounds to be bad also limiting the speed of the engine or derating.To check the jakes to see if they are coming on just unplug the harness of two wires at the plug behind or above the starter going into the injector harness. The run it down the road.And by it loosing its memory the codes may not be able to be read also.
theakerstwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
carco21
Threadstarter

As I understand per a Detroit tech the memory will affect pulling mpg, sudden braking, accident info, but codes will be unaffected and that there are a lot of ecm's w/ dead memory batteries. Memory batts are of no issue unless the company wants certain info for their records or driver verifications.

Yes I am going to try unplugging the harness to the jakes but believe it may be a mechanical problem in the jakes.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
tc2

losing the vehicle speed input will cause the engine to limit the rpm depending on the ECM settings.

Check the vehicle speed sensor at the back of the transmission with a multimeter and compare the resistance of the windings to a known good sensor.
Also check for too much play at the driveshft yoke coming out of the transmission.

There is no battery inside the ECM. All of the ECM info is stored in either Flash memory or Non-Volatile Ram.

Please post the Flash code number so we can have an accurate idea of what you're dealing with. If it's flash code 53, I probably wouldn't worry about it too much.
If the code pertains to the ECM battery supply though, that could definitely cause a problem. If you lose battery power going to the ECM, the injectors may not actuate properly, etc. i.e. if you lose one of the battery suppliesncompletely, you would lose 3 injectors which would make for a pretty good miss.

It is unlikely to be a jake problem, but you never know I suppose.
What are the odds that the jakes would fail only above 1700 rpm?
tc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:36 AM   #5
carco21
Threadstarter

Unhooked the jake connector near starter and towed a motor home, about 4 hours work, no problems. However the tach gets jumpier/more erratic as the truck runs longer. Set chk engine light immediately upon start-up w/jakes unhooked. Cruise & fast idle still worked,,, when the problem starts the cruise/idle up quit.
Will pull codes tomorrow and look for old codes on shop order.
Thank you!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:09 AM   #6
carco21
Threadstarter

flash codes today after clearing several days ago.
red 31 and 46 and yellow 25
Old 07-24-2011, 02:02 AM   #7
theakerstwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by carco21 View Post
flash codes today after clearing several days ago.
red 31 and 46 and yellow 25
46 is ECM battery voltage low
25 is no code
31 is aux out put fault.
The code 46 means the ecm see low voltage from the battery.
Need to check all connection to the ecm power suppy for good pos and neg supply.
This whill shut the engine down.
theakerstwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
carco21
Threadstarter

OK! Cleaned and checked grounds and B+ connections, replaced a couple sensors, VSS, cam and crank sensors and inj/jake harness still a couple codes and strange idle @ times,, rough.
But engine would run ok.

Bought a good core ECM from a guy whose wrecked 2000 W/DDA Series 60, I towed to another shop. Sent it out to reprogram to my VIN + uprated to 600hp/1750torque and moved torque peak to 1300 rpm,,,,, WOW pulls good, less shifting on long grades and less rpm loss when shifted under heavy load, much more comfortable to drive! I try to drive light footed so as to achieve better mileage. Actually think mileage has improved slightly, 1/4 to 1/2mpg, will know more accurately after IFTA calculations next month. Been about 2 months and no more codes, or strange idling or anything.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #9
boosdad

Hi carco21. Sounds like you got her runnin good. Can you tell me where you got your ECM programmed? I've got a DDIII that I would like to get a little more out of. Thanks.
Jon
boosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
carco21
Threadstarter

boosdad, I will try to do that in next day or two,,, need to go to shop and look it up!
The guy was very helpful and friendly.
The Following User Says Thank You to carco21 For this addition to TDG:
boosdad (03-28-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement