lets end the egr delete/low boost issue once and for all! - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Ford Diesel & Truck Discussions > 2003-2007 6.0L Power Stroke

Thread Details Posted by mygt8a4re, this thread has received 49 replies and been viewed 19707 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
mygt8a4re
Boost Junkie

Send a message via AIM to mygt8a4re
lets end the egr delete/low boost issue once and for all!

Ok, Ive done the research, Ive heard a few "theories" & have checked for leaks...Im sorry I cannot buy into "the boost is supposed to be lower after EGR delete" as I personally know & have researched several dozen cases where the boost did NOT change after the EGR delete. You just cant argue with that! Now to be perfectly honest I have not pressure or smoke tested for leaks as I dont have the tools or knowledge to do this properly. This is a move I am willing to do and plan to do in the very near future. I can say there are no signs of carbon anywhere around the ehaust side connections & that I personally pulled and inspected every boot after the turbo.
A note to think about: on the factory turbo, in almost all cases the boost reads 27-28 psi of boost. Everyone who is complaining about "low boost after EGR delete" is reporting 20-21 psi of boost. Is it possible we all have the same exact leak? dont you think that at a 6-7 psi loss of boost somewhere you would here the leak? Are we ALL deaf to the leak sound..I doubt it...so what is the problem? What procedure is skipped or missed that causes the same exact loss of boost on dozens of 6.0l's after the teardown of the topend? I cant believe that somone has had this problem, fixed it and not reported the fix somewhere! I also cant believe that almost all with this problem just say "oh well" and ignore it.....Im hoping we can put our heads together and finally put an end to this irritating senario!
Mods: ARP head studs, Black onyx HG's, 4" turbo back exh w/ 6" tip, AFE Magnumforce ProDryS, RCD EGR delete, SCT Innovative tunes, Edge Insight w/ EGT probe, CCV mod, Dfuser coolant filter, Amsoil framerail oil filter, GoGo Diesel DD mod solenoid, Springtech drop shackles, Recon smoked cab lights, Recon smoked fender lights, Recon light bar, Smoked tail lights & 3rd brake light, DeVries custom emblems, CAP 7pc billet grille, Archoil AR9100 & AR6200 addatives.
Ford updates: STC HPOP fitting, Blue FPR spring kit, turbo feed & drain tubes, oil cooler, Standpipes & dummy plugs.

I wouldnt have to manage my anger if you would just manage your stupidity!
mygt8a4re is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
harry6.0

I'll try to explain as best I can. After an egr delete, you no longer are diluting your intake and cylinders with an inert gas...inert gas is a gas thats depleted of oxygen...just like exhaust gasses are. You now have just pure boosted air filling the intake and cylinders, without any exhaust gasses as a filler being mixed in. Therefore you don't need as much boost pressure to make the same power or even more power. You can however achieve high boost levels again with high performance custom tuning, but also need the fuel delivery to match it. My Powermax turbo with it's current tuning only has around 22-24psi, but is capable of more power than my stock turbo did with 32lbs of boost. I can also have 35+lbs of boost out of my Powermax with a different tune loaded. You should have plenty of power at 20-22 psi with an egr delete and the right tuning.

Harry
Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/T5-Rotella 10w30 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)http://www.archoilspokane.com/
harry6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harry6.0 For this addition to TDG:
blowby1 (01-26-2012), mygt8a4re (01-26-2012), raceyf7 (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
blowby1

Perfect explanation Harry.
No inert gas = more room for air from compressor
More room= less psi at given range of compressor.
Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd /SCT-Tuned by KEM-Performance/Blue spring mod/Coolant bypass filter/Edge CTS/4"exhaust/2.5" lift/Greasable ball joints/Amsoil 5w40 syn/Archoil AR9100 Oil additive/ AR6200 Fuel additive
blowby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blowby1 For this addition to TDG:
mygt8a4re (01-26-2012), raceyf7 (01-26-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
raceyf7

Hi,long time browser 1st time poster.Will boost pressure go higher than 20 when towing #8000 up a grade,or is 20 all you will get? thanks
raceyf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
mygt8a4re
Boost Junkie
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry6.0 View Post
I'll try to explain as best I can. After an egr delete, you no longer are diluting your intake and cylinders with an inert gas...inert gas is a gas thats depleted of oxygen...just like exhaust gasses are. You now have just pure boosted air filling the intake and cylinders, without any exhaust gasses as a filler being mixed in. Therefore you don't need as much boost pressure to make the same power or even more power. You can however achieve high boost levels again with high performance custom tuning, but also need the fuel delivery to match it. My Powermax turbo with it's current tuning only has around 22-24psi, but is capable of more power than my stock turbo did with 32lbs of boost. I can also have 35+lbs of boost out of my Powermax with a different tune loaded. You should have plenty of power at 20-22 psi with an egr delete and the right tuning.

Harry
Hey Harry, as always I greatly appreciate your input! I have run across your explained theory while researching this in other threads on this situation but just have trouble justifying it as too many others were posting same boost pressures pre and post EGR deletion. Would the aftermarket up pipe as opposed to the factory welded/blocked up pipe have any realtion in how the boost is effected? If I just havent heard numerous claims to having the same boost pressure after deletion I would accept the fact that your explanation is exactly why Im seeing lower boost.....

Thank you greatly for chiming in an helping me get a better grip on exactly whats going on here!
Mods: ARP head studs, Black onyx HG's, 4" turbo back exh w/ 6" tip, AFE Magnumforce ProDryS, RCD EGR delete, SCT Innovative tunes, Edge Insight w/ EGT probe, CCV mod, Dfuser coolant filter, Amsoil framerail oil filter, GoGo Diesel DD mod solenoid, Springtech drop shackles, Recon smoked cab lights, Recon smoked fender lights, Recon light bar, Smoked tail lights & 3rd brake light, DeVries custom emblems, CAP 7pc billet grille, Archoil AR9100 & AR6200 addatives.
Ford updates: STC HPOP fitting, Blue FPR spring kit, turbo feed & drain tubes, oil cooler, Standpipes & dummy plugs.

Last edited by mygt8a4re; 01-26-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
mygt8a4re
Boost Junkie
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowby1 View Post
Perfect explanation Harry.
No inert gas = more room for air from compressor
More room= less psi at given range of compressor.
I totally understand this theory as I have proven it in the past on previous force inducted vehicles ive owned. I know that installing a larger intercooler & larger intercooler piping resulted in lower boost but were talking a couple psi, not 6-7 psi. that would have to be a really large volume of area to reduce this much boost, much larger than the aftermarket parts I have installed in the past....mabey Im just not seeing the big picture yet as Im so set on finding a different, unheard of explanation that just makes me say "of course, thats why!"

Last edited by mygt8a4re; 01-26-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
raceyf7

could it possibly be that when we do a egr delete with a new up pipe that there is not enough exhaust back pressure ? there is a exhaust back pressure sensor that controls the vgt and egr sys? just a thought.http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h...Components.jpg
Old 01-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #8
mygt8a4re
Boost Junkie
Threadstarter

Ok after letting the above comments sink in alittle better I wanted to ask again in a better way my intial question after the above theory was posted:
If the elimination of inert gasses in the intake result in 6-7 psi of boost loss why isnt everyone seeing this loss after an EGR delete? If the boost numbers on the stock turbos in question, after EGR delete were scattered results then it would be easier to accept as there would be too many variables to justify boost numbers all over the place. But were talking 27psi (+/- 1psi) before & 21psi (+/- 1psi) after reported by dozens of 6.0l owners. Then were talking 27psi (+/- 1psi) before & the same (27psi +/-) after also reported by dozens of 6.0l owners. Basically its one or the other and that is where I need the explanation.....

Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
mygt8a4re
Boost Junkie
Threadstarter

Raceyf7, you and another member of another forum are bringing up the same exact points and it is really starting to make sense. almost as how inducing the size of your intake (less/no exhaust/inert gas) would lower your boost....inducing the ehaust to the turbo would lessen the exhaust pressure between the exh manifold and turbo.....I hope somone chimes in to elaborate on this!

Old 01-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #10
raceyf7

i just installed my egr delete and also lost 6-7 psi of boost. i too am looking to get it back.might have to reinstall the stock up pipe with a block off plate to get back pressure back up.maybe someone can help us out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement