4300 hard start with alot of black smoke - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Heavy, Medium, Work Trucks and Trailers > Medium Duty

Thread Details Posted by patricks, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 2925 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
patricks
carltonG

4300 hard start with alot of black smoke

I,ve got a 2006 4300 with a dt466 EGR Engine.When I try to start it it just spins over a long time and some time I have to use starting fluid.And when it does start it has a very large amount of black smoke with a very bad idle,I have done a complete service,also scan for DTC,sfound code 346 (EGR)so I removed EGR and clean it also I remove the EBP sensor and clean sensor and tube,It ran perfect for a little while. Then I road tested it for 15 miles and foung code 354 (VGT under cycle)I check for bad wires ECT...and clear all codes ran KOEO standard test and the AMS test plus the VGT hight to low test all pass but now its doing the same thing this time no Engine light is on.Has any one ever came across this before? if so PLEASE help I am very Greatfull for any help in this matter
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
BobWolf

Find somone with the dimond logic laptop unless you have it sounds like you might have a bad cam/crank sensor or injector take exhaust temps along the exhaust manifold when cold and idling with an infrared thermometer untill the engine warms up the cold cylinder is the one not fueling. Keep in mind you have a wire harness undre the valve cover for the injectors, that can short out and the injector wont fuel that cylinder. Simple as this sounds try changing the fuel filter if you havent already and clean the rock catcher a pre filter just behind the filter lotsa crap can get in it clean the bowl and screen with brake cleaner and check the check ball on top of the rock catcher looks like a big philips head. Oh yeah, check your O rings allong your fuel system both suply and return the 466 E istempermental abbout having its diet shorted.

Good luck
Bob Wolf

Last edited by BobWolf; 06-20-2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
BobWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BobWolf For this addition to TDG:
patricks (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
patricks
carltonG
Threadstarter

I have replaced the cam and crank sensors,fuel filter,I have great fuel pressure I clean the strainer and the check valve..I did see the ICP go up and down every time it began to smoke,Do you think it could the IPR or ICP sensors I do have dimond logic it passes all KOEO test and when I run "hard start/no start"everything looks to be spot on????????
Old 06-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
BobWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricks View Post
I have replaced the cam and crank sensors,fuel filter,I have great fuel pressure I clean the strainer and the check valve..I did see the ICP go up and down every time it began to smoke,Do you think it could the IPR or ICP sensors I do have dimond logic it passes all KOEO test and when I run "hard start/no start"everything looks to be spot on????????
Did you take exhaust manifold temps or injector buzz test? You might have a dead stick they may or may not throw a code. I had a dead injector and no code. Could also be a sensor if you can find out how to bench test them its always more accurate.

Good luck let me know how you make out
Old 06-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
BobWolf

Im not an electronics guy when it comes to diesels.
The Following User Says Thank You to BobWolf For this addition to TDG:
patricks (07-01-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
dbennett48
Old Fart

The easiest way to check for a dead injector is to start up your truck and read the temps of the exhaust manifold with an infra-red thermometer. Dead cylinder will read well below the rest.

2004 Ford F-350 Regular cab with 6.0.
Completely Stock.
dbennett48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
patricks
carltonG
Threadstarter

Heres an up date on my problem.I have changed all filters oil,fuel and air I clean the strainer and the check valve inside of the fuel filter housing.I have replaced the cam and crank sensor...I then took it on a road test and made it 10 miles and then had to call a wrecker to bring it back....This time when I run dimond logic I seen my icp goes up and down when it goes down it starts to smoke and lose power,So I replaced the ICP sensor and the IPR valce plus the o-rings in the oil rail I did check each injector with a temp gun and all injectors are at (+/-) the same temp also ran "Injector cut out"After all the sensors and test iv done do any of yall think it could be my HPOP if so how is a good way I can test/check my pump???Still no power and very hadr to start and lots of smoke???thanks for all of yalls help
Old 07-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
BobWolf

Did you try chasing the wire harnes both hot and neutral from the battery to the ECM and starter I was told from a tech I know that the harnesses tend to wear and corrode even if your not in the salt belt. I had a simular problem

Bob Wolf
Wolf Trucking.

Last edited by BobWolf; 07-02-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
Lilrhodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricks View Post
Heres an up date on my problem.I have changed all filters oil,fuel and air I clean the strainer and the check valve inside of the fuel filter housing.I have replaced the cam and crank sensor...I then took it on a road test and made it 10 miles and then had to call a wrecker to bring it back....This time when I run dimond logic I seen my icp goes up and down when it goes down it starts to smoke and lose power,So I replaced the ICP sensor and the IPR valce plus the o-rings in the oil rail I did check each injector with a temp gun and all injectors are at (+/-) the same temp also ran "Injector cut out"After all the sensors and test iv done do any of yall think it could be my HPOP if so how is a good way I can test/check my pump???Still no power and very hadr to start and lots of smoke???thanks for all of yalls help

Did the laptop show the oil pump having enough pressure? In my first post this is what happen to mine after needing a D.O.T inspection and ending up needing a high pressure oil pump the 3rd pump later it runs good not as strong and i can smell exhaust
Lilrhodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
John_G
Super Moderator

So, of the parts that have been replaced, none have fixed it? That tells me we are spending $$$$ on labor and parts w/o diagnosing the problem.

ALL engines need a few things to start and run:
1) Clean air and free flowing of that air
2) Compression
3) Fuel (pressure)
4) Ignition (compression and tcorrect iming on a diesel)
5) Exhaust flow
6) Functioning electronics: be that a distributor, coil, or ECM

IMO, nothing has been tested and there are specifications for everything from MAP to EFP and ICP. Unless you know what you have relative to what you need, it will only be fixed by luck and $$$$.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
John_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dt466, egr, smoke, vgt