6.0 won't start - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Ford Diesel & Truck Discussions > 2003-2007 6.0L Power Stroke

Thread Details Posted by BillCoop, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 2768 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
BillCoop

Unhappy 6.0 won't start

Truck was running fine when I shut it off last Friday. Went to start it Monday morning and would turn over but no start. Checked the ficm and have 47.7 vts with key on and same turning over. Good 6.0 guy told me prob blew tip off injector. Never heard of this. Possible ? I want to air test the hopo and need to find out fitting size at tcp. . Also heard I had to activate tcp also and wasn't sure which wire to use. Also heard tcp could be bad and cause no start. Has delete kit ,new heads,black onyx gaskets and arp studs. Did same thing bout a week ago at service station and put hypertech programmer on it erased the codes and run through steps and it started. No luck doing same thing this time. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
BillCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
BillCoop
Threadstarter

Unhappy 6.0 won't start

I meant to say the icp sensor. Someone in another thread said that I could unplug this and if it was bad it would crank. I think I Tryed thag yesterday and it still wouldn't crank. I would like to test the wires but I'm not sure how much voltage there spose to have and which ones to test. I sure wish someone would help me. I have to get it moved by Monday so my back is against the wall. Any help would b appreciated. The oil pressure gauge in the truck shows pressure but I don't think that had anything to do with hopo. Please 6.0 guys can you help a guy out. Thanks
Old 02-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
harry6.0

What year model is your truck?

Do you have a scangauge2 or similar device for reading IPR?

The symptom your having sounds like a typical bad ficm issue or a bad connection somewhere, I would check the ficm connectors and make sure they are all tightly installed.

Any stored fault codes?

Harry
Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/T5-Rotella 10w30 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)http://www.archoilspokane.com/
harry6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
BillCoop
Threadstarter

Unhappy 6.0 won't start

Thanks Harry. I've checked my ficm and I have 47.7 volts with key on and 47.7 volts when cranking over. I took ficm out and took it apart. I didn't see any loose connections and it all looked great. The wires were all snapped in the ficm very good. They were very hard to unhook. I've installed it back in the truck and I'm fixn to put the map sensor and air cleaned back in and try it. Have you ever heard of the hopo quitting like this. It was running great when I shut it off. As for codes my hypertech programmer checks for codes and at the service station when it quit the first time it had 7 codes in it. I cleared them and went through the steps and it started right up. I also checked all the fuses that day by pulling them out so some of the codes were from that. I'm at the end of my rope with this truck. I love it when it runs. Lots of power from 6.0 clean Diesel engine but when it doesn't run it's hell to try and find the problem. Thanks any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
harry6.0

Do you remember what the seven codes were?

Usually a ficm throws a bunch of low circuit injector codes, even though it reads 47v, dosen't mean its necessarily ok.

You will need to read your IPR% and ICP psi to know if you have a high pressure oil problem, something most generic scan tools will not read, but a Scangauge2 will.

If your injector tip blew out like someone said suggested to you, you would likely have a hydrolocked engine and it wouldn't even crank with the starter.

Harry
Jan 03' built 6.0/F250cc4wd trqsft/SCT-tuned by KEM-Performance/Garrett Powermax vg-turbo/blue spring mod/gauges=egt+boost+fuel+SG2/exhaust/airaid intake/DR 4.5 lift/dual bilsteins/315's/greasable ball joints/powerstop/smittybuilt/kc lights/high idle mod/roll-n-lock/T5-Rotella 10w30 with (Archoil AR9100 in the oil) and (AR6200 in the fuel)http://www.archoilspokane.com/
Old 02-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
BillCoop
Threadstarter

Red face 6.0 won't start

Harry thanks for ur help. I put everything back together this morning and it cranked!! I'm still not sure what I did but its cranked two times now. I'm letting it warm up and see what it does then. I sure hope it cranks and that I fixed it. At least it ran long enough to move it so it doesn't get towed !! For that I thank god, that's all I would have needed is to be out more expense. I really love the truck and the 6.0 engine when it runs. I've done everything that they say messes up on these motors but I guess I missed something !!! !! Ill post in a little while and let you know what happens when it warms up. I have a diesel mechanic that has a genesis machine that checks everything but he's fifty miles away and I'm going to wait until Monday to take it and have it scanned. Your right about the injector. It would hydro lock if the tip was off. Thanks for your help. Hope I get a chance to return the favor some day.
The Following User Says Thank You to BillCoop For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (02-10-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
BillCoop
Threadstarter

Truck is running now but I'm not sure what I did to fix it. I'm all most afraid to drive and I'm afraid to cut it off unless I'm at home. I took the ficm off and a part but couldn't find anything wrong. I cleaned the terminals and put the truck back together and it started. It's started ever since. My question is could cleaning the terminals have fixed it. I didn't do anything else. Worried 6.0.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #8
harry6.0

The symptoms you were experiencing and the multiple fault codes all point to a faulty ficm as very highly likely, and yes it will leave you stranded when it acts up. Ficms can be fine one day, then not the next.

I would suggest sending the ficm into Ed at http://ficmrepair.com/ and have it inspected and reconditioned. It could have a cold solder joint or some other issue that isn't showing now, but will sooner or later. Ed has an excellent reputation with repairing 6.0 ficms.

Another possibilty is the wiring harness for the ficm/injectors is compromised or chafed, but that is not nearly as common as faulty ficms are.

Process of elimination is sometimes the only way to move forward with an intermttent driveability issue, since you were messing with the ficm and now things are working again, it is the best place to start.

Harry
The Following User Says Thank You to harry6.0 For this addition to TDG:
amdriven2liv (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
amdriven2liv

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry6.0 View Post

Another possibilty is the wiring harness for the ficm/injectors is compromised or chafed, but that is not nearly as common as faulty ficms are.

Harry
I'm leaning this way Harry.
amdriven2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
BillCoop
Threadstarter

Thanks fellows. I think I found the problem. The wire going to the hopo regulator in the back of the engine was bad. It ran a few times until Friday. Started out fine. I cut it off a few times and the fourth time I cut it off it failed to crank. I came out yesterday and shook the wire to the regulator and she fired right up. I repaired it this morning and I hope I'm good to go. Ill keep everybody posted in case it helps someone else. Thanks again for y'all's help.
The Following User Says Thank You to BillCoop For this addition to TDG:
harry6.0 (03-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement