"Not For Hire" Laws - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Heavy, Medium, Work Trucks and Trailers > Heavy Duty

Thread Details Posted by Benesesso, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 12264 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-25-2006, 04:06 AM   #1
Benesesso

"Not For Hire" Laws

I'm not a comm. trucker, so if I letter my own truck with "Not For Hire" on the sides, and the truck is an IH S1900 w/GVW of 32.000 lb. do I have to stop at weigh stations and do I have to pay for all those state permits when traveling?

Would I still need a CDL?

W. Churchill
Benesesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2006, 05:55 AM   #2
Rick from Paso

I Kalifornia, anything over 26000 GVWR needs a CDL, class B or A (me thinks that is a federal law). The not for hire means nothing anything rated over 10K needs to stop at weigh stations (except pickups). The only way out is to get licensed as a motorhome/house car. If you have a sleeper that meets your state's criteria for a motorhome, you can do so. I don't know about AZ though.
Rick from Paso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
ACC inc.
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick from Paso
I Kalifornia, anything over 26000 GVWR needs a CDL, class B or A (me thinks that is a federal law). The not for hire means nothing anything rated over 10K needs to stop at weigh stations (except pickups). The only way out is to get licensed as a motorhome/house car. If you have a sleeper that meets your state's criteria for a motorhome, you can do so. I don't know about AZ though.
Agreed. under 26k no CDL. Over 26k= CDL.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
Benesesso
Threadstarter

OK, so what does the "Not for hire" signs mean? Would I still have to buy the state permits?

W. Churchill
Old 03-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
John_G
Super Moderator

Not for hire simply means that they do not have (and cannot obtain) an ICC/DOT number. Ie: the vehicle is NOT used for any commercial purpose, EVER.

There are tons of folks that place this on their vehicles in an attempt to skirt the law, they all get caught eventually. Those scale officers are well educated in the laws, and you will not fool them (for long, if at all).

I am NOT SURE, but I think that you do not have to mess with IFTA, tax reporting etc, if "Not for Hire".

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
John_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
Benesesso
Threadstarter

I now realize I'd have to stop at the weigh stations, but what about the state permits? Aren't they primarily for fuel taxes? Is the cost of them dependent on weight, number of axles, etc?

You can see I don't know much about all this.

W. Churchill
Old 03-25-2006, 05:29 PM   #7
Rick from Paso

Again, you better check with your local Dept of Motor vehicles. Here in the people's republik everything with a bed is considered commercial and pays weight fees as all commercial vehicles (because they can). If you put a shell or camper on the bed, you don't have to pay weight fees and get car plates. But if you take it off and get caught, big fines are assessed. For hire or real commercial vehicles have to obtain a Municipal Carrier Permit from the state police (CHP) or an ICC/DOT permit if you are operating across state lines. You are considered for hire or commercial if you use your truck for business purposes or even if you haul your neighbors horse and are reimbursed fuel (I found out from a CHP officer). If you go to an RV site (MDTs and HDTs are very popular for hauling 5th wheels now) and search their forums, you can find all kinds of info about commercial vs motorhome licenses for most states.

check out my buddies at:

http://escapees.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x...51&f=700606661

and the HDT forum at the same discussion board.
Rick from Paso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:57 AM   #8
guss

go to www.safersys.org/ you fill in info and it will tell you what you need.I can tell as long as you are haulling your own stuff you dont need dot #.but if you haul somebody else stuff and you charge them then you need dot #.I my self have a excavating comp and haul 99% for my self but once in a blue moon i will haul for someone else like gravel or there backhoe,and thats when i needed dot#.its no big deal to get them and to obay the laws.when you go to safersys on left side of page click on fmcsa registration&updates.there you anser the ? and it will tell you what you need.
guss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:23 AM   #9
BROKER
Haulin' Azz

Dont forget that towing a trailer for commerce , greater than 10,000lbs Gvw also requires a CDL endorsment.
BROKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:45 AM   #10
Lmackattack
Highway to Hell

everyone has basicly coverd all the laws. Every state is diffrent and sadly what works in one state may not work in another. some states will require permits if you pass through others will not. It has gotton better but there still are a few nazi states that dont want to conform and work with the majority of the states. I bob tailed from KC M.O to Chicago IL when I bought my Rig in 05. I got stopped at a scale and they made me buy fuel permits and a temp registration.....5 miles from the border! B.S. if you ask me but thats how our goverment wants to stick us. needles to say learn the laws of the states you pass through and better yet learn to avoid the scales if you have an issue.. just dont get cought bypassing a scale on a back road they love to mess with you if they know you were trying to get around them!!!!

OH...AND A FEW TWISTS OF THE FUEL SCREWS ....THANKS AGAIN... FJH!
Lmackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement