79 bronco IDI 7.3 - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Diesel Conversion > Diesel Conversion

Thread Details Posted by scratchynum1, this thread has received 25 replies and been viewed 2950 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:52 AM   #1
scratchynum1

Smile 79 bronco IDI 7.3

hello all first post! I have a 79 bronco that i swapped a 7.3 ford IDI motor into and got everything on and put together but i have some problems. first i need to figure out what to do for a tach! anyone know a wiring diagram or somthing i can use to hook up a traditional coil style tach? and also since i swaped the motor and tranny out of a 91 ford truck i need to figure out a speedo. any one have any cheap sugjestions? and finially can anyone giv e me a link to turning up the fuel pump? thanks
scratchynum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
ash_flat_diesel

Send a message via Yahoo to ash_flat_diesel
Can't help you on your problems but I am sure someone here can. Your project sounds very cool! A friend of mine has a '94 f250 stroke he rolled. We were thinking of finding a nice Bronco like a '96 Eddie Bauer & making it a stroke, ttb50, 10.25 & all. You have any pics?
ash_flat_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
nevrenufhp
Super Moderator

Here's the fuel article:
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...ead.php?t=5896
The coil style tachs dont work, unless you're really electronically gifted. There's a few diesel tachs out on the market that are decent. I think with a 91, you can still use an older style mechanical speedo, maybe even use the 79's. Just comb thru a bone yard and you'll find something. Make sure you bring along the wrong one to compare others to.

my daily driver:67 F100, 300 4V, cammed, 4 spd.
or, 98 Jetta VR6.
work rigs: 94 IH 4900, DT466(originally 230hp), #0 fuel plate, tighter gov springs, 22* timing
or, 06 IH 7400, DT466E, 300hp

My Low Buck fuel rate site:
www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp
nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
John_G
Super Moderator

The standard way to get a Tach signal on a diesel is from the alternator. Most Delco alternators have a "TACH" terminal, and some Motorcraft ones do as well.

The speedo could be more problematic. Your bronco used a mechanical speedo, and there is no provision for that on the '91 drivetrain you have, they were off the ring gear tone wheel. You may need to contact a local 4x4 shop to get a speedo drive for your transfer case.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
John_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
scratchynum1
Threadstarter

hey thanks guys the speedo is really a problem as i knew it was a rear end ring gear hall effect speedo pic up. i was just hoping that somene had a quick fix though. ill post up some pictures as soon as i figure out how. thanks for the quick response guys! and thanks for the link nevrenufhp

also on my front pump cover i have a plug a pickup on the driver side. can i use this for a tach and could somone give me a link or somthign to i can find a cheap tach?

first run in the mud after i got her together crawled into this hole and tried to sink it spinning just the back tires but when i got on it she came screaming out like a bat out of hell
Old 01-18-2007, 02:17 AM   #6
scratchynum1
Threadstarter

well guys tonight i think i may have a problem today while driving into town the oil light on the bronco came on and went off and it does so every once and awhile. was wondering what is the place place on the motor to measure oil press im really not looking forward to taring into the project so soon.:shrug: thanks
Old 01-18-2007, 02:31 AM   #7
John_G
Super Moderator

The oil sender is an idiot light switch, they fail - OFTEN.

Verify pressure with a mechanical gauge, it is common for the 6.9L/7.3L IDI engines to idle at less than 10 PSI hot, and as long as it is 6 PSI or more, and it comes up with RPM, I would not be too concerned.

I would use the next heavier weight oil, if oil pressure is tending to the low side. I don't know where you are from, but since it's January, and I don't see any snow or ice, I would say that you should be running 15W-40 year-round anyway.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
Old 01-18-2007, 02:41 AM   #8
scratchynum1
Threadstarter

thanks ill be slapping a mechanical i have at the house on tommarow and see what the result is. thanks for the info. ya im up in norther cali not much snow and the coldest it gets here is usually in the 20's and that has been this last week.

also john g do you have any ideas on the front cover pick up and making a gas style tach work off of it?
Old 01-18-2007, 02:47 AM   #9
John_G
Super Moderator

There are THREE bolts that secure the IP gear to the IP shaft, you *could* use a magnetic P/U (like an ABS or VSS sensor) to read each bolt-head and a tach set for 6 cyliners I suppose.

Don't know if the signal is strong enough, but it's worth a try.

I vote for LIBERTY!
Old 01-18-2007, 02:55 AM   #10
scratchynum1
Threadstarter

hmmmm sounds like it would spare me time and painfull words coming from my mouth and just buy a diesel tach lol thanks for the thoughts. ill probly post some more pictures tommarow of the truck and the engine

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement