Main/Rod bearing replacement - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Dodge Diesel & Truck Discussion > 5.9L Cummins 12 Valve (1994-1998.5)

Thread Details Posted by CTDNewbie, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 4441 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:51 AM   #1
CTDNewbie

Main/Rod bearing replacement

I justed picked up this well used '96 to be used as a work truck. This is not only my first Cummins but my first Dodge as well. I have worked on Ford diesels for years but I have next to no experience with the mighty 5.9.
Anyway the trans is coming out for a rebuild this weekend and I was thinking of knocking out the main and rod bearings when everything is accessible(oil pressure is a little on the low side). Has anyone tried to do this in vehicle? It looks like the oil pan will come out if the trans is removed but I am not sure if there is enough access to properly measure clearances and torque the caps correctly. If I have the oil pan out is there anything else I could check/replace? Thanks in advance.
CTDNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2007, 02:06 AM   #2
Bouncer

Better plan on pulling the motor. All Cummins torque specs on the bottom end are X amount of ft. pounds plus a quarter turn. You will need the room and I am almost certain the engine has to be taken out of the motors mounts and raised a little to get the pan off.

Might be a dumb question, but have you changed the oil? Also remember the 12v run slightly less oil pressure than the 24v do. There is not but a few psi on my truck between low idle and high idle.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:05 AM   #3
D_B

The engines are not that hard to pull. Have a good heavy cherry picker with at least a 2ton rating and one of those levelers for the cherry picker and if you already have the tranny out it won't take long at all.

Once out you can tip the engine up on it's bell housing. I used some 4x4 treated posts and made a stand to sit the bell housing on. It worked great for me.

Here are some pics of us pulling my engine out without the head on it.

Engine Pics

DB
4:10's, all kinds of goodies and doodads!

NRA Lifer
D_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:05 AM   #4
Dieselwrencher
TDG Mafia Member #56

Nice truck and nice garage. I like that bumper too. How does she run now?
1968 Corvette Coupe 5.9 cummins 47RH with Goerend parts assembled by Gilmore Performance 180 pump built by Smokem 12pt cage Ford 9" with spool 35 spline moser axles pro gears Quick Time DOT drag slicks tilt front end soon to get paint and more air.
1995 F-350 Crew Cab soon to be 6 door DRW Hauler project: 5.9 conversion in progress ZF5 speed destroked adaptor plate King pin D60 3.55 gears

Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:11 AM   #5
86 1 tonhauler
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #72

Send a message via Yahoo to 86 1 tonhauler
u might want to go ahead and check the oil pick up screen and replace the oil pump that would help big time
1986 f-350 6.9 dually str8 piped ,maxed out injection pump ,bucket seats, diamond plate flat bed,propane injection, on board aircompressor, train horns,goose neck plate, future mod , custom built turbo kit with intercooler and dual 4" miter cut stacks TDG DUALLY CLUB #5
RIDIN DIRTY #44
01 chevy 2500 HD 4x4 duramax

anybody got any used 4" miter cut stack laying around? pm me if ya do

quote: BARRY1ME: BTW I love your sig about engineers....but it should be changed to, if the engineers believe it isnt broke it doesnt have enough content removed from it. And thats the truth! (FYI I am engineer and work for Ford lol) At Ford the goal is to make the part barely good enough to passing DV (developmental validation) testing....If it passes way beyond the test then the part was overengineered, and content needs to be removed to reduce cost.

I CANT KEEP UP!!! HELP!!!
86 1 tonhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #6
Dieselwrencher
TDG Mafia Member #56

I would go ahead and yank the motor out. You prolly won't be able to do a good job while it is still in the truck. And like someone mentioned before you would have fun torqing the mains. Once you get the coolers out you would be 3/4's the way there.
1968 Corvette Coupe 5.9 cummins 47RH with Goerend parts assembled by Gilmore Performance 180 pump built by Smokem 12pt cage Ford 9" with spool 35 spline moser axles pro gears Quick Time DOT drag slicks tilt front end soon to get paint and more air.
1995 F-350 Crew Cab soon to be 6 door DRW Hauler project: 5.9 conversion in progress ZF5 speed destroked adaptor plate King pin D60 3.55 gears

Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
CTDNewbie
Threadstarter

Thanks for all the great responses. Looks like I will be pulling the whole drivetrain. Nothing like learning a new product on the fly.....
CTDNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement