GMC C6500 automatic trans "range inhibit" light - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Heavy, Medium, Work Trucks and Trailers > Heavy Duty

Thread Details Posted by harb57, this thread has received 1 replies and been viewed 5713 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:46 AM   #1
harb57

GMC C6500 automatic trans "range inhibit" light

I have a 2001 gmc c6500 with an allison automatic trans. I have had a few things happen that I'm not sure of and hope someone here knows about.

The first and I think this is minor, was last week after the truck had sat about a month( started reguarly but not moved) I put it into drive and nothing happened---so I shifted into reverse then to drive and everything was ok.

Today after unloading the truck I got in, shifted from neutral to drive and nothing, but this time I got a "range Inhibit" light. After shifting to reverse and back to drive light went out and transmission went into gear.

What does the range inhibit light mean. Other than that the trans shifts fine when driving. This is the first truck I've had with an auto trans.

Thanks
harb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
Birken Vogt
Fire App. Mech.

If it is an Allison 1000, 2000 or 2400 series it could be related to the Manual Lever Position Switch (MLPS) which is mounted on the shift shaft on the left side of the transmission. The early ones from your vintage were not sealed very well and the water screwed them up. I think the black ones were the early ones and they then changed to brown later with an orange gasket which was the improved version. It is a different PN.

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement