Help replacing Fuel Filter 1996 6.5 TD - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > GM Diesel & Truck Discussion > 6.5L Diesel Engine

Thread Details Posted by dieselburban, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 5831 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
dieselburban

Help replacing Fuel Filter 1996 6.5 TD

I have a 1996 6.5 TD Suburban. I need to checnge the fuel filter. Could anyone please give me a step by step to do that.

Also if anyone is a diagnostic expert, I would be so greatful if you could answer a couple question for me on my rig.

Thanks
HR
dieselburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
chrisk1500

Step one - take out the old filter
Step two - put in the new filter
Step three - bleed the new filter

14.1 @96.2 MPH

84 Chev 1500, 6.2, auto
chrisk1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:37 AM   #3
dieselburban
Threadstarter

Thanks but.....

Only had this truck a short time and not even sure where it is located. Any help would be great.
dieselburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:17 AM   #4
Horsehaulin
TDG Mafia # 81

Remove the Turbo Power cover and put it on a shelf permanetly, then look back at the center near the firewall. Filter has a little black nipple looking thing on top, with a plastic retainer ring. Twist off the 3in plastic retainer with large slip joint pliers or something of the nature. Pull the old filter out, check the marks on the new one and twist it until it wont twist anymore to be sure you have it in the grooves properly. Tighten retainer back on, loosen bleeder valve(nipple) and turn key on and off until fuel shoots out the nipple, then tighten the bleeder and start the truck.

Something that might help is flushing out the housing, let the truck run and loosen up the brass t handle nee the alternator. Let the fuel flow for ten seconds. Tighten the t-valve and you are good to go. Also, you could clean the filter housing with a shop rag while you have the filter out.

Tony

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
Horsehaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:29 AM   #5
HeavyChevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburban
Only had this truck a short time and not even sure where it is located. Any help would be great.
I got a '95 6.5TD in a Silverado. I suspect they are simular.
1. Remove engine cover.
2. Look between the back of the intake and the firewall. You'll see this soda can sized filter housing with a retaining ring around the top of it. There may be a plastic tab and black bleeder valve on top of it. Loosen and remove the large outter plastic retaining ring.
3. Using the plastic tab or the top shoulder of the fuel filter, without making a mess lift straight up and remove. Try not to stirr up the sediment on the filter and dont let it drip off into the filter housing. Have an old butter dish ready to quickly transfer the old filter in and properly dispose.
4. The fuel filter is key'd so it only goes in one way and will drop in once properly key'd. Lube the oil ring and insert new filter and install retaining ring.
5. Bleed system????? CAREFUL HERE. IF it doesn't start right away, only turn the engine over for about 15 seconds, then wait for about 5 minutes before you try again. If not, you run the risk of burning out your starter prematurely.
Ask me how I know that....

For some darn reason, The dealerships, nor I can bleed mine any other way other than to turn the engine over for extended periods. Simply opening the bleeder valve and switching the ignition on, and/or bumping the starter does nothing????
Anyhow, once you start it and run it for a few, shut it off and check for leaks.

6. Reinstall the engine cover.

I think that about covers it.... Good Luck...
HeavyChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:31 AM   #6
Horsehaulin
TDG Mafia # 81

A 95 does not prime when the key is initially turned on, thats why you have to turn over the engine. 96 and newer prime the pump when the key is turned on for three seconds or more. 95 back are a little more primitive, but in some aspects they are easier to work on than 96 on.

Tony

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox
Old 08-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
HeavyChevy

Quote:
A 95 does not prime when the key is initially turned on, thats why you have to turn over the engine
Jiffy Lube, GoodYear and GM have toasted my starter at one time or another, and all of 'em right after R&R'n the fuel filter.
ying ying ying ying ying ying ying ying ying ying ying ying relentlessly....
It once got so bad that I now inform and WARN anyone who swaps the filter out, DONT BURN DOWN MY NEW STARTER. I found filling the Filter housing with diesel fuel just before securing the new filter eliminates alot of unneccessary cranking..... Is there any better way to bleed the '95 ????
Old 08-08-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
chrisk1500

On a 95 you put the truck in 'D' and turn the key (engine not running) - LP should prime...

If not, you should be able to jump the LP through the ALDL...

14.1 @96.2 MPH

84 Chev 1500, 6.2, auto
chrisk1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:52 AM   #9
HeavyChevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk1500
On a 95 you put the truck in 'D' and turn the key (engine not running) - LP should prime...
I'll be sure to try that next time. Thanks...

Quote:
If not, you should be able to jump the LP through the ALDL...
Ahhh,,,, what??? ROFLMAO
Old 08-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #10
Horsehaulin
TDG Mafia # 81

Instead of filling it with diesel, fill the filter housing with Stanadyne, Amsoil, or someother diesel fuel cleaner. I prefer Amsoil, I could really smell it cleaning for the first few minutes the truck was running. Do not fill it with ATF, some old timers have told others to do this, and IP's end up having a shorter life due to the Friction Modifiers in the ATF.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Advertisement