mechanical shuttle versus hydraulic shuttle - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Heavy, Medium, Work Trucks and Trailers > Utility & Farm Tractors

Thread Details Posted by Duke, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 2551 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
Duke
'Ol Builder guy

mechanical shuttle versus hydraulic shuttle

Anyone own a mechanical shuttle tractor?

I know a hydraulic shuttle is nicer to drive and requires no clutch, but can any advantage be said about a mechanical shuttle other than a lower purchase price on the tractor?

I would think it's cheaper to fix, more reliable and less complex?

Trying to think of any advantages they might have over their more expensive hydraulic counterparts.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
86 1 tonhauler
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #72

Send a message via Yahoo to 86 1 tonhauler
manual shuttle is better , simple , less parts and u know it in gear , hyd shuttle more parts the lever goes bad , relays start to go bad and a few other parts, i used to run a ford 3930 with manual shuttle never had problems with it , new a guy with a hyd shuttle and if gave him chit
1986 f-350 6.9 dually str8 piped ,maxed out injection pump ,bucket seats, diamond plate flat bed,propane injection, on board aircompressor, train horns,goose neck plate, future mod , custom built turbo kit with intercooler and dual 4" miter cut stacks TDG DUALLY CLUB #5
RIDIN DIRTY #44
01 chevy 2500 HD 4x4 duramax

anybody got any used 4" miter cut stack laying around? pm me if ya do

quote: BARRY1ME: BTW I love your sig about engineers....but it should be changed to, if the engineers believe it isnt broke it doesnt have enough content removed from it. And thats the truth! (FYI I am engineer and work for Ford lol) At Ford the goal is to make the part barely good enough to passing DV (developmental validation) testing....If it passes way beyond the test then the part was overengineered, and content needs to be removed to reduce cost.

I CANT KEEP UP!!! HELP!!!
86 1 tonhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
bmoeller

Do you mean a powershift transmission or a reverser? None of the older ones had electronics, and were still very reliable, as long as they have clean oil and good hyd pressure. They can still take a LOT of abuse.

Even the newer electronically controlled transmissions are pretty reliable. Most of our big tractors have powershift trannys, and have little to no trouble with them at all.

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.
bmoeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
sbrem

My kubota has a mechanical shuttle. It works just fine for me. Sure, a hydraulic shuttle is nicer to run, but the mechanical works just fine and is simpler
sbrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
DieselMonk

The only 2 pluses on a mechanical shuttle shift is:
a: lower cost
b: doesn't breake down (no solinoids going bad and being stuck in either forward other reverse).

I'd rather have a power shuttle than a mechanical one. Just makes a lot of working with the tractor so much better.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:01 AM   #6
thejdman04

Im on the other end of the spectrum, hydraulic is usually much better. Most people w/a mechanical shuttle get in a hrry and grind and jam them pretty ahrd, even the average homeowner grinds it a bit, hydraulics take the "company man" abuse much better. YOu can go full spedd forward to reverse w/o letting off the throttle many times a day w/a hdraulic and not hav ea problem. New hydraulic shuttle shifts are reliable, youll get more productivity out of a hydraulic too if your using it for business.
1996 Gmc k2500 4x4 6.5 turbo diesel, with mods Blew the head gasket, put all new heads, valves, injecotrs gaskets etc on the truck only to get it together and find out it had no oil pressure, and sounded horrible (pry a spun bearing). SOLD
2007 chevrolet 2500hd Duramax loaded. GM LEMON BUYBACK
2007 Chevrolet LBZ 1 ton crew cab 8ft box
on star, xm, tow mirrors, 145 amp alt,
#23 Singles Club
thejdman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement