2003 Lincoln Navigator Diesel? - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Diesel Conversion > Diesel Conversion

Thread Details Posted by DAFTEK, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 2777 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
DAFTEK

2003 Lincoln Navigator Diesel?

Hi guys, I'm new here and to the diesel arena. I have a 2003 Lincoln Navigator and i am approaching the 200k mark on it, i drive allot in the Midwest and have had it from day 1 but she still looks like the day i brought her home from the dealer.

I have a friend who owns a shop and does all my service work on my cars, we wore playing with the idea of putting in a diesel in the navigator when the engine dies, he thinks the Cummings engine would be the easiest conversion vs. a PSD 6.0. My only complaint about this is that i have heard all 3 engines and for some reason the Duramax is much more quiet then the rest of them. Here is what i am looking out of this truck and maybe you cool people can guide me to the diesel glow light :thanks:

1.No towing, if any very light trailer with a car very rare.
2.Want fuel efficiency.
3.Quiet engine would be nice for a lux vehicle i like the Magnaflow gas engine sound, is that feasible on a diesel?
4.Max power that wont kill the stock rear? It has 4x4 +4 wheel air ride with rear independent suspension..
5.What do i really need? Besides the engine i would assume the trany needs to be replaced also, i hear the Allison is the best? Rear axle convert from independent to a full axle drive?

Dan.
DAFTEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
TYREBOYZ_DMAXIN
Tyre Frier

the duramax will probalily be your best choice if you want a quiet and quick truck with a slightly modded allison and 500rwhp you should be in the high 12's in the quarter...
Diesels are sort of like religions...strip away all the theatrics and dramatics, and you end up with pretty much the same core..a diesel is a diesel is a diesel, only difference is the names and different gizmos attached.
TYREBOYZ_DMAXIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
HighTQCummins
Mafia #42

Send a message via AIM to HighTQCummins
With any modern diesel, the power is a little high for stock axles, if you can get a good line on a Dmax + allison you will have a very quiet truck, however, it won't be easy to shoe horn in there, plus the DMAX Alli Drive train plus xfer case is a very long drive train, custom drive shafts will have to be made, i wouldn't look much into adding power to it because stock axles will be weak.

TDG and the Mafia lives on

TDG B.O.M.B. Squad #5

My Truck:2007 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4

Diesel is in my blood, I guess you can call it a disease, sadly there is no cure for it, it's my cross I must carry
HighTQCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
TYREBOYZ_DMAXIN
Tyre Frier

there is a guy that joined another forum and he does all kinds of custom conversions and the one SUV he did was transferrd the body onto a 3/4 ton frame and susprsion so the only thing changed was the body witch was a Yukon with a 500hp duramax..
Diesels are sort of like religions...strip away all the theatrics and dramatics, and you end up with pretty much the same core..a diesel is a diesel is a diesel, only difference is the names and different gizmos attached.
TYREBOYZ_DMAXIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
John_G
Super Moderator

Use the VT275 from the Ford LCF.

V-6, PowerStroke, 200 HP and it mates to the 5R110 (TorqShift).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
John_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #6
DAFTEK
Threadstarter

Did not know ford had a V6 powerstroke Are those easy to get? What else would i need, i do imagine the v6 would be much more fuel efficient also but wont the Navi be abit to large for that engine? She does weigh allot...

Where do i even find one and the harness & Computer for it?
Old 09-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
John_G
Super Moderator

Well they use the V-6 PSD in the LCF, and the chassis alone is about 6500#, and the GCWR of the truck is around 25,000# as I recall.

200 HP @ 2700 RPM
440 Lb-Ft @ 1800 RPM

That should be plenty.

The CF/LCF have the engine and transmission controllers mounted to a bracket behind the cab, harness would be included. I do not know how you could make the turck gauges work, but if there is a will there is a way.

Engine comes standard with A/C and P/S so that is no problem. Take the HFCM off the CF/LCF for a fuel pump and you are mostly set fro the drivetrain part.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
Old 09-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
DAFTEK
Threadstarter

John_G Thanks so much for the info, I just did a bit of looking around on this engine and found that there wore Expeditions that had this motor installed for ford and then ford backed out of the deal? If this thing bolts up to the stock navigator tranny then this would be a perfect setup, i would expect about 30mpg out of these without a heavy foot?

I searched the net but cant find a plcae that sells these...
Old 09-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
John_G
Super Moderator

Yes, Ford had the V-6 PSDs in almost everything bigger than a Ranger.

Then Mr. Nasser decided that it would be a drain on the highly profitable Super Duty sales to have smaller trucks with diesels, so Ford abandoned the program.

That sure was smart of them. - NOT.

Ford would have been the ONLY supplier of Diesel SUVs and LD pickups in the USA. Sure, they would have lost a few sales of the SD products, but they would have cornered the market with the LD trucks.

Look for a wrecked unit, I know they are out there, I have seen a few in my travels.

I vote for LIBERTY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement