putting a resistor in the ICP sensor - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Ford Diesel & Truck Discussions > 1994-2003 7.3L Power Stroke

Thread Details Posted by powerstrokin8, this thread has received 74 replies and been viewed 8079 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:10 AM   #1
powerstrokin8

putting a resistor in the ICP sensor

i saw where i can put a resistor in my ICP sensor and trick it into thinking my oile pressure is lower than it is to increase throttle response and blow extra smoke. what do you guys think about this and what size would be the best, really low like a 3 or 5K or something higher like a 10 or 18K resistor?
Attached Images

powerstrokin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
fuelman
JD

15k is about the max,if you are running a dp or tw tuner you don't need it most others you will see an improvement
fuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
fuelman
JD

Acttually realizing you have a superduty you probably can go 18k.You should go to ford-trucks.com look in the 94.5 to 97 powerstroke forum look for coonhunterjoe he did extinsive testing on this recently great thread w/a better way of installing inline.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
John_G
Super Moderator

DO NOT do this with an Automatic transmission equipped vehicle!

The PCM also controls the trans, you WILL fry it. Maybe not today, but way sooner than would otherwise happen.

PS: No, it is not because the trans cannot handle the power, it is because it does not "know" about it.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
John_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
fuelman
JD

This mod has been talked about at length in other forums, I have never heard about any consequence to automatic trannys. Most of the guys running these mods have autos,and some are ford techs who really know their stuff on all aspects of PSDs.....
Old 09-21-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
fuelman
JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_G
DO NOT do this with an Automatic transmission equipped vehicle!

The PCM also controls the trans, you WILL fry it. Maybe not today, but way sooner than would otherwise happen.

PS: No, it is not because the trans cannot handle the power, it is because it does not "know" about it.

Question for clearity,how does fooling the pcm into believeing that injector oil pressure is low therefore raising oil pressure (something that it is designed to do) effect the operation of the tranny the two aren't related functions.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
dotson90
Cummin' get ya some!

ive had a 10k in there since day one never had truble just idles a little more rough but makes the throttle alot more touchy and makes the smoke a little thicker but never had any problems with it
2001 Ford F-250 4X4 Extended Cab Lariat 7.3L Auto. EDGE EZ, Diablo Predator Programmer, 10k Mod, Foil Delete, ZooDad Mod, 4-in. Straight Custom Exhaust, 2 in. Blocks in front, 35 in. Pro-Comp Xtreme A/T, Rhino Lining in Bed, Limo Tint all the way around and thats about all....for now!

2000 VW Jetta TDI Manual 5 Spd. Bone Stock and averaging 45 mpg!
dotson90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
John_G
Super Moderator

The E4OD/4R100 are electronically controlled transmissions. The "PCM" is the computer that controls both engine and transmisson functions, hence the "Powertrain" part of Powertrain Control Module.

When you LIE to the PCM about ICP (forcing the sensor LOW), it compensates by increasing the IPR duty cycle (or Pulse Width) until the ICP voltage is back to where the PCM expects it to be. This causes more fuel to be injected (more pressure + same "On Time" = more fuel) than the PCM believes is being injected.

The PCM works off of "look-up" tables for things like timing, trans line pressure, shift timing, converter lock-up (both pressure and timing). ALL these tables are based on engine LOAD.

Since the PCM thinks LESS fuel is being injected than actually is being injected, it believes also that the LOAD is lower.

Result, late shifts, soft whifts, line pressure lower than SHOULD be there, converter locked/unlocked when it should not be, and slipping. All this leads to trans failures.

Now, there are a handful of people who are "very knowledgeable" on the interactions of the PCM, engine and transmission. Two still work for SCT, the other is off on his own again, and is a former Ford transmission engineer.

NONE would ever suggest a mod such as this, and all can explain in greater detail than I about the reasons why - I have just scratched the surface.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
John_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
RacerX
AMERICAN INGENUITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelman
Acttually realizing you have a superduty you probably can go 18k.You should go to ford-trucks.com look in the 94.5 to 97 powerstroke forum look for coonhunterjoe he did extinsive testing on this recently great thread w/a better way of installing inline.
Welcome Fuelman.
I have read some of the Coonhunters transmission threads. If you read the valve body thread, notice it was a body from his "old" transmission. Ask why he needed a new one . Also why did he drill a $300 + body when he could have done the same thing to a $10 seperator plate? Bound up clutches both on always hit hard and wear out fast. The idea is 1 on 1 off firm and quick with minimum overlap. Well enough said.

We are glad your here. Stick around, you'll learn the safe tweaks here in the chips and tuners forum. Send some of the trucks.com over here--no need to burn down the house to start a fire like the Mr Coon hound approach. :idea:
-
-
-
-
The Racer X Built- E4OD THAT CAN -Video. 1997 Ford F-350 7.3 twin turboed PSD. Powered by 473 + cc's of Fuel and Nitrous. TDG members & team: Booner, Fuzzys69, Pipewhiner...Family owned & sponsored by :
DIY-injectors tdg's DZLJIM

American Ingenuity, Half Of American is I CAN.
LC-39A SA-506 SM-107 LM-5 CM-107

Visit us at :Racer X Automotive
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
fuelman
JD

I'm by no means a tranny guy but your bio is impressive,that being said I don't understand how modded icp tears out auto tranny ?? Willing to learn though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement