I need torque specs for a 96 6.5 - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > GM Diesel & Truck Discussion > 6.5L Diesel Engine

Thread Details Posted by oldendays, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 8893 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
oldendays

Exclamation I need torque specs for a 96 6.5

:shrug: i have searched, honest, and i just cant find it here on this site. If anyone else knows where i may have overlooked it, please feel free to throw the book at me.

:RTFM:

If anyone has this info (all torque specs for the engine, we are doing a complete rebuild) we need them! You can email me or post them here and either will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks from a newbie.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
HeavyChevy

FWIW, I'd invest $20.00 in a Haynes Diesel Engine Repair Manual #10330 or the like.
No way would I attempt a total rebuild without a manual, if for nothing other than the torque specs, just not worth the risk IMO.
I'll list what I can as it pertains ONLY to the '96 6.5TD but dont assume its all correct, READ verify these numbers!

'96 6.5TD Torque Specs-----------Ft-lbs (unless otherwise noted)

Camshaft Sprockt bolt.............................................. ........126
Camshaft thrust plate bolt.............................................. ....17
Connecting rod cap nuts.............................................. ......48
Crankshaft damper bolt.............................................. ........200
Crankshaft pulley bolts............................................. ...........30
Cylinder head bolts
First step.............................................. ...........................20
Second step.............................................. ........................50
Third step...................................Tighten an additional 90-degrees
Engine block to transmission...................................... ............30
Engine mount to cylinder block bolts.......................................75
Engine mount to frame bolts............................................. .....50
Exhaust manifold bolts............................................. .............26
Flywheel/Driveplate bolts............................................. ..........65
Fuel injection pump mounting nuts...........................................31
Front cover bolts............................................. ....................33
Fuel Injector to cylinder head.............................................. ..50
Glow plug.............................................. ....................156 inch lbs
Hydraulic lifter guide plate bolts............................................1 8
Injector line fitting........................................... ..................18
Injector nozzles........................................... ......................50
Injector pump gear bolts............................................. .........17
Injector pump gear nuts.............................................. ........31
Intake manifold bolts............................................. ..............31
Main bearing cap bolts
Inner............................................. ..................................110
Outer............................................. .................................100
Oil pump drive- clamp bolt.............................................. ......31
Oil pump cover screws............................................ .............12
Oil pump to bearing cap bolts............................................. ....65
Oil pan to crankcase bolts
All except 2 rear.............................................. .............84 inch lbs
Two rear.............................................. .............................17
Oil pan to timing cover bolts............................................8 4 inch lbs
Oil pan drain bolt.............................................. ...................20
Oil cooler lines to oil filter base.............................................. 12
Oil cooler lines to radiator.......................................... ...........25
Pulley to vibration damper bolts............................................. .20
Rocker arm shaft bolts............................................. .............40
Thermostat housing bolts............................................. .........31
Timing cover bolts............................................. ..................33
Turbocharger to exhaust manifold bolts....................................37
Vacuum pump clamp bolt.............................................. .........31
Valve cover bolts............................................. ....................16
Vibration damper bolt.............................................. ............200
Water pump plate to water pump bolts....................................17
Water pump to front cover bolts............................................. 32
Water pump plate to front cover bolts......................................17

AGAIN, verify these numbers... Good Luck.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
oldendays
Threadstarter

Thanks, and i will be looking for a "haynes" etc. book today while i am out getting parts.

I would REALLY like to put an "upgrade chip" on this while we have it torn down to increase pulling power in the hills.

I was told that this engine might not handle that extra torque etc.
What do you all think?
From what i have seen so far on this site, you folks do this all the time with some success. Can just simply replacing the factory chip make a noticable increase or do i have to do a mojor upgrade; new/different turbo, etc?
Old 10-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
Dazedandconfused
Cummins Man

WIth you having a fresh engine I dont see it being a problem. The crank is the week link so have it checked out good.
84 Dodge D-150
Old 10-03-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
oldendays
Threadstarter

My brother-in-law and all that side of the family have been building/re-building racecar engines now for about 30 years, they just havent done very many diesels, so this is sorta new teritory for them and me. I trust them to do it right, cause they dont wanna have to mess with it again ! lol
Old 10-03-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
Dazedandconfused
Cummins Man

A short block 6.5 is no diffferent then a short block 5.7. Have the crank magnafluxed I think is what they call it for hairline cracks. I would go ahead and put a new crank in it just to be on the safe side.
84 Dodge D-150
Old 10-03-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
oldendays
Threadstarter

Yeah, had one head cracked so we are replacing both with new ones.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #8
Dazedandconfused
Cummins Man

You useing stock pistons or lower compression ones?
84 Dodge D-150
Old 10-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
oldendays
Threadstarter

:shrug: ooo, not sure, i am just doing the grunt work, i am not the mechanical expert, my brother-in-law is. I know they just got some new ones in and the piston rings were already attached for some damn reason, and they broke off, or were already broken to begin with.
They called the place they ordered them from, and the guy says "I bet your calling about the piston rings..." issed:

So i assume that problem is in the works.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
oldendays
Threadstarter

I went and bought the Haynes rebuild book today at Autozone (can i say that name in here?lol) So that is done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread