rocker arm problems need immediate help!!!!! - TheDieselGarage.com
TheDieselGarage.com

Home Forum Who's Online Today's Posts Vendors Advertise
Go Back   TheDieselGarage.com > Ford Diesel & Truck Discussions > 1994-2003 7.3L Power Stroke

Thread Details Posted by thehammer, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1041 times.

TheDieselGarage.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
thehammer
new to the game

rocker arm problems need immediate help!!!!!

Whats up everyone, first off I would like to say that I am new to diesel's but I can wrench. This site has been invaluable to me thus far (2 weeks) .THANK YOU!!!!!! I have an issue while doing an injector o-ring replacement I noticed some pivot bearing wear on some of the rocker arms , one was really bad the clip would not hold the assembly together! Anyway no bent rods .My questions are : would the bad RAA(rocker arm assembly) cause any type of smoking problem. Where ca i get some affordable RAA'S ? Also my drivers side VCG is melted on the inside front where the injector/glow plug harness plugs in ,actually they're fused together! should I be looking for the cause of these problems or just replace parts ? I got to get my E-350 back on the road need to feed the kids, its a 96 Thanks
thehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Macktruckdriver
Diesel Pro

Not shure what to say about the rocker arms but I will tell you about the VCG melting. It melted because the wires in the VCG shorted. Most of the 7.3 power strokes 97 and older did this. It usualy causes the truck to shut off or run rough for no reason then work fine 5 min later. For makes a kit to replace the VCG plugs and the VCG. I just did another truck that had that problem and it was around $500 for the parts with our discount so have fun with that part.
Macktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #3
pontiacross

$500 sems a bit high to repair the valve cover gaskets. you can get the valve cover gaskets for about $35 a peice, the Undervalve cover harnesses for around $30 each (there are 2 per side) and there is a kit to replace the connector on the out side of the valve cover ( i think it comes with 2 connectors) and not sure what it costs but would be supprised it it was over $50. It still isn't cheep if you have to replace everything but you may not have to do the external connectors and you can probably find the parts cheeper than that.
I have never seen the rocker arms wear on a 7.3 so I'm not sure what to tell you on that but your best bet on parts may be your local international dealer
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
pontiacross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
pontiacross

you could try this place for rocker arms they have them listed for about $16http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/p...layCatalogid=0
I have never bought anything from them but it gives you some where to compare prices with.
by the way the melted valver cover harnesses are very common on the older engins.
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
thehammer
new to the game
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacross
you could try this place for rocker arms they have them listed for about $16http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/p...layCatalogid=0
I have never bought anything from them but it gives you some where to compare prices with.
by the way the melted valver cover harnesses are very common on the older engins.
ponticross thank's for the info .could you tell me what site i can get the VC and UVC parts from
Old 11-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
pontiacross

this site has them they call the uvc harnesses fuel charge harnesshttp://www.powerstrokepartsusa.com/category.asp?cat=2
You may have to go to ford or international if you need the external conectors

Tow Rig

Old 11-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #7
pontiacross

if you decide to buy stuff from powerstrokeshop you might give them a call they may have the gasket and harnesses too, but I couldn't find them.

Tow Rig

Sponsored Links
Advertisement